Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY - VILLANOVA

• 284 replies

pmg911

Re: Jayvaughn Pinkston - PF - Bishop Loughlin - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
very interested in seeing him next year.  now with lamb, johnson and phillip gone he's going to have a much bigger role.

Great point..   he will have a potentially huge role this year..   he is going to have to carry a big scoring load for Loughlin... 

Shame to see more kids leaving the CHSAA...    if the all the kids had stayed Xaverian & Loughlin would both be nationally ranked this year...

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
very interested in seeing him next year.  now with lamb, johnson and phillip gone he's going to have a much bigger role.

Great point..   he will have a potentially huge role this year..   he is going to have to carry a big scoring load for Loughlin... 

Shame to see more kids leaving the CHSAA...    if the all the kids had stayed Xaverian & Loughlin would both be nationally ranked this year...

pmg - Why do u think players continue to leave the CHSAA in droves?... is it academics?.. coaching?.. ??? ... It really is a shame that some potentially "power-house" nationally ranked teams are being dismantled... thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:49:20 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
There is no better coaching in the country, top to bottom, in any league...

I think the AAU coahces, mostly, are the problem..    some of, not all, of these guys get in kids ears and get them to believe they are much much better then they actually are...   and some of the public school coaches know they will not get punished for blatantly recruiting kids out of the CHSAA...  not all of the PSAL coaches are doing it but Tiny & Naclerio certainly. . Tiny is doing it much more then RN...

The situation with Lincoln and Xaverian last year was a disgrace and the CHSAA coaches stood by and let it happen...  and the PSAL , for all of the chatter, loves seeing Lincoln withe best team in the city, catholic or public...

It will be very interesting to see how many of the kids that left Xaverian for Lincoln actually get eligible for Freshman participation in college...

The kid's going to St. Anthony this year is a rare situation although I have never understood why more city kids never give St. Anthony a better look...  the school is much much closer then people realize and Hurley is the best high school basketball coach in America... 

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »
September 8, 2008

Pinkston shines at Five-Star camp

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/09/pinkston-shines-at-fivestar-ca.html

We’ve lost a lot of interest in the Five-Star camp over the last few years, but their final camp at Stroudsburg in the dead period just before Labor Day showed they will can still attract their share of great New York City prospects.

We’ve been pushing 6-6 junior Jayvaughn Pinkston of Loughlin for the McDonald’s game, ever since we saw him play for New Heights as a rising 10th grader and he didn’t disappoint, winning the camp’s Outstanding Player and Best Prospect awards. He has to be one of the Top 25 players in his class, a Gene Banks clone for those of you who remember the West Philadelphia High phenom of the ’70s, who went to Duke. St. John’s is said to have the inside track.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

kjd01067

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
It really sounds like Norm is doing a great job recruiting the 2010 class BUT where are the scholarships going to come from???  2010 might be a sad year for STJ when a bunch of studs want to join the team but no scholarships are available...

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
It really sounds like Norm is doing a great job recruiting the 2010 class BUT where are the scholarships going to come from???  2010 might be a sad year for STJ when a bunch of studs want to join the team but no scholarships are available...

The staff is learning from their mistakes. When we had 1 scholarship available and we put all our eggs into Sylven Landesberg's basket. Then Calhoun transferred and Sylven jumped ship and we were left with our pants down. Now we're all over kids in case something like this does happen. Instead of having a plan A and plan B we have Plan A,B,C,D,E,F,G....

Also I know this sounds a bit of a reach but if these kids didn't initially sign with us and whereever they go they have problems. They will remember all the time and interest of St. John's when they are considering schools to transfer to. I'm not saying this is a primary reason to stay on kids but its a possibility.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »

The staff is learning from their mistakes. When we had 1 scholarship available and we put all our eggs into Sylven Landesberg's basket. Then Calhoun transferred and Sylven jumped ship and we were left with our pants down. Now we're all over kids in case something like this does happen. Instead of having a plan A and plan B we have Plan A,B,C,D,E,F,G....

Also I know this sounds a bit of a reach but if these kids didn't initially sign with us and whereever they go they have problems. They will remember all the time and interest of St. John's when they are considering schools to transfer to. I'm not saying this is a primary reason to stay on kids but its a possibility.

i COMPLETELY agree in that the staff is doing a really great job making sure theyre recruiting deep into each class. it seems like there is a light at the end of the tunnel...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
(this is a damn long tunnel.  is that France on the other side?)  Completely agreed, the player market has been volatile with transfers, and if some guys want to come back home, or go somewhere where they're going to get playing time as Cavataio did, the staff has to be ready.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 12:59:11 AM »
WOW Khalid Green that is huge I guess he got sick of getting burn by these kids & their parents

Plus this is a way the Nets are paying off the Brooklyn Community members

Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Randomhero423

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
I saw him play versus Thomas Edison on Saturday. (www.nyhoops.com for game write up.)

He is very strong,and if he was 6'10" like the scouting services anticipated, he would be a 5 star recruit. But, like his coach said, he is going through a transition of becoming a 3. His ball handling is not bad, and I do think he's a good passer. But he can play and act out of control. He had (in my estimate) around 5-7 turnovers, and this is versus a disinterested Thomas Edison squad...

Pinkston can also be a hot head and immature. He's very similar to Lance in that aspect. At the same time, he was directing people on both offense and defense, so I think he's trying to step up as a leader. His defense wasn't consistently there, but when it was, it was OK (nothing to ride home about).

Honestly I don't think he's the best junior on the team. Brandon Frazier, SG, looked GREAT. His HC expects him to be the guy people talk about in 2010 as well, which is strong words. He reminded me a lot of Omari just with a better 3pt (i'm not saying he's better than Omari, just game styles).

Overall I'm not a big fan of Pinkston and if he didn't come to STJ I wouldn't be disappointed. But then again this was his 3 or 4th game playing the 3. I will be seeing him this weekend and will post what I think.

By the end of he season, it will be fair to really anaylze him since he this is his first year in all of basketball playing the 3.

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
why don't you post a link to your article?

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 10:58:03 AM »
The reason he WAS a top 25 recruit in the country in 8th grade is because he was around 6'5" then and everyone thought he was going to grow to around 6'10" or so.  That's the problem with ranking kids that early.  There is certainly some substance to the rankings but there are so many variables in each kid's equation at that point...
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
The reason he WAS a top 25 recruit in the country in 8th grade is because he was around 6'5" then and everyone thought he was going to grow to around 6'10" or so.  That's the problem with ranking kids that early.  There is certainly some substance to the rankings but there are so many variables in each kid's equation at that point...

and they were right though.  if he was 6'10" he would be a beast.

i'll post the article later.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/12/30/pinkston-drops-30-rutgers-virginia-coaches-look-on/#more-9679

King said numerous schools are recruiting Pinkston, including St. John’s, Tennessee, Virginia, USC and Memphis.

“I know St. John’s is the frontrunner,” King said.

Pinkston’s former AAU coach, Kimani Young, is now on the staff at St. John’s and enjoys a close relationship with Pinkston.

RECRUITING NOTES: Rutgers had virtually its entire staff on hand, with head coach Fred Hill and assistants Jimmy Carr, Dennis Gregory and Danny Nee watching Epps, Johnson and Pinkston…Virginia assistant Steve Seymour was there to watch Pinkston. The Cavs have four ships for the Class of 2010 and are involved with Pinkston, St. Anthony big men Derrick Williams and Devon Collier and St. Patrick point guard Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
I am going to be doing an interview with Jayvaughn for JohnnyJungle, which should be up within the next few days. 

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
I am going to be doing an interview with Jayvaughn for JohnnyJungle, which should be up within the next few days.

Breaking News: Theo Rabinowitz picked up off waivers by JohnnyJungle.com. Great free agent pickup!

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »

Breaking News: Theo Rabinowitz picked up off waivers by JohnnyJungle.com. Great free agent pickup!

Grat job Dave picking up Rabinowitz. By far the best at NY Hoops

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
Still waiting on a call back from Jayvaughn.  Hope to speak to him sometime this weekend and have the interview up by early next week or so.

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 12:47:54 AM »
Don't let him get off the phone until he commits to St. John's
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!