Boothe pays toll for St. John's [NY Post]

• 11 replies
Boothe pays toll for St. John's [NY Post]
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
There were times this season when it was flat-out painful watching Malik Boothe of St. John's play point guard.

He had five turnovers and no assists in a loss to Villanova. He played nine minutes against West Virginia, missing his lone shot and committing three fouls and two turnovers.

Never once did Boothe offer up an excuse, though he had a legitimate one: He was playing with a severe groin pull suffered on Dec. 31.

"Malik has a very high pain threshold," St. John's coach Norm Roberts said. "There are some guys who would not have fought through it the way he has."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/boothe_pays_toll_for_st_john_PF0YlF97DonMk2jHMhL0PK#ixzz0gkBEXUNq
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

Re: Boothe pays toll for St. John's [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:08:50 AM »
He has certainly played better as of late.
I suppose it's fair to say that the message boards don't always have their facts straight.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
I do think some people have commented on how Boothe's not playing badly.  When people on the boards were on Boothe, he was putting up games with no shot attempts, 3 assists, 2 turnovers.  That's pretty bad performance. But I don't hear complaints about him these days - he's made himself a small factor on offense.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »
though he had a legitimate one: He was playing with a severe groin pull suffered on Dec. 31.

Goes back farther than that.  He hurt it in Philly.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
malik had a reputation in high school of being injury prone.  why would anyone be surprised if he played hurt?

the big surprise is norm didn't take it into account when he was on the recruiting trail.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 04:07:24 PM »
I'm just surprised it took Norm this long to send his lap dog Lenny out with the excuse.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Maybe his terrible play over that stretch was due to an injury.  But if it was why the hell was Norm playing him?  He has played better as of late but that stretch of games the article talked about he was terrible.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Maybe his terrible play over that stretch was due to an injury.  But if it was why the hell was Norm playing him?  He has played better as of late but that stretch of games the article talked about he was terrible.

Thank you, KJD.  Exactly what I was thinking!!!

This is so ridiculous.  So he was stinking AND he was hurt, and yet Norm was still playing him the majority of the minutes??? 

Why doesn't Lenn Robbins address that?!  Embarrassing.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
right...thats why?...doesnt have anything to do with the fact hes the most inept offensive player in the conference? or that he makes extremely poor decisions?  occasionally there's athread about so and so not being a big east caliber player, whenever someone is pissed at one of our guys, but i think at this point, in year 3, everyone has to agree boothe has no business in this conference

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:18 AM »
Kill the coach. Not the kid.
That's my only point. Boothe is okay now on the court.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
Poison, fair point.

Norm shouldn't have played him knowing he was hurt & he was playing like $hit.  Period.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Kill the coach. Not the kid.
That's my only point. Boothe is okay now on the court.

Yea, and "ok" players should go to any one of the fine 1 bid conferences to play their college ball