All-Time Great Johnny First Names

• 46 replies
All-Time Great Johnny First Names
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
Here's mine.  Feel free to add your own.  I know you will:

1) Chris - A crappy first name; but goes on top of all SJU lists.
2) Walter - See #1
3) G*d's Gift Achiuwa
4) Carmine Calzonetti - Love that name.
5) Bootsy Thorton
6) Solly Walker
7) Hy Gotkin
8. Zendon Hamilton
9) Chudney Grey
10) Dutch Garfinkel
11) Anchise Cerillo
12) Shariff Fordham
13) Kevelin Winfree
14) Geovani Soto
15) Marco Baldi
16) Alpha Bangura
17) Hernel Robertson
18) Felipe Lopez
19) Shawnelle Scott
20) Chucky Sproiling - Good Halloween name
21) Roshown McLeod
22) Tristian Smith
23) Kareem Syed
24) Mohamed Diakite
25) Jeremiah Davidson
26) Omar Cook
27) Shelton Jones
28) Malik I, II and III
29) Emil Kohut
30) Cecil Bellford
31) Tomas Jasiulonis
32) Rowan Barrett
33) Tariq Turner
34) Lavor Postell
35) Milos Dumic
36) Trevor Jackson

** Special group category
37) Lamont Middleton; Grady Reynolds; Fred Lyson - Sanford and Sons
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:29:12 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

Re: All-Time Great Johnny First Names
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »
How can any name be better than God's?

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Mullin, but he is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen in any sport.
The University is milking his name like he's Abdul Jabbar. I wonder when the next HOF dinner is? Will there be one every month?

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:47 PM »
Btw, Bootsy's real name is Marvis Linwood "Bootsy" Thornton.  Funny story, but I was a student when we played Ohio state at the Garden against Schoonie Penn and Michael Redd.  I was a few rows off the court in the student section behind the basket.  We were down, and I remember reading that "Bootsy" didn't like his middle name and it got him riled up when people called him "Linwood".  One or two of us Kept calling him Linwood. I don't remember what he scored but he had a good game in the loss and was nodding during the chants and got the point.  Fun to reminisce about the few good years we had back then.  Hope for more ahead.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris Mullin, but he is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen in any sport.
The University is milking his name like he's Abdul Jabbar. I wonder when the next HOF dinner is? Will there be one every month?

Your hilarious
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

Your hilarious

I know

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:39:35 AM »
Cecil Bellford? That one must have "slipped through the cracks" (of my memory). ;D

boo3

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »

Come on Poison.  Mullin overrated as a player?   :idiot2:

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
As a Johnny, not at all. But this HOF garbage is overdone.
He was a good pro. Not a great a great pro.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »

Mullin averaged 20ppg as a pro as well as over 4 assists per game and some other great stats.  Larry bird averaged 24 per game.  Difference between good and legend is 4 ppg?   I don't think so.  I don't think mullin was as good as Bird, but to say he wants a great pro is kinda crazy if you look at his numbers.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »

This makes a bit more sense.  Mullin had those great years at Golden state but some of those numbers can be attributed to the style of offense they played.  I agree that the HOF , in most sports, has become watered down.  The fact that Mullin was on that first Dream Team is a big factor also, i'm sure.  Not sure why that should be a factor, but i bet it is..

Poison

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

This makes a bit more sense.  Mullin had those great years at Golden state but some of those numbers can be attributed to the style of offense they played.  I agree that the HOF , in most sports, has become watered down.  The fact that Mullin was on that first Dream Team is a big factor also, i'm sure.  Not sure why that should be a factor, but i bet it is..

He's a good man, and I've always liked him. What bothers me is the way University milks him and Lou for awards dinners so they can jack more money out of us. It's ridiculous. Basically, it's $300 a head to celebrate something that happened 26 years ago. There should be a reasonably priced Tip-off Dinner/Party for the fans who are here today. $300 is a f'n nerve. But that's one area where the University has remained consistent.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »
No love for Sir' Dominic? That's gotta be on there.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »

He's a good man, and I've always liked him. What bothers me is the way University milks him and Lou for awards dinners so they can jack more money out of us. It's ridiculous. Basically, it's $300 a head to celebrate something that happened 26 years ago. There should be a reasonably priced Tip-off Dinner/Party for the fans who are here today. $300 is a f'n nerve. But that's one area where the University has remained consistent.

Because these events cost no money to run, right?

redslope

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
someone has too much time on their hands or had a sugar rush on Haloween candy.

the best was your #37!!

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »

Mullin averaged 20ppg as a pro as well as over 4 assists per game and some other great stats.  Larry bird averaged 24 per game.  Difference between good and legend is 4 ppg?   I don't think so.  I don't think mullin was as good as Bird, but to say he wants a great pro is kinda crazy if you look at his numbers.

You are mistaken. Mullin didn't average 20 PPG as a pro. Maybe he did for 5/6 years, but that's it. Comparing Bird to Mullin in any way is insane. Bird is one of the best players ever, and many still believe he was the best ever.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »

What events? A bar room gathering in the back room or in the basement of Stout? Yea, forgive me, but I do not believe that a Big East school should find it a hardship to host a happy hour. And read a little more carefully, I never said it should be free. $25-$50 is appropriate. $300 is obnoxious and greedy.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »

What events? A bar room gathering in the back room or in the basement of Stout? Yea, forgive me, but I do not believe that a Big East school should find it a hardship to host a happy hour. And read a little more carefully, I never said it should be free. $25-$50 is appropriate. $300 is obnoxious and greedy.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you.  I don't b and moan about everything this program does like you do.  There are plenty of $50 dollar events.  They can have a $25 dollar event if you want.  But you can kiss open bar goodbye.  For $25 bucks you might get some appetizers.  Do you know what other 'big time' programs do in terms of fundraisers like that?  Make up your mind, do you want to be big time or not?

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »
Poison - The Basketball Hall of Fame is NOT the NBA Hall of Fame; they take into account your entire boody of work as a basketball player.

Chris Mullin was certainly worthy of induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame and it should have happened before this past summer. His body of work as a player at all levels is incredible....

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
Here's mine.  Feel free to add your own.  I know you will:

1) Chris - A crappy first name; but goes on top of all SJU lists.
2) Walter - See #1
3) G*d's Gift Achiuwa
4) Carmine Calzonetti - Love that name.
5) Bootsy Thorton
6) Solly Walker
7) Hy Gotkin
8. Zendon Hamilton
9) Chudney Grey
10) Dutch Garfinkel
11) Anchise Cerillo
12) Shariff Fordham
13) Kevelin Winfree
14) Geovani Soto
15) Marco Baldi
16) Alpha Bangura
17) Hernel Robertson
18) Felipe Lopez
19) Shawnelle Scott
20) Chucky Sproiling - Good Halloween name
21) Roshown McLeod
22) Tristian Smith
23) Kareem Syed
24) Mohamed Diakite
25) Jeremiah Davidson
26) Omar Cook
27) Shelton Jones
28) Malik I, II and III
29) Emil Kohut
30) Cecil Bellford
31) Tomas Jasiulonis
32) Rowan Barrett
33) Tariq Turner
34) Lavor Postell
35) Milos Dumic
36) Trevor Jackson

** Special group category
37) Lamont Middleton; Grady Reynolds; Fred Lyson - Sanford and Sons

As far as #28.........there's only one Malik.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
Poison - The Basketball Hall of Fame is NOT the NBA Hall of Fame; they take into account your entire boody of work as a basketball player.

Chris Mullin was certainly worthy of induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame and it should have happened before this past summer. His body of work as a player at all levels is incredible....

It's amazing how biased you can be. If it should have happened before, it would have. A great college career isn't a HOF career. He was not a great pro. He never once put his team on his back and took them anywhere.