Which generation is smarter?

• 45 replies
Re: Which generation is smarter?
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »
Enough of this "back in my day we worked harder and were much smarter" BS. Look at the facts we are smarter.

Has intelligence changed at all in the era of the Internet?
Merzenich: Over the past 20 years or so, beginning before the Internet really took hold, the standard measure of "intelligence" (cognitive ability) has risen significantly (well more than 10 points). No one really knows what to pin this on, but it is a well-documented fact.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/the-world-is-getting-smarter

Ok, why dont you just ask any high school math teacher if the work was more rigorous in the past then it is now.  You are way off base here but I guess you think that if you keep saying the same uninformed garbage that someone may believe you.  Wake up little boy, and hear this..... the curriculum of yesteryear is far more difficult than that of today.....  I speak from fact and knowledge, unlike yourself.

In terms of graduating into a job,   where do you make a nice personic blanket statement like that?  The only thing the youth of today get higher marks in is Bullshitonomy. ;D

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
Enough of this "back in my day we worked harder and were much smarter" BS. Look at the facts we are smarter.

Merzenich: Over the past 20 years or so, beginning before the Internet really took hold, the standard measure of "intelligence" (cognitive ability) has risen significantly (well more than 10 points). No one really knows what to pin this on, but it is a well-documented fact.

Ok, why dont you just ask any high school math teacher if the work was more rigorous in the past then it is now.  You are way off base here but I guess you think that if you keep saying the same uninformed garbage that someone may believe you.  Wake up little boy, and hear this..... the curriculum of yesteryear is far more difficult than that of today.....  I speak from fact and knowledge, unlike yourself.

In terms of graduating into a job,   where do you make a nice personic blanket statement like that?  The only thing the youth of today get higher marks in is Bullshitonomy. ;D
I think it's harder for kids to get starting jobs out of college now but when it comes to how hard school is etc I'l going to have to ( gulp ) agree with Realfan because on this subject I'd think he knows better than anyone else because he is a math teacher

dR3w

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »

When I was in college, I have a prominent professor, who had published 7 or 8 engineering text books.  At the time he taught several engineering courses.  He stated quite often in his classes that he had to dumb down his text books about every ten years, and that the total content matter taught during a semester had to be reduced because the students would struggle more and more each year. 

I think that is a pretty good practical example of how things have changed.

pmg911

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
I have been reading this thread with a ton of interest....

There is so much to write from both points of view...

Johnnie11 - I will definitely agree that kids today have more demanded of them academically but by no means does it make them smarter and to say it does is incredibly naive. Students today, at all levels of the edcuation chain, have access to such a larger pool of information it is scary. When a lot of the older posters here were in school, there was no internet and no Google for us. We didn't have the ability to type a phrase into a search bar and then have thousands of pages of information at our finger tips. Seriously, have you ever used microfilm oir microfiche because we all did, it was the GOOGLE of our generation.

It doesn't make us smarter then you, it just made us have a different educational experience.

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
well put!!

boo3

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
 microfiche....lol.  Hated that.