Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S

• 207 replies

redslope

Re: Dom Pointer -SF- Quality Education Academy - Detroit, MI - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »
It was interesting that article insinuated that the split with Dwight might have been about academics as he was apparently moving between schools while Sir has been at Quality for 2 years

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
He scratched the surface with this article. If he kept digging he could have named a dozen schools which are similar if not worse.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of these academic institutions are filled with misfits who are looking to go to college. At the end of the day they are getting the opportunity to continue their education and play college basketball. I could think of a lot of worse outcomes.
You're assuming that Kevin, who just won the USBWA award for best article last year, is going to stop with this one.
QEA and Pitts are a joke.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:53:46 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2011, 12:35:11 AM »
Bingo. Half the prep schools in New England including ND and Brewster are basically basketball factories.

And Michigan and SJU thoroughly checked him out and see no issue with him.
Respectfully, I find that to be a gross exaggeration. ND Prep is one thing, but the vast majority of these NE prep schools are legitimate academic institutions.

These are some of the ones I've been to: Hotchkiss, Northfield-Mount Hermon, St. Mark's, Choate, Exeter, Andover, St. Thomas More, Salisbury, Deerfield, Kent, Tilton, Groton, Lawrence, Milton, Lee, St. George's, Worcester, Winchendon, Wilbraham & Monson, Cushing, Tabor, Taft, New Hampton, Brewster, St. Paul's, Middlesex, MCI, Avon Old Farms, Cheshire, Canterbury, Loomis Chaffee, South Kent, Pomfret, Suffield, Portsmouth Abbey, Putney, Concord, Holderness, St. Andrew's (DE & RI), Millbrook, McCallie, Trinity-Pawling, Proctor, and, in NJ, Lawrenceville & Blair

« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
There are some great prep schools and then there are academic institutions for 5 yr students. I'm going to leave it at that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2011, 04:19:09 AM »
Most of those prep schools mentioned are certainly great schools for the average kid who is the son of a diplomat paying 50grand per year to attend these schools.   For the droves of ball players heading to these prep schools to get their grades in order and play ball let's not pretend that they're all that much better with respect to earning legitimate grades.  They aren't sitting at the Harkness table discussing Chaucer.  They're ballin for B's...  Just because those ball factories like QEA don't pretend quite as hard doesn't make them much worse in that respect IMO. 

Moose

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/04/23/2011-04-23_growing_hoops_program_in_north_carolina_raising_ncaa_eyebrows_over_schools_quali.html

On Quality Education as a basketball factory. The NCAA is looking into QEA's academics:

Time spent at Quality, however, will not necessarily ensure clearance to play at a Division I program. Even as college coaches parade across campus to procure talent, the NCAA is scrutinizing Quality's academics in light of red flags being raised about course work and an atypical student body. At stake is the eligibility of players who have committed to Arizona, Wake Forest, DePaul and Wyoming as well as a clarification of a glaring question: Is the school a legitimate educational institution or a basketball factory posing as a safe house.

"We're working with Quality Education Academy on their list of NCAA-approved core courses," NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne told the Daily News in an email. "In the interim, prospective student-athletes from the school will have their academic records looked at on a case-by-case basis when it comes to initial eligibility."

Pointer has seen a leap in grades, according to the article... FYI. Any thoughts, folks? NTSG?

Anyone notice this quote from the article-

"I've got a really good guard from New York who I can't tell you about yet coming next year," he says. "We had to turn some down."

With Jevon and his academic issues, am I the only one to think that he might be the one?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/04/23/2011-04-23_growing_hoops_program_in_north_carolina_raising_ncaa_eyebrows_over_schools_quali.html

On Quality Education as a basketball factory. The NCAA is looking into QEA's academics:

Time spent at Quality, however, will not necessarily ensure clearance to play at a Division I program. Even as college coaches parade across campus to procure talent, the NCAA is scrutinizing Quality's academics in light of red flags being raised about course work and an atypical student body. At stake is the eligibility of players who have committed to Arizona, Wake Forest, DePaul and Wyoming as well as a clarification of a glaring question: Is the school a legitimate educational institution or a basketball factory posing as a safe house.

"We're working with Quality Education Academy on their list of NCAA-approved core courses," NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne told the Daily News in an email. "In the interim, prospective student-athletes from the school will have their academic records looked at on a case-by-case basis when it comes to initial eligibility."

Pointer has seen a leap in grades, according to the article... FYI. Any thoughts, folks? NTSG?

"I've got a really good guard from New York who I can't tell you about yet coming next year," he says. "We had to turn some down."

With Jevon and his academic issues, am I the only one to think that he might be the one?

Mike Taylor?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »

Mike Taylor?

But didn't they say he was going to ND Prep.  Not that it matters of course because they flip flop like they flip flop AAU teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:20 AM »
Jevon should just head to Brewster.  They seem to have no problem getting their players qualified as well as ready to play.  Any kid that preps should really consider the NEPASC.  Very strong league and the kids qualify.

« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
Bingo. Half the prep schools in New England including ND and Brewster are basically basketball factories.

Respectfully, I find that to be a gross exaggeration. ND Prep is one thing, but the vast majority of these NE prep schools are legitimate academic institutions.

These are some of the ones I've been to: Hotchkiss, Northfield-Mount Hermon, St. Mark's, Choate, Exeter, Andover, St. Thomas More, Salisbury, Deerfield, Kent, Tilton, Groton, Lawrence, Milton, Lee, St. George's, Worcester, Winchendon, Wilbraham & Monson, Cushing, Tabor, Taft, New Hampton, Brewster, St. Paul's, Middlesex, MCI, Avon Old Farms, Cheshire, Canterbury, Loomis Chaffee, South Kent, Pomfret, Suffield, Portsmouth Abbey, Putney, Concord, Holderness, St. Andrew's (DE & RI), Millbrook, McCallie, Trinity-Pawling, Proctor, and, in NJ, Lawrenceville & Blair

I will defer to you but what I meant and what I heard was that these schools are basically feeder schools for athletics.

Marillac

« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »

Couldn't have said it any better.

crgreen

« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2011, 04:22:30 AM »
Lets hope the NCAA doesnt screw us when they review his grades

The article also notes that the Clearing house HAS accepted athletes from the school over the past 3 seasons into Division 1 programs.  What, are they now going to rule that the classes that were acceptable for THOSE students aren't acceptaable for the current class?

As for Meikle and his academics - hasn't he already been accepted to Hampton?  Both he and teammate Keron Brown?  Sounds more like he's concerned about level of competition, rather than grades.  If it was just grades, why sign with Hampton?  If they're willing to accept him and his grades, there are certainly MUCH higher profile (and higher level of competition) schools  that would as well....Hampton may not be Yale or Harvard, or even St. Johns, but US News and World Report did rank them as the #4 Historically Black University in America (Behind Spelman, Howard & Morehouse; ahead of Tuskeege, Xavier and Fisk).  Heck, maybe he knows he wasn't likely to be the next Walter Berry, but maybe has a shot at being the next Tarvis Williams (Google him, if you dont remember!)...

MCNPA

« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
I'll say it again, watching the NBA playoffs.  Sir'Dom Pointer is a virtual clone of former Pitt player Sam Young.  Both the same size, build, aggressiveness, athleticism and game.  The even both run the court on their tippy toes the same style.  It's uncanny the similarities.  Needless to say, SJU fans should be very happy with a Sam Young clone.

« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I'll say it again, watching the NBA playoffs.  Sir'Dom Pointer is a virtual clone of former Pitt player Sam Young.  Both the same size, build, aggressiveness, athleticism and game.  The even both run the court on their tippy toes the same style.  It's uncanny the similarities.  Needless to say, SJU fans should be very happy with a Sam Young clone.

I would love to have a sam young on our team. He was so effecient in college. I hope pointer can someday shoot like him
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

I would love to have a sam young on our team. He was so effecient in college. I hope pointer can someday shoot like him

Sam young wasn't a real gunner either entering college.  In fact he was a "bad" outside shooter by the numbers his first 2 years.  Pointer's shooting ability is actually quite solid.  He can become better for sure, but he's far from a bad shooter.  Like I said, there games are almost identical, even wrt their shooting.  Sam young shot 27% from 3 in his first 2 seasons at Pitt and made only 17 threes total.  His percentage jumped into the 40's his junior year and he never looked back.

« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
School rebuts criticisms
Newspaper questions program at Quality Education Academy

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/apr/28/school-rebuts-criticisms-ar-985877/

In the Daily News story, Pitts is quoted as acknowledging that some people look at QEA and think “basketball factory.”

Johnson defended the charter school, saying the staff is focused on teaching students. As proof, he pointed to students’ achievements.

The school has a 100 percent graduation rate, he said. It was also named an Honor School of Excellence by the state for the 2009-2010 school year, according to the Department of Public Instruction.

Schools in that category made adequate yearly progress for the year and had 90 percent or more of their students perform at or above grade level.

Johnson said the school, which is predominantly black, has also closed the achievement gap, which means its students perform as well as or better than white students in the same grade.

“That’s really what this is all about,” Johnson said.In the Daily News story, Pitts is quoted as acknowledging that some people look at QEA and think “basketball factory.”

Johnson defended the charter school, saying the staff is focused on teaching students. As proof, he pointed to students’ achievements.

The school has a 100 percent graduation rate, he said. It was also named an Honor School of Excellence by the state for the 2009-2010 school year, according to the Department of Public Instruction.

Schools in that category made adequate yearly progress for the year and had 90 percent or more of their students perform at or above grade level.

Johnson said the school, which is predominantly black, has also closed the achievement gap, which means its students perform as well as or better than white students in the same grade.

“That’s really what this is all about,” Johnson said.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
Sir Dom had 22 points in their is8 game last saturday

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217391

Moose

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
A compilation video of Pointer.  Some clips we have seen before but pretty comprehensive.

http://www.ballislife.com/video/video/show?id=2030901%3AVideo%3A204561

Marillac

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Sir Dom had 22 points in their is8 game last saturday

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217391

Dom had 22 in one and 11 in the other.  Khem Birth had 10 and 11, respectively for the same team.  This kid has played on some exceptionally talented squads and always does well.

MCNPA

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
IS8 mix for Dom.  Enjoy...

2011 Sir Dominic Pointer Youtube Mix