the nucleus

• 21 replies
the nucleus
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
its obvious to me that the nucleus of this team is hardy dj mase and burrell. these four guys need 30 mins a game if not for foul trouble. all of them can play d and hit shots as well as play several positions.

that leaves 10-20 minutes a piece for:
boothe
horne
brownlee
coker
evans
stith/omari/rob
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: the nucleus
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
Hilton is part of the nucleus.  Held Hansbro to 1 2nd half pt.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:01 PM »
Perimeter defense is so important.  One more 3 and ND would have beaten us.  Guys just want a player to score but don't look at what he does against the other team's shooters on defense.  I love Hardy and I think Norm should ride him when he is hot but when his shot is off, we need Paris to play solid D.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:21:34 AM »
Problem is Norman Roberts doesnt see any of this....therefore it is a lost cause....

Burrell has played great the last 5 games...but who starts?  And when does Burrell get in............Hardy is 4-5 from 3 in the first half, but he doesnt get in til 13:30 in the seconed half.  Yup Norman Roberts doing what Norman does...Be mehanical....

Props to Norm for the first time this season, not starting the second half with the exact same lineup as started in the first half....At least he started Justin....Hardy still cant get a break.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:21 AM »
Example: Boothe plays a great game against Louisville.  Next game gets 31 Minutes.

Justin Burrell has played great for a 5th straight game and gets 20 min. 

BTW Hardy goes nuts in the first half and doesnt see the court til 13:30.  What does Horne have on Norm?

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:44:59 AM »
BTW.......I know he stuck it up on the defensive end...but he is back on the offensive end!!!  When you avg 60 it's needed
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:45:54 AM by B-Squared »

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
I would really like to see

Boothe, Hardy, Mason, Burrell and Coker play togather more.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »

I d like to see dele get more pt in general. he isnt just a fouler anymore. he s a defensive presence ancan bring a little O now. hes been great w/ that little jumper lately.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »

I d like to see dele get more pt in general. he isnt just a fouler anymore. he s a defensive presence ancan bring a little O now. hes been great w/ that little jumper lately.
I had been thinking Dele deserves more mins too, but looking at stats:

Dele has 9 rebounds 13 fouls in 71 conference minutes.
Thats 4.3 fouls and only 3 rebounds in an average 24 min game.
Not strong, but I agree, I'd like to see him get 10-15 min/g
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:05:55 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
Norm ruined Coker. He's a physical specimin who no idea how or when to get in position for a rebound. He never posts anyone up. Even if it's a player half his size. That jumper was a small glimpse of progress. It was nice that it fell, but would it fall again?

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »
Norm ruined Coker. He's a physical specimin who no idea how or when to get in position for a rebound. He never posts anyone up. Even if it's a player half his size. That jumper was a small glimpse of progress. It was nice that it fell, but would it fall again?

I can't say I agree with any of this. His offensive rebounding rate is very very effective. The fact that he doesn't post up is more of an indication of our offense not on Dele.

He knocks down that jumper all the time. I've been saying it over and over again. Jeez! He's converted on 70% of his shot attempts this season.

Duke, UConn, and last night he knocked down that same baseline jumper and every time the announcers acted surprised. I know Dele can do it!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
If you're the biggest guy on the court, and you're not getting any rebounds, you're clueless.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
He had 2 rebounds in 6 minutes yesterday. That averages out to be 13 rebounds per 40 minutes which would have led the team.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
Yea, yesterday. One game.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »
Sorry I don't see it any game. His rebounding has been fine on both ends in my opinion.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »
If you're the biggest guy on the court, and you're not getting any rebounds, you're clueless.
Or you're not getting any time and your small sample size means you haven't gotten a rebound in your 4 minutes in the game.  Look at Dele's rebound rates over the past 3 years; they indicate that a good rebounder could be in there.  But you don't know if he doesn't get minutes.  He had decent games against Duke, Georgia and, ah, Bryant.  The first two aren't small teams. 

Poison

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »
After Jeff Foote embarrassed Coker, Norm stopped playing him. Frankly, I don't blame for sitting Coker after such a clueless effort. He's improved tiny, tiny bits, but after being given a fair shot to play, he showed that he wasn't ready.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
I just disagree with you Poison. Even last night Coker didn't register a block but he definitely altered a shot when he was in (also he did have one block but they called it a foul...questionable). He's a game changer defensively and he is definitely a much better weak side help defender than a post but he's stronger and bigger than anyone we have and I would stick him in for post situations.

I also think he has a sweet stroke with a quick release and we rarely utilize it. I'd play Coker over Evans and Brownlee. Then again they also have their place too but Coker is a traditional center and they are rare. UConn and Cuse might be the only teams within the conference to have a legit center.

I love Evans he is a hustle player all the way and he offers a lot but he's also deficient in too many areas to warrant starting or extended minutes. His range is limited, his defensive awareness is inconsistent, can't make FT, and his decision making has been very poor. He needs to go in for a few minutes and bust his ass when he is in there like there is no tomorrow to warrant and earn more playing time. I think Sean would respond well to a benching too as he's not a sensitive kid and would bounce back.

If Evans is a curveball than Brownlee is the slider. They are very similar in a lot of ways but Brownlee has a little bit more range and is a better shot blocker. Like Evans he is inconsistent on the defensive end. I'd also use him as an energy guy. Tell him to rebound and run until he can't no more.

Rob Thomas has been used so well lately. Finally Norm realizes that Thomas might be our best post scorer around the rim. If Rob Thomas catches the ball in the paint chances are he is scoring. Dude uses his body so well to create space and his touch is great. Using him when Burrell fouled out in case we needed an offensive board or got it to him in the post I felt very comfortable with him out there. Then he got taken out when DJ went to the line in place of Coker for defense which was also great.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:51 PM »
coker's shooting 66%. not sure how many are actual jump shots and i realize he has limited touches, but may be they can use him at the top of the key to free the driving lanes? if the opponents collapse on our guards driving, kick out to coker for a 12 footer. its a least worth a try. his shot wont be blocked, he appears to have a sweet stroke.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:44:05 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43:42 AM »
coker's shooting 66%. not sure how many are actual jump shots and i realize he has limited touches, but may be they can use him at the top of the key to free the driving lanes? if the opponents collapse on our guards driving, kick out to coker for a 12 footer. its a least worth a try. his shot wont be blocked, he appears to have a sweet stroke.

Coker is actually shooting 69%