Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
BALDI.....OPEN THE FLOODGATES!!!

Its happenning and the  anti-Norm contingent are running for cover. Lets give this guy some credit. Hes on fire, even if it has to do with the new hirings
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:18:24 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:49:50 PM by NYCbuckeye »

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
posted on redmen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=lawlor_christopher&id=3544469

Before he closes out his illustrious prep career, Stephenson will choose a college. He won't tip his hand but hinted programs such as Memphis, Kansas, Texas, St. John's and Southern California are in the mix.

Two decades ago, St. John's might have been a no-brainer for a Brooklyn kid (see Chris Mullin or Mark Jackson). Despite the Red Storm's recent struggles, Stephenson is intrigued.

"I'm looking at them hard," Stephenson said. "It would be great to bring back New York and rebuild one of the great programs. It's close to home; my family could see me play, but I'm interested also in seeing new places and going away."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2008, 01:17:29 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/21/boost-mobile-lance-planning-visits/#more-2435

Asked if he was still considering St. John’s, Stephenson said, “Yeah, yeah.”
St. John’s just got a commitment from Omari Lawrence of South Kent (Conn.), but Stephenson said that wouldn’t necessarily impact his decision.
“Omari Lawrence is a good player. He’s from New York and he comes from a good school,” he said.
 Whatever happens, he won’t decide until after the season.
“Right now, I’m just worrying about basketball and at the end I’ll do all that college stuff,” he said. “I’m going to do my high school season and after that I look forward to telling everybody what school I should go to.”

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2008, 04:19:06 PM »
According to rivals Lance has had an "epiphany"... he now wants to become a point guard.. :o .. here's the jist of the aricle :

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=840923

When asked what his plans are for the Elite 24 game on Friday at Rucker Park in Manhattan, NY, Stephenson said, "I want to break Brandon Jennings' assist record."

This looks to be part of a serious shift in Stephenson's game approach. Apparently, Stephenson has had an epiphany saying, "I'm trying to see if I could be a real point guard. Try to make assists. Try to be a playmaker."

Asked if point guard is a position that he wants to play going forward to get to the next level, Stephenson responded, "Yeah, that's what I'm working on now. I don't think I'm going to get any taller so I think I'm a good point guard height."

The jury is out as to whether Stephenson can flip the script and become the ultimate playmaker, using his exceptional scoring ability as a back-up weapon similar to the NBA's Steve Nash.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
I think I read something on Lance on Rivals perhaps it said the same thing about being a PG. It said he is a very good passer when he wants to be. I'm not sure where it was I read it I'm sure it will surface up on here though.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
I think I read something on Lance on Rivals perhaps it said the same thing about being a PG. It said he is a very good passer when he wants to be. I'm not sure where it was I read it I'm sure it will surface up on here though.

I left this line out of the synopsis :

"To Stephenson's credit, in addition to being a phenomenal scoring machine, he is also an exceptional passer when he wants to be."

- Maurice Wingate, NYC hoops editor

p.s. - keep in mind this is from the same guy who "reported" that Parrom was commiting to SJU yesterday morning.. ??? .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:28:46 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
Stephenson A Johnnie?

August 22, 2008

by Maurice Wingate, RedStormReport.com Editor

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=841154

On Thursday, when asked about the possibilities of committing St. John's, Stephenson said, "St. John's is looking real good right now. I'm trying to bring New York back so I think that (St. John's) would be a good decision."

Asked if he think he would work well with the recent St. John's commit Omari Lawrence, Stephenson said, "Yeah, I think me and him could bring New York back."

Stephenson, shifting to point guard status might actually bode well with the possibilities of him becoming a member of the Red Storm and playing along side of Lawrence, who is a shooting guard. With Stephenson at point guard, the competition for minutes becomes a moot issue.

Stephenson also confirmed that even he and Durand Scott, another high level New York player, have already discussed the 'what if' possibilities of them both playing together on the Johnnies and the impact it would have on the team and the city.

Asked about his opinion of St. John's, as a team, right now and in the near future, the rising junior from the NYS federation defending champion Abraham Lincoln HS said, "They've already got a couple of good players and a good big man and I think with a new point guard coming in, we can work with it."

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:37:48 PM by oldred10 »

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
this guy is pure drama!

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
this guy is pure drama!

In mo ways than one, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »
this guy is pure drama!
He is, but I'd love for him to join us.

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
Yea well Omari, Durand, and Lance have been hanging out the past few nights at Elite 24. Omari told me that they would be talking..... I guess they have been.

Randomhero423

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
lance can play pg.  i've said that already.  i think some reason he isn't is because of the height of buddha ellis, and the depth they had last year w/ staten and flowers.  they didn't need lance at pg, this year i can see them experimenting with that idea.   

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
lance can play pg.  i've said that already.  i think some reason he isn't is because of the height of buddha ellis, and the depth they had last year w/ staten and flowers.  they didn't need lance at pg, this year i can see them experimenting with that idea.  

If yo definition of PG is a playa who can take the ball up the court, dribble fo a while and then either try to drive fo a layup or jack up a 20 foot J witout lookin at another playa... then yeah, Lance is a point.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:18 PM »
Yea well Omari, Durand, and Lance have been hanging out the past few nights at Elite 24. Omari told me that they would be talking..... I guess they have been.

p.s. - If omari pulls that off he will be a "legend" before he even puts on the Red & White..  ;) ;D .. fact is NYC is right there for the TAKIN' fellas... listen to to your boy!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:37:30 PM by oldred10 »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »
Oh, hell, man.  I hope he comes and Boothe gets on a stepladder and knocks him out for talking about his spot like that.

Dude talks just to make sure he can still hear his own dulcet tones.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:48:34 PM by peter »

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »
If yo definition of PG is a playa who can take the ball up the court, dribble fo a while and then either try to drive fo a layup or jack up a 20 foot J witout lookin at another playa... then yeah, Lance is a point.
Those are two of Stretch's favorite plays on his new AAU team.  ;D

Randomhero423

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »

as a PG i'm assuming he'd look at other guys.  he's also got the bball iq already.  if he can control his emotions and look for his team mates more often/not force up as many shots, he can be an effective pg.  he's got the tools.  in 2007 he averaged 6 assists...

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
this guy is pure drama!

In mo ways than one, yo.

Choz i respect your opinion to the HIGHEST degree... but if this kid wants to come here we HAVE take him. Plus, if any coach  can keep this kid under control it's Norm imo. He is a "city guy" from springfield gardens, his players respect him & he 'aint gonna take no sh*t... just ask Torres, Patterson & Wright. They didn't want to get with the program - study hard, play hard, be unselfish & wear the jersey with pride/respect - and he basically told them to hit the road... plus,  judging by some of Lances recent quotes it sounds like he's finally starting to "get it"... and hopefully he's starting to realize that with kids like Lawrence, Scott, Parrom, Burrell, Coker, Kennedy, Evans, T, Roberts, Wait, Boothe, etc... by his side we can take this city & the college b-ball world by STORM next year.. :o ;D .. and as a result he could be the "KING of NYC".. 8).. ala Mullin, Berry, Frazier, King, etc.... this city is STARVING for a good, hard-nosed, in your face, winning basketball team... we're talking girls, commercials, billboards, magazine spreads, ESPN/SNY/YES/CBS/ABC segements on the re-birth of SJU hoops & celebs sitting courtside at MSG for us NOT the knicks... IMHO, this kid has the oppurtunity of a lifetime staring him right in the face & i for one hope he makes up his OWN mind and goes for the "gold" baby!!.. ;) .. If not. I wish him nothin' the best.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:15:08 PM by oldred10 »