Norm is coming back..

• 66 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Norm is coming back..
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »
OK personally I don't think Calhoun necessarily has ulterior motives when he compliments Norm....but I also don't necessarily think he believes it either.

This is a coaching "fraternity."  They NEVER like fellow coaches getting fired, regardless of performance and record, unless the guy is a real jackass, and even then they won't publicly say it. They have each other's backs.  Calhoun recognizes Norm is on his way out, so he threw him a bone.  Same thing Pitino did.  THey'd want the same done for them, or one of their assistants, etc.  I don't think anyone should reall put much credence into it.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 11:51:20 AM »
Baldi likes to get under y'all skin.  LOL  There is always a chance Norm could come back, but I'm leaning towards him not being retained than being retained.

I like your sig pic of Billy "The Kid." 

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Guys if he comes back next year we may have him for a while. What if he makes the tourney he not only comes back he gets an extention. 

Poison

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
Guys if he comes back next year we may have him for a while. What if he makes the tourney he not only comes back he gets an extention.

The players won't improve one bit under Roberts.
He has done all he's capable of doing.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
i think baldi is just stating that unless the universiry announces norms departure, there is still a possibility he stays. i agree. the possibility exists. 3 wins in the NIT, we are at a 20 win season. not likely, but possible.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
i think baldi is just stating that unless the universiry announces norms departure, there is still a possibility he stays. i agree. the possibility exists. 3 wins in the NIT, we are at a 20 win season. not likely, but possible.

I see us losing to Iona in the first round of the CBI.

sjd8886

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
Give it up Baldi.  Norm is a loser and wouldn't even finish in the top 10 of the Big East next year.  He flat out can't coach.  What has he shown you that would lead you to believe that he could make the NCAA tournament next season?  The guys on the team want him back that is great, I'm glad they are supporting their coach.  Fact is they will be much happier next year with a coach that knows basketball and runs a different offense against man to man and zone.

OK, but who is coming? Ive seen alot of names mentioned and probably 3/4 arent in the tournament either, in weaker conferences. So how are they going to come to the Big East and win?

Yea I'm not a huge fan of the names on the list either, but I'm realistic I know Pitino and Bob Knight aren't coming to coach here.  I would rather have a new guy come in and try to fix this problem then watch norm continue to destroy this program.  Like I have said numerous times Norm is a loser and he will never win here so we need to move on and try something new.  Maybe it won't work but hell it is still a step forward because Norm was just going in reverse.

A Hall of Fame coach recently said this will be a top 5 Big East team next season and a former PG whose banner is hanging at CA has endorsed Norm. They just might know something that us has beens or never was's do posting on message boards? Maybe,maybe not

how many games has mark watched this year i wonder, and second, who actually trusts his opinion if he has watched every game...and why would a guy whos team just got schooled by the 13th place team in the league say they'd be good next year? hmmmm

sjd8886

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
recruiting at st johns will never be recruiting at unc or duke...we all accept that...but if we get a smart guy in here, even if he is a no name, and he can take our bunch of no names to the ncaa, maybe upset some people in the process, then recruits will come...you reproduce that winning every year, not necessarily to that degree, but at least to some degree, and recruits come...as long as willard or someone similar can win next year, we are fine

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »
recruiting at st johns will never be recruiting at unc or duke...we all accept that...but if we get a smart guy in here, even if he is a no name, and he can take our bunch of no names to the ncaa, maybe upset some people in the process, then recruits will come...you reproduce that winning every year, not necessarily to that degree, but at least to some degree, and recruits come...as long as willard or someone similar can win next year, we are fine

That's true, if we don't make the NCAA's next season this program is F-ed for a long long time.

kob24

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »
baldi u ever seen ron play?

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »

Negative, Im going on what some well informed guys are saying who have seen him.

Have you seen him lace it up kob?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:16:21 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 02:53:53 AM »
 told you all week...easy on the Norm Roberts is a goner bit...NIT. Win a few, he's staying...trust me

BT twitter

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:13 AM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100314&content_id=8792954&oid=2&vkey=21

"Last year we were in the CBI and we learned from that. This year we're in the NIT and hopefully we're going to learn from this. And then next year as seniors we can go farther and go to the NCAA tournament," he said.

Roberts is 81-100 in six years at the Queens school and has never finished above 11th in the Big East.

Still, he remains the head coach at St. John's and is worried about Memphis, led by first-year head coach Josh Pastner. Roberts said he has three Memphis games on the computer through Synergy Sports Technology, including the Houston and Tulsa games.

Roberts also said he would reach out to Kansas coach Bill Self, his friend and former boss, to learn about the Tigers.

"I'm not worried about that [reports about his situation]," he said. "I'm concentrating on our team, our team being as good as they can be. It's a great opportunity, not only for our staff but also for our team and that these kids have a chance to keep playing and it also shows that we had a pretty good year.

"We showed people in America that we're one of the top 100 or so teams in the country and now we have a chance to keep playing."

And Roberts has a chance to keep coaching.

per zags.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:50:17 AM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:58 AM »
"We showed people in America that we're one of the top 100 or so teams in the country and now we have a chance to keep playing."

lol

why talk to bill self? its a different memphis team....geezzzz
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:52:07 AM by buckeyestorm »

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »

I have, multiple times. He is best player Norm has landed. Watch the teams that are going to line up to go after this kid if Norm is let go and he re-opens his recruitment (which he will do)

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »

I have, multiple times. He is best player Norm has landed. Watch the teams that are going to line up to go after this kid if Norm is let go and he re-opens his recruitment (which he will do)

Thanks PMG, I did not want to speak for you. Who would you compare Roberts to?

boo3

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »
told you all week...easy on the Norm Roberts is a goner bit...NIT. Win a few, he's staying...trust me

BT twitter

Is this Brandon Tierney?  I don't understand his love affair w/ Roberts.  He seems pretty knowledgeable for the most part. Does he actually think Norm staying is a good thing?  Does anyone who knows anything about basketball think this?

kob24

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
yeah we smacked him around. he is athletic. but he isnt by far norms best recruit. if people are saying that they are bugging. dele would have dogged him if they was both in the same class

kob24

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »
pmg justin in high school wouldnt have killed ron?

boo3

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
"dele would have dogged him if they was both in the same class "

Wow!