Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

PIB

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1400 on: August 23, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
This "go-to guy" label is being over analyzed.   I think we can all agree the team needs players other than D'angelo to step up if we're going to realize our potential.   

By the way, following up on the report from someone here on the board recently that Jakarr looks like a work in progress,  Rothstein just wrote an article saying he might be one of the best freshmen in the country....  who to believe?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/rothstein-files-this-and-that-around-college-basketball-12/

Really do take exception to the "St. John’s is going to be incredibly young and inexperienced at the beginning of the season" comment.    Just from a "truth in advertising" perspective.   Young, yes, but not really incredibly so.  Inexperienced?  We return 5 players who averaged 27 or more minutes a game last season.   Our returness played 4,665 of the 6,425 minutes that were played last year. I guarantee you there's a truckload of teams with nowhere CLOSE to that.    We've got  a Senior, a Junior, 6 sophmores and 4 freshmen.   We return 70% of our scoring (okay, 68.9%), 58% of our Rebounding, 72% of our assists, 62% of our blocks, 72% of our steals. while adding 7 new scholarship contributors....72% of our assists, and we're ADDING Jamal Branch?   62% of our blocks, and we're ADDING Chris Obekpa and Sanchez?   58% of our rebounding, and we're adding Samson/Obekpa/Sanchez/Jones?  70% of our scoring, and adding....well, everyone?  And hey, the 5 returnees all figure to be a year BETTER.

:up: :up:

« Reply #1401 on: September 18, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Phil Greene's Response to Nate's question:

Nathan Blue @Nateblueis4real
1h
Who is the sleeper Freshman that'll surprise college basketball this year? #NCAA

Phil Greene @philgreene31
52m
@Nateblueis4real JaKarr Sampson

« Reply #1402 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
his jumper doesn't look that great.  only seems make-able close to the basket. anything beyond the foul line looks like trouble.  but i do like his soft touch down low.  will be tough in the BE playing against bigger, stronger guy.

i'm still excited to seem him.  could be our most exciting player since Showtime Hill.

He won't have trouble playing against bigger stronger guys.  D1 ball isn't made up of a bunch of Charles Oakleys.  Maurice Harkless at the same height had no trouble taking on bigger guys.  We're also a bit bigger overall this season than last season.  Jakarr is quicker and more athletic than most PF's.  Harkless did most of s damage down low and while he is certainly a better outside shooter than Jakarr, I can hardly see Jakarr's 3-pt shooting average be a heck of a lot worse.  Jakarr will work his stuff down low, mid range and open court.

I think Jakarr will follow his shots better than most and make a lot of opportunities for himself.  He's not shy and he'll outjump a lot of BE bigs around the rim.  The guy will be a big matchup problem for our opponents.

paultzman

« Reply #1403 on: September 18, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »
his jumper doesn't look that great.  only seems make-able close to the basket. anything beyond the foul line looks like trouble.  but i do like his soft touch down low.  will be tough in the BE playing against bigger, stronger guy.

i'm still excited to seem him.  could be our most exciting player since Showtime Hill.

He won't have trouble playing against bigger stronger guys.  D1 ball isn't made up of a bunch of Charles Oakleys.  Maurice Harkless at the same height had no trouble taking on bigger guys.  We're also a bit bigger overall this season than last season.  Jakarr is quicker and more athletic than most PF's.  Harkless did most of s damage down low and while he is certainly a better outside shooter than Jakarr, I can hardly see Jakarr's 3-pt shooting average be a heck of a lot worse.  Jakarr will work his stuff down low, mid range and open court.

I think Jakarr will follow his shots better than most and make a lot of opportunities for himself.  He's not shy and he'll outjump a lot of BE bigs around the rim.  The guy will be a big matchup problem for our opponents.

Defensive rebounding is an area I hope he can be proficient at.

paultzman

« Reply #1404 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
#5 fwiw

“@friarblog: Sigh RT @PSBasketball: Our series of Big East Top 5 lists continues with the top 5 candidates for Rookie of the Year. http://t.co/lWv5WHN3””

« Reply #1405 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
I dont know the G-town guy, but long term i'm taking Sampson over Adams, Coleman and Calhoun

Poison

« Reply #1406 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
I dont know the G-town guy, but long term i'm taking Sampson over Adams, Coleman and Calhoun

Why do you say that? I'm just asking.

Moose

« Reply #1407 on: September 20, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

I am not high on Calhoun.  Not sold on Coleman but Jimmy is the guy to whip him into shape and motivate him.

DSR on gtown will be good.  Adams I think will be a beast.

4 of the 5 deserve to be on that list.  Interchangeable in order I think.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1408 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »

I am not high on Calhoun.  Not sold on Coleman but Jimmy is the guy to whip him into shape and motivate him.

DSR on gtown will be good.  Adams I think will be a beast.

4 of the 5 deserve to be on that list.  Interchangeable in order I think.

I wasn't that impressed with Adams the one time I saw him. He was playing against inferior competition and never took advantage of it. Looked very soft.

« Reply #1409 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »
two years ago when jakar played with mo harkless at brewster jakar was first team in the league and maurice was 2nd team.  this year he was player of the year over mcgary and nerls nolan.  maybe one and done but enjoy the ride while he is at sju

« Reply #1410 on: September 27, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
two years ago when jakar played with mo harkless at brewster jakar was first team in the league and maurice was 2nd team.  this year he was player of the year over mcgary and nerls nolan.  maybe one and done but enjoy the ride while he is at sju

He sure looks good in Red and White even more so then Black and White at Providence, no?

« Reply #1411 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

Moe never played at brewster
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #1412 on: September 27, 2012, 11:14:23 AM »

Moe never played at brewster

I think he meant played in the Nepsac together...

« Reply #1413 on: September 27, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
true, sorry for the mistake

« Reply #1414 on: September 27, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
true, sorry for the mistake
Why let the facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

paultzman

« Reply #1415 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
“@KarrSampson14: S/O to homie @obekpa12 go follow him.. me and my man gonna do some big thing this year #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #1416 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
“@JournalisTim: JaKarr Sampson's finally at St. John's, & reflects on his path. #STJbb #BigEastMBB http://t.co/JsS12dDt

paultzman

« Reply #1417 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
Great piece!

“@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's recruit Sampson has been tutored by LeBron - http://t.co/CqYJncKR http://t.co/t09RnQGk via @newyorkpost #stjbb”

DFF6

« Reply #1418 on: November 01, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
Great piece!

“@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's recruit Sampson has been tutored by LeBron - http://t.co/CqYJncKR http://t.co/t09RnQGk via @newyorkpost #stjbb”

Let's hope the tutoring started last year, and not before, otherwise Sampson will disappear at the end of our tighter games.   ;)

Marillac

« Reply #1419 on: November 01, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »

Merlens Noel was player ofte year for his division.