Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »
Two things about the subject.

One, maybe McKillop actually made an impression on the kid.  Stranger things have happened.

Two, what say ye to those who claim he has no chance to qualify.  He's not going prep, he'll follow Brandon Jennings to Europe no doubt. Or enlist . . .

Randomhero423

« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
if he doesn't qualify he will defintely go to europe imo.  i do think he will qualify.  just a feeling.

« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Two things about the subject.

One, maybe McKillop actually made an impression on the kid.  Stranger things have happened.

Two, what say ye to those who claim he has no chance to qualify.  He's not going prep, he'll follow Brandon Jennings to Europe no doubt. Or enlist . . .
Laura Bush will join Mensa before Lance enlists in the Army.

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2008, 08:31:10 PM »
this guy is pure drama!
In mo ways than one, yo.
It's probably why almost all of the big schools, even the ones that usually target the lowest common denominator kids, are staying far away from a top 5/10 talent, but it's also a unique opportunity for Norm to use the rep that he earned at Kansas and swoop in to get the player.

« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »
http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=841298

The co-MVP game title would go to Cheek of New Jersey and John Wall while Philadelphia's Maalik Wayns and Brooklyn, NY's Lance Stephenson were co-MVP for the Goat team. Stephenson, who said he wanted to break Brandon Jennings 23 assists record, was the games high scorer with 29 points, four rebounds, but only three assists.

So Lance the PG hmmm?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/boost-mobile-elite-24-player-evals-notes/#more-2484

Lance Stephenson (The Goat)
Lance started early with a pull up three-pointer. The King of New York then began shaking defenders with his array of dribbling moves. No one could contain him as he got to the rim with ease all game long. Lance’s length makes him near impossible to stop around the rim, especially in a contest like this where defense tends to be lacking. He loves using a crossover, but is also very effective with spin move. On one play, Lance even threw a no look pass over the shoulder right in the middle of one of those spin moves. He had several fine passes to his teammates too. Lance was clearly determined to hold his own in his home town. If he played with this much passion and energy every time out, he might find himself atop all of the national rankings. It’s certainly to ignore his talent and Lance is a joy to watch when he really brings it. He finished the night with 29 points.

Poison

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

The co-MVP game title would go to Cheek of New Jersey and John Wall while Philadelphia's Maalik Wayns and Brooklyn, NY's Lance Stephenson were co-MVP for the Goat team. Stephenson, who said he wanted to break Brandon Jennings 23 assists record, was the games high scorer with 29 points, four rebounds, but only three assists.

So Lance the PG hmmm?

If he comes here, his position is whatever he wants it to be.

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »
SJU is an ideal situation for Lance.  He would create tremendous excitement for the program and he would get incredible media attention.  We would win more games and can afford to sacrifice team chemistry for one year.  In return, future recruiting would take off.   His family could attend every game of his brief college career.  Win-win for everyone involved.

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2008, 01:42:06 AM »

So Lance the PG hmmm?

So I just watched the replay and to Lance's defense he made some nice passes and his teammates missed a lot of open shots. I counted either 6-7 shots that guys could have made. 3-4 of them were layups too...

What I liked from Lance was that he could get to the basket at will. Also he had a great natural sense of being around the basket, he picks up a lot of garbage points.

What I didn't get a feel from Lance was that he has a great basketball IQ. I think physically he is wow but I think he would be so much of a better player if he went to say St. Anthony's as opposed to Lincoln. It looks like Lance was always worried about public perception rather than the game at hand. Take what I say with a grain of salt.... I was watching an allstar game so my opinion is subject to change.

I'd take him here in a heartbeat though other than John Wall I thought he was the best player out there.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
From "Hoops" Weiss :

August 25, 2008

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/08/nova-lands-coveted-recruit.html

Speaking of recruiting, the buzz at Rucker is that St. John’s is closer than a lot of people think in the Lance Stephenson sweepstakes. We’re probably prejudiced, but we think the 6-6 Stephenson, who already has led Lincoln to three PSAL titles, has as many skills as any prospect in the country.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »
From "Hoops" Weiss :

August 25, 2008

Speaking of recruiting, the buzz at Rucker is that St. John’s is closer than a lot of people think in the Lance Stephenson sweepstakes. We’re probably prejudiced, but we think the 6-6 Stephenson, who already has led Lincoln to three PSAL titles, has as many skills as any prospect in the country.

im startin' to believe fellas.......

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »
From "Hoops" Weiss :

August 25, 2008

im startin' to believe fellas.......

i'm not sure WHAT to believe at this point NYC.. ??? .. like i said, if he wants to come here we HAVE to take him. The question is can we really wait for him if either Parrom or Williams wants to commit tomorrow... We could wait IF we had another 'ship but i really don't see where that's coming from at this point... plus, are his academics a concern as some suggest.... IMHO, norm has to call each of these three kids tomorrow & tell them FIRST come first serve... and let the "rest" work itself out. No way u can wait for Lance & risk losing BOTH parrom & williams... NO f'n way imo.... Can't wait to see how this all goes down.... should be VERY interesting..  ;) .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:11:45 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I expect to see Stephenson waiting til spring...so take whoever commits first...hopefully Parrom...and then most likely something will open up in the Spring. 

Lance would be phenomenal...it would definitely create a buzz we haven't had since Felipe.  One and done would open up a ship for the 2010 class as well. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?columnist=lawlor_christopher&id=3552714

Lance Stephenson, who was playing in his second Elite 24 event for The Goat, was questionable before the game with a strained muscle near his hip but dispelled any doubts in the opening minute when he drained a long 3-pointer, pleasing the hometown crowd. Later in the first half, he took a rebound coast-to-coast for a one-handed dunk for a 40-38 lead.

A crowd favorite, Stephenson of Lincoln (Brooklyn, N.Y.) -- the No. 7-rated player in the ESPN 100 -- did not disappoint as he scored 29 points, dished out three assists and was named his team's co-MVP along with Maalik Wayns.

"I like keeping order," said Stephenson, who looked comfortable distributing in his third Boost Mobile game. "I like being in control with the ball in my hands."

Stephenson alternately directed The Goats from the point and unleashed his retooled, NBA-range 3-point jumper. Stephenson, undecided about college, is considering Memphis, Kansas, Texas, St. John's and Southern California.

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »
No disrpct to Lance, but y'all cant take nuthin away from the Rucker. My grams could drop 30 in that game.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »
No disrpct to Lance, but y'all cant take nuthin away from the Rucker. My grams could drop 30 in that game.

Totally agree...    game is bit of a joke...   

It is nice for all of the young kids to get up to Rucker and play where many legends have tested themeselves though..

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2008, 09:39:43 AM »
But if your grams doesn't dribble the ball, she won't see the rock long enough to hit 30.  

I turned off the Rucker game early.  But I like what I saw from Durand Scott in his limited time.  Looked smooth.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Stephenson spends summer getting bigger and better

By Christopher Lawlor, ESPN.com

August 20, 2008

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=lawlor_christopher&id=3544469

NEW YORK -- Dawn along Coney Island Beach is when Lance Stephenson Jr. enjoys the remnants of solitude. His days are long. His time is in demand.

While slogging through the sand on Brooklyn's southernmost tip, Stephenson is alone in thought. He's focused on each step, on pushing closer to greatness. The morning run is when he envisions unleashing a killer crossover dribble, ponders where he might attend college next fall, or contemplates school assignments he needs to complete.

Chasing greatness begins at 5:30 a.m. on streets named Surf, Mermaid and Atlantic. After an intense hour workout, which includes pull-ups and dips on a jungle gym in a nearby playground, Stephenson heads down Ocean Parkway to school.

For the faint at heart, the rigorous daily regimen is just that; reflecting the work ethic needed to rise above the competition and atop the analyst's charts in the high school basketball Class of 2009.

The 6-foot-6-inch guard no longer needs introductions. In the grassroots basketball universe, Stephenson is sun, the moon and the star.

The sun: players revolve around him, feeding off his energy. He's the center of the prep hoop universe.

The moon: a cold, desolate place, but one that breeds the cool mannerisms and individual drive to conquer greatness.

The star: his is shining brighter than ever.

Stargazing is the norm when Stephenson takes the court; he is the fan favorite. He regularly drains Sharpies signing autographs, but it's his signature moves and cocksure attitude that attract basketball aficionados.

Stephenson, like neighborhood legends Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, was earmarked for greatness at an early age. Stephenson, dubbed "Sir Lancelot" or "Born Ready," has grasped the Brooklyn torch with flair.

On Friday, Stephenson and 23 of the nation's elite boys' high school basketball players will compete in the Boost Mobile Elite 24 (ESPNU, 8 p.m. ET), a unique, summer-ending all-star game at the famed outdoor court at Rucker Park in Harlem.

The event's third incarnation is a celebration of the outdoor game, popularized by urban street legends. Thirteen of the 24 chosen players are rising seniors, including Stephenson.

Stephenson is no stranger to the event, having played in last year's game.

"Crowds can be tough [at Rucker] but I'm used to it," Stephenson said. "Outdoor games are about up and down court and showmanship. People want you to show them what you have. It's pretty much the same at the Gardens in Coney Island."

That's where Stephenson, the latest Brooklyn prodigy to lace them up for Lincoln High, toils and resides. He's a few blocks from the amusement park, home of the renowned Cyclone Roller Coaster, Nathan's Hot Dog stand and the New York Aquarium.

Killer workout

The mist usually lifts from the shores of the Atlantic shortly after sunrise. By that time Stephenson and his father Lance Sr. or "Stretch" (a name derived from a six-inch summertime growth spurt as a teen) have completed the "killer" workout.

Running, pushups, pull-ups, proper stretching and jump shots comprise the daily routine. (Stephenson and his father complete it in an hour, allowing both to be on time for school and work.)

The workout is patterned after the one created for Telfair by his half-brother, Jamel Thomas. Stephenson began running the beach with Telfair when he was 12.

"At first, Sebastian just sprinted in the sand leaving me way behind," Stephenson said. "But to be the best that's what I needed to do."

Running in the sand gives athletes a tough workout in a short distance; in Stephenson's case the route lasts 22 blocks (approximately two miles) on the sand, followed by a return trip on the boardwalk.

The back and shoulders benefit greatly from running on sand, because balance is stressed. Quadriceps (four muscles in the front thigh) bulge. Fast and slow twitch fibers generate short bursts of speed and strength, giving the legs their spring. Training in the sand cushions the knees, saving on wear and tear of the joint and surrounding soft tissue.

"After running on sand when I run the boardwalk it's like running on air," Stephenson said, grinning.

After that it's off to the Surfside Houses, a 15-story housing project, where Stephenson runs five sets of stairs. Translation: He sprints 15 flights of stairs to the roof and back, equaling a set.

As if that wasn't enough, Stephenson interweaves 500 push-ups between runs.

No wonder Stephenson has packed on nearly 20 pounds since the end of the high school season in March. He now carries 225 pounds on his sleek frame.

His defined body would send Praxiteles, an ancient Greek sculptor, scurrying for a chisel and hammer.

Stretch Stephenson says the blue print for "the perfect basketball body" took form when he saw LeBron James at the ABCD Camp in 2001.

"That's the body type you need to absorb the punishment," Stretch said.

Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, Lincoln's coach said: "I've seen [Stephenson] play around the neighborhood this summer and he's bigger; more [muscle] definition. He's nearly unstoppable down low and his outside shot is going down; that's against experienced players. Imagine when he's back at Lincoln."

Summertime blues

Stephenson and his father remained tight this summer. Stretch coached Raising Champions, a club team featuring Lance and several New York prospects.

Lance toyed with the nation's top-rated point guards at the Nike Steve Nash Skills Academy in June in New Jersey, then he attended the LeBron James Skills Academy, where 80 of the country's top prep players congregated in Akron, Ohio.

Last weekend, he played in outdoor tournaments at Orchard Beach (City Island in the Bronx) and the famed West Fourth Street Court in Greenwich Village. Tuesday he competed in a Marbury-Telfair sponsored event at the Gardens, just five blocks from home.

Stephenson ended the summer as the No. 7 prospect in the ESPN 100 player rankings. The knock on Stephenson was not necessarily his shooting ability, it was when and where he takes his shots. So instead of shooting racks of balls, Stephenson needed to understand why his shot was off target.

Enter Jerry Powell of Basketball Results, who has trained Stephenson weekly for the past three years. Powell reprogrammed Stephenson, drilling him in ballhandling skills, shooting and flexibility.

When Stephenson began, Powell noted he was "too stiff."

"Lance, like many athletes, did not know how to properly warm up or stretch," Powell said. "If your muscles aren't warmed up properly, you'll lose range of motion. Stretching properly before and after a workout helps prevent injuries."

It also helped Stephenson to become in tune with his body.

"Lance knows if he misses a jumper what we needs to do next time," said Powell, who currently trains NBA players Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jermaine O'Neal, Mike James, Rajon Rondo, Marko Jaric and Dahntay Jones.

"The key is to make the adjustment immediately."

Stephenson has worked tirelessly on his long-range jumper -- he knows pundits question his shot's consistency. Powell continuously articulates why the drills will work.

"There is no offseason; Lance can't take anything for granted," Powell said.

Stephenson hasn't, and neither have the Lincoln Railsplitters. Last season, Lincoln (29-4), No. 11 in the ESPN HIGH Elite 25 final rankings, captured a sixth New York PSAL AA city championship in seven years (and third straight) and a second consecutive New York State Federation title.

Before he closes out his illustrious prep career, Stephenson will choose a college. He won't tip his hand but hinted programs such as Memphis, Kansas, Texas, St. John's and Southern California are in the mix.

Two decades ago, St. John's might have been a no-brainer for a Brooklyn kid (see Chris Mullin or Mark Jackson). Despite the Red Storm's recent struggles, Stephenson is intrigued.

"I'm looking at them hard," Stephenson said. "It would be great to bring back New York and rebuild one of the great programs. It's close to home; my family could see me play, but I'm interested also in seeing new places and going away."

College will likely last only one year before Stephenson declares for the NBA draft in 2010.

Stephenson, though, won't fast-forward his upcoming senior season. Lincoln will make three appearances on ESPN as part of a tortuous national schedule with stops in Oklahoma, New Jersey and Florida.

"You put together a schedule like this to test your players," Morton said. "The nation will see what we see every day."

That's Stephenson at his best.

« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2008, 03:01:18 AM »
A 4 page write up on Lance talking about his development as player and person. Some interesting quotes I partticularly liked to hear Kenny Anderson's thoughts. However the Daily News prints some seriously bad quotes. Remember the anynomous quote from the Big East Ast about Norm. Well in this article they quote b&g assistant coach Elmer Anderson for saying Lance tells opponents that their girl friend is in his room. Now I know his point was that he will play head games with the opponents much like Lebron whispered in Arenas' ear on the free throw line but what a terrible quote for a man who is employed by a high school. Also why would the writer print this? He didn't have to quote him he could have said that he whispers in his opponents ear talking trash. IDK just my two cents on things. Overall its an enjoyable read.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2008/08/30/2008-08-30_time_for_lincoln_phenom_lance_stephenson.html