So what is the latest status on the players?

• 67 replies

Poison

Re: So what is the latest status on the players?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:09 PM »
Do you really believe that? The NCAA is out to get us?

desco80

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
the rules aren't the same.  the ncaa plays favorites...there's no question about it.  the three players got straight A's at an ncaa sanctioned school.  i won't vouch for how they got it..but i bet they'd be playing for florida state today.

i doubt momo would have gotten his waiver had he transferred to st john's.

I think you're right in your assessment that it's not the same for every school.  Now whether that's because the NCAA favors certain programs (which they may); or some coaching staffs/athletic depts play the game differently, ie have shortcuts to getting players passed the NCAA, i don't know the answer.   

But the Momo situation doesn't seem that different from Polee, who claimed he was going back to Cali because he had an illness in the family; yet one has to sit out and one is playing right away.    Go figure..

crgreen

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
the rules aren't the same.  the ncaa plays favorites...there's no question about it.  the three players got straight A's at an ncaa sanctioned school.  i won't vouch for how they got it..but i bet they'd be playing for florida state today.

I think you're right in your assessment that it's not the same for every school.  Now whether that's because the NCAA favors certain programs (which they may); or some coaching staffs/athletic depts play the game differently, ie have shortcuts to getting players passed the NCAA, i don't know the answer.   

But the Momo situation doesn't seem that different from Polee, who claimed he was going back to Cali because he had an illness in the family; yet one has to sit out and one is playing right away.    Go figure..

Anyone know the name Jenis Grindstaff?    A decade or so a go he was a terriffic frosh for Virginia Tech 10.5pts, 3.6assts, All-A10 freshman - he'd been North Carolina MrBasketball year before.  Then transferred to Tennessee, where he was forced by the NCAA to sit out the year - they turned down his hardship request.  Why request a hardship?  U of T has one of the best cancer centers in the country - and BOTH of Jenis's parents had been admitted there as patients.  After sitting out the year, that next september, BOTH of his parents passed away withing 10 days of each other.  COULD have seen there boy play ball for Tennessee that previous winter and spring while they still had a bit of strength, but the NCAA took that opportunity from them.   

What Happend to Jenis? - Opening game that season, a month after both folks passed - tore his ACL 14 minutes in - already had 3 assts and 3 steals.  Missed a 2nd year.   Never quite the same player....

Yeah - NCAA has different "interpretations" for favorites.

Moose

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »

Anyone know the name Jenis Grindstaff?    A decade or so a go he was a terriffic frosh for Virginia Tech 10.5pts, 3.6assts, All-A10 freshman - he'd been North Carolina MrBasketball year before.  Then transferred to Tennessee, where he was forced by the NCAA to sit out the year - they turned down his hardship request.  Why request a hardship?  U of T has one of the best cancer centers in the country - and BOTH of Jenis's parents had been admitted there as patients.  After sitting out the year, that next september, BOTH of his parents passed away withing 10 days of each other.  COULD have seen there boy play ball for Tennessee that previous winter and spring while they still had a bit of strength, but the NCAA took that opportunity from them.   

What Happend to Jenis? - Opening game that season, a month after both folks passed - tore his ACL 14 minutes in - already had 3 assts and 3 steals.  Missed a 2nd year.   Never quite the same player....

Sad story.
Ironically there was another issue with a Tenn player under Pearl.  I forget the name but it was within the past couple years.  The father passed away before he was able to play.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
not consciously...but i believe the midwest rubes are afraid of the city where point shaving was invented.  there's much more scrutiny.

as far as the u of tennessee story...coach pearl gets the tarkanian treatment for good reason.

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

Anyone know the name Jenis Grindstaff?    A decade or so a go he was a terriffic frosh for Virginia Tech 10.5pts, 3.6assts, Alla10 freshman - he'd been North Carolina Mr Basketball year before.  Then transferred to Tennessee, where he was forced by the NCAA to sit out the year - they turned down his hardship request.  Why request a hardship?  U of T has one of the best cancer centers in the country - and BOTH of Jenis's parents had been admitted there as patients.  After sitting out the year, that next September, BOTH of his parents passed away withing 10 days of each other.  COULD have seen there boy play ball for Tennessee that previous winter and spring while they still had a bit of strength, but the NCAA took that opportunity from them.   

What Happend to Jen is? - Opening game that season, a month after both folks passed - tore his ACL 14 minutes in - already had 3 ass ts and 3 steals.  Missed a 2ND year.   Never quite the same player....

Sad story.
Ironically there was another issue with a Tenn player under Pearl.  I forget the name but it was within the past couple years.  The father passed away before he was able to play.

I think its Tyler Smith your referring to
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2011, 01:36:51 PM »

Anyone know the name Jenis Grindstaff?    A decade or so a go he was a terriffic frosh for Virginia Tech 10.5pts, 3.6assts, Alla10 freshman - he'd been North Carolina Mr Basketball year before.  Then transferred to Tennessee, where he was forced by the NCAA to sit out the year - they turned down his hardship request.  Why request a hardship?  U of T has one of the best cancer centers in the country - and BOTH of Jenis's parents had been admitted there as patients.  After sitting out the year, that next September, BOTH of his parents passed away withing 10 days of each other.  COULD have seen there boy play ball for Tennessee that previous winter and spring while they still had a bit of strength, but the NCAA took that opportunity from them.   

What Happend to Jen is? - Opening game that season, a month after both folks passed - tore his ACL 14 minutes in - already had 3 ass ts and 3 steals.  Missed a 2ND year.   Never quite the same player....

Sad story.

I think its Tyler Smith your referring to

Yep.  Thanks!
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
not consciously...but i believe the midwest rubes are afraid of the city where point shaving was invented.  there's much more scrutiny.

as far as the u of tennessee story...coach pearl gets the tarkanian treatment for good reason.

Some of the scrutiny SJU has been under over the last 15 years, is self inflicted. Our head coach called them the "Gestapo". It not only showed how ignorant Jarvis was, but it didn't make any friends at the NCAA. How did SJU fans respond to the two game suspension that Erick Barkley received for accepting money to attend prep school? Like a bunch of children.

After the Keita incident, the NCAA, for the most part accepted the sanctions that SJU placed on themselves. That doesn't seem like an organization that was holding a grudge. They could have thrown the book at us, because this not the first time we were caught breaking rules.

Harrington handled the Keita/Ingram/Reynolds situation in more disgusting fashion than that of the guilty parties. The NCAA would never have known about the Keita payments had Harry been more mature in his handling of that situation. Funny thing is, at most BE schools, an incident like that is nothing more than your run of the mill recruiting visit.

Point being, the NCAA is not to blame for our problems. We are.