So what is the latest status on the players?

• 67 replies

Poison

Re: So what is the latest status on the players?
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
“It’s too early to tell,” he said. “A lot of it will be on Norvel. I just know that our plan is in place to get him academically by, the sooner, the better, but it’s going to be on him.”

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:21:27 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
I think they don't want to set him up for failure, but he's currently getting the grades he needs to.  The re-affirmation of his commitment is also excellent.  Just a gut feeling, but I think we'll have them both here in December.  Would be more than fantastic.  We could actually compete with 2 more guys of their caliber this year.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
With them 18 wins. Without them, maybe 12.

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
Just a thought but one might think that these guys coaches would love to have them for the full season selfishly speaking. Hopefully they have the kids best interest at heart and if they want to go to college in Dec they will do all they can to help it become a reality.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
Just a thought but one might think that these guys coaches would love to have them for the full season selfishly speaking. Hopefully they have the kids best interest at heart and if they want to go to college in Dec they will do all they can to help it become a reality.

What do the high school coaches have to do at this point? Garrett and Pelle don't need more high school basketball practice. Two top 100 players have got that part down by their 5th year of high school. Hopefully, the idea of being stuck in high school longer than they should be is enough motivation to work hard in the classroom, and get out of there.

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:02 PM »

What do the high school coaches have to do at this point? Garrett and Pelle don't need more high school basketball practice. Two top 100 players have got that part down by their 5th year of high school. Hopefully, the idea of being stuck in high school longer than they should be is enough motivation to work hard in the classroom, and get out of there.
Talk their teachers into holding their grades down so they have to spend entire year at their school? :-\

Poison

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »
Celtics, that's one active imagination you've got there. It's prep school. The point is to prepare.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:01:26 AM by Poison »

LJSA

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 01:16:05 AM »
Talk their teachers into holding their grades down so they have to spend entire year at their school? :-\

I can see Tiny Morton doing that, but pretty much no one else.

pmg911

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 07:06:48 AM »
Celtics11 - while I have no clue about Brigton or Phelps, you are very close to hitting the nail on the head on how it works with some of theses prep schools. The Head Coach at these small school often holds a huge amout of sway and control at the school.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »
Sure would like to know who recommends how many (and which) courses to take and on what basis those recommendations are made. With the NCAA involved it's always a crap shoot but there must be some prep schools who have a better track record than others in getting their students qualified and people there who are astute at advising students to make the proper choices.

MCNPA

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Sure would like to know who recommends how many (and which) courses to take and on what basis those recommendations are made. With the NCAA involved it's always a crap shoot but there must be some prep schools who have a better track record than others in getting their students qualified and people there who are astute at advising students to make the proper choices.

Our staff is quite well versed at making recommendations for schools.  It was a bit of a flub with the Rise Academy stuff, but the staff had really no way of knowing.  I think it was a mistake that they will be sure not to repeat a second time.  Like I said before though, these kids are now at Phelps and Bridgton, two schools that have much more of a proven track record.   Burrell, Stith and Horne out of Bridgton so that is a good sign. If our players get their grades, I think it is likely we will see them in December.  If that is the case, then will will only have lost 1 recruit(Jakarr) out of 9 and two guys for a few games only.  It will have been only a small price to pay if we can have 8 of our 9 guys playing this season.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:49:48 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
This is from Eric Bossi over at Rivals:

Re: Norvel Pelle   Reply
It's a crazy situation. His phone # is changing regularly. Trying to now track down a third # for him.

From my understanding of the situation, qualifying for any school is going to be pretty tricky -- if not unlikely -- for him. Wouldn't be surprised if this story ultimately ends up in junior college.

Another poster indicated that while his handlers and parents want him at St. John's he'd prefer La Jolla Prep then SDSU. Not commenting on the quality of the other poster's opinion, but if true his parents definitely are pushing for the right thing, hopefully he listens to them.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »

Our staff is quite well versed at making recommendations for schools.  It was a bit of a flub with the Rise Academy stuff, but the staff had really no way of knowing.  I think it was a mistake that they will be sure not to repeat a second time.  Like I said before though, these kids are now at Phelps and Bridgton, two schools that have much more of a proven track record.   Burrell, Stith and Horne out of Bridgton so that is a good sign. If our players get their grades, I think it is likely we will see them in December.  If that is the case, then will will only have lost 1 recruit(Jakarr) out of 9 and two guys for a few games only.  It will have been only a small price to pay if we can have 8 of our 9 guys playing this season.

I don't how you can assume that our staff is well versed at making recommendations for schools.
We lost the season because 3 players that we were counting on to suit up, aren't.

Our staff is well versed at coaching.

crgreen

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »

I don't how you can assume that our staff is well versed at making recommendations for schools.
We lost the season because 3 players that we were counting on to suit up, aren't.

Saving this one as the precise moment Poison gave up on this year.  Just so that when he tries to jump back on the bandwagon when we have success everyone can be reminded that not just players quit on their teams.....

"Lost the season" before the first exhibition game is played.    Amazing.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
"Lost the season" might have been an exaggeration.   But it's hard to argue that the season doesn't take on an entirely different tone without those three.   If they were here, we're very much like a young Kentucky team from recent years (minus the AAs obviously) but still could expect to compete for a NCAA birth.   Now?   Idk.   Hard for any of use to expect a lot when we have such little presence in the paint and so thin on the bench. 

Obviously, hope for the best!    But I don't think it's giving up on the season to say things could be VERY different if the staff had chosen a different school for these kids this summer.   Maybe that wouldn't have made a difference; especially for Pelle   But maybe it would have for Garrett.   And a semester of practice would've been great experience for him.

jr49

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 07:29:35 PM »

Mr.Poison, while judgment being passed on staffs ability to get players suited up, can you please let me know if any of the 300 college coaches out there brought in more then 6 quality players? Thanks. 

Poison

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 07:48:38 PM »
I'm sorry that several of you didn't understand my post. I'm not the least bit surprised.

Let me be clear. Or clearer.

The staff is responsible for recruiting and coaching. Studying isn't their job.
Test taking isn't their job. The fact that we have one frontcourt player, is the fault of the 3 players
who dicked around all summer. I'm sick of reading about childish fans who blame the NCAA.

The rules are the same for every D1 kid. Ours are not something special.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
the rules aren't the same.  the ncaa plays favorites...there's no question about it.  the three players got straight A's at an ncaa sanctioned school.  i won't vouch for how they got it..but i bet they'd be playing for florida state today.

i doubt momo would have gotten his waiver had he transferred to st john's.