Top 10: New York City's Greatest Point Guards

• 58 replies

Poison

Re: Top 10: New York City's Greatest Point Guards
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »
Telfair. I see his name ranked second. As a New Yorkers, I find that pretty embarrassing.

How would NY compete with other cities in this category?
Feels like it's been a really long time since we've had a mega point guard,
or really anyone produce a complete career.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »

That all being said..  one HUGE glaring omission has been Khalid Reeves. He was as ghood as just about any player mentioned and doesn't get credit as a point guard because he played with Derrik Phelps.

Aint no omission cause Khalid was never a PG. He was a 2G at CTK to PG Derrick Phelps, a 2G at Zona to PG Damon Stoudamire and he couldn't last in the NBA cause he was a 6'1" 2G who couldn't transition to the point.

Great playa. One of the smoothest brothers ever. But no PG.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
Stephon Marbury is the best high school basketball player that I have seen in NYC that I can fully appreciate how good he was.

So many people will say Kenny Anderson is the best ever but its hard to judge a kid you played against your entire life. Being that we are the same age its hard for me to appreciate how good he was when he was in high school.

That all being said..  one HUGE glaring omission has been Khalid Reeves. He was as ghood as just about any player mentioned and doesn't get credit as a point guard because he played with Derrik Phelps.

Also, if you talk to a lot of older guys who really know NYC hoops, they will tell you that Brian Winters & Kevin Joyce were among the best ever to play in NYC.

I agree with you on Reeves.. He was easily as good as Autry ..  Jamal Walker for Hayes was so nice to me.. but not in the top class.   Same for Terrence Rencher.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
Telfair. I see his name ranked second. As a New Yorkers, I find that pretty embarrassing.

How would NY compete with other cities in this category?
Feels like it's been a really long time since we've had a mega point guard,
or really anyone produce a complete career.

Because IMO too may of them forego any development in college like Cook, Telfair.  Well, Cook played for Jarvis so maybe it wasn't totally his fault, but the truth is that had a guy like Omar Cook stayed for 3-4 years, he at minimum, could have had a legacy of being a fantastic HS and College PG.  He skipped out after a year and is now labelled a journeyman bust.  He's making some money in Europe, but not the route he wanted I don't believe.  I agree that we haven't had a guy with an extensive overall body of work HS through pro since Marbury.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 09:22:38 AM »
Little David Edwards from Jackson was always fun to watch as well.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
So many of these kids thought they were Gods.
Marbury was the best, and that's really sad because was a disease in the league.

We need the next great NYC point guard to stay home,
and we need to actually be great.

Telfair is such a joke. What an embarrassment.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
So many of these kids thought they were Gods.
Marbury was the best, and that's really sad because was a disease in the league.

We need the next great NYC point guard to stay home,
and we need to actually be great.

Telfair is such a joke. What an embarrassment.

All true but again the list was based primarily on HS careers.  And those are careers that its tough to argue against.  Lot has happened since then yes for a variety of reasons.  Hype might come back to bite some of these kids down the road but in terms of HS their play was phenomenal.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Rafer Alston

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
This here talk is about what they do in high school.

So yeah Mark Jackson or Jamal Tinsely or Rafer is the better PG based on what they do for they entire careers.

But strictly in high school, they aint on the same level as Bassey or Omar or whateva.

Its like asking who's the better college baller, Christian Laettner or Scottie Pippen? Answer is easy if y'all remember the parameters.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
A high school career means so much less if the player cannot hack it at the next level.
I find it crazy that a name like Telfair is mentioned as anything other than what he is.

The biggest ever to have come out of NY.

Moose

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
A high school career means so much less if the player cannot hack it at the next level.
I find it crazy that a name like Telfair is mentioned as anything other than what he is.

The biggest ever to have come out of NY.

Whatever he is props to him and his people who have managed to make him at least $15M in his career.  Add in endorsements and hes done pretty darn good for himself.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »

Cant believe I left him off...

Poison

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
Rafer Alston played for which Queens high School and which Sacramento NBA big man played there as well?

Moose

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Rafer Alston played for which Queens high School and which Sacramento NBA big man played there as well?

Dozo

Causwell

derk

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

Cant believe I left him off...

Speaking of Jackson, can't forget Boo.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »
Dave Edwards led the city in scoring his senior year at Andrew Jackson and then went to Georgetown where he started as a freshman on a team with Alonzo Mourning. He transferred  to Texas A&M after his frehman year and led the nation in assists as a senior.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
Dave Edwards led the city in scoring his senior year at Andrew Jackson and then went to Georgetown where he started as a freshman on a team with Alonzo Mourning. He transferred  to Texas A&M after his frehman year and led the nation in assists as a senior.

Why did he leave Gtown?

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »

Why did he leave Gtown?

I believe he (or, his dad) didn't mesh with John Thompson.   

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
First time caller.  Long time listener.  I really enjoyed this thread and your comments so I thought that I would jump in:

I know it's hard to believe but NYC basketball did exist before 1980.  Any list of NYC point guards that doesn't have Dean “The Dream” Meminger on it, and probably in the top three, is fatally flawed in my opinion.  He didn’t do much with the Knicks but he was unstoppable in high school and college. Tiny had a great pro career but he wouldn’t be in the same conversation with Dean based on High School and College performance.

Although they were wonderful players, Kevin Joyce, Brian Winters, and John Roche were not point guards.

This probably belongs on the best teams thread but add Bobby Carver, Bryan Adrian, Jim Larranaga, Dick Zeitler, and Matt Lynett to Joyce and Winters as members of those mid 60’s Molloy teams. If they had a real center, they would have been in the discussion for best team.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 08:09:52 PM »
First time caller.  Long time listener.  I really enjoyed this thread and your comments so I thought that I would jump in:

I know it's hard to believe but NYC basketball did exist before 1980.  Any list of NYC point guards that doesn't have Dean “The Dream” Meminger on it, and probably in the top three, is fatally flawed in my opinion.  He didn’t do much with the Knicks but he was unstoppable in high school and college. Tiny had a great pro career but he wouldn’t be in the same conversation with Dean based on High School and College performance.

Although they were wonderful players, Kevin Joyce, Brian Winters, and John Roche were not point guards.

This probably belongs on the best teams thread but add Bobby Carver, Bryan Adrian, Jim Larranaga, Dick Zeitler, and Matt Lynett to Joyce and Winters as members of those mid 60’s Molloy teams. If they had a real center, they would have been in the discussion for best team.

Another vote for Meminger, along with jpm.
You're correct,  this is a very young board.
Fire Mullin.