NYC Marathon 2011

• 3 replies

DFF6

NYC Marathon 2011
« on: November 03, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
Good luck to all of you who will be running this year.  This is my first marathon.  Any pointers for the race are welcome. 

BTW, in homage to liny89, I am wearing a medium-sized running shirt, because I like my running shirts to fit tight.  ;)

derk

Re: NYC Marathon 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
Good luck to all of you who will be running this year.  This is my first marathon.  Any pointers for the race are welcome. 

BTW, in homage to liny89, I am wearing a medium-sized running shirt, because I like my running shirts to fit tight.  ;)

Enjoy the ride. The hard part was the training. Take in small amounts of liquid at every opportunity but don't over hydrate at any one point.  This is pure pleasure. I presume you're not an elite runner who has to worry about his time.Wear an SJU tee. This will be one of the greatest feelings you'll ever experience.

I've run 6 and the first was the best. I'm retired from marathons but I'll be a spectator in Brooklyn. Good luck. :)

DFF6

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »

Enjoy the ride. The hard part was the training. Take in small amounts of liquid at every opportunity but don't over hydrate at any one point.  This is pure pleasure. I presume you're not an elite runner who has to worry about his time.Wear an SJU tee. This will be one of the greatest feelings you'll ever experience.

I've run 6 and the first was the best. I'm retired from marathons but I'll be a spectator in Brooklyn. Good luck. :)

Thanks Derk!  I'm definitely not an elite runner.  If I can finish in the 4 hour range, that would be great.  If not, I'll still enjoy the ride.

derk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »

You will be swept up in the emotion of the event. You will finish. Don't worry about time. The first half will be very slow due to the number of people ahead of you. It's impossible to pass 20,000 or so people. You will have plemty of energy once the crowd thins out. Go get em.

Thanks Derk!  I'm definitely not an elite runner.  If I can finish in the 4 hour range, that would be great.  If not, I'll still enjoy the ride.