Getting Nuri back on track

• 84 replies
Re: Getting Nuri back on track
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
In response to Celtic's rolley eyes thing. The three biggest surprises for me as a fan of SJU
3. David Cain's senior year
2. Everything that happened to the program during Norm's tenure
1. Ced Jackson becoming a solid college basketball player and even making the pros. No one besides Marillac liked him on these boards, and he doesn't count becuase he also loved Geno, continually raves about Harrisons jumper and thinks Diana Taurausi is hotter than Meagan Fox. I used to feel bad for the backboard when Ced would LINE UP his jumper.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »
Nuri's jumper is right up there with Reggie Jesse, Avery Patterson, David Cain and Ced Jackson as one of the ugliest in program history.

darryl hill had the ugliest jumper

CC

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
Nuri's jumper is right up there with Reggie Jesse, Avery Patterson, David Cain and Ced Jackson as one of the ugliest in program history.

darryl hill had the ugliest jumper

Did you see Stith's last night?  Ugly and when he landed he twisted his ankle

Moose

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
Foad - great analysis but u f'd up at the end.  Ced jackson was one of marillac's favorite players, and turned out to be the most successful pplayer from that st johns team.  Marillac is gonna rant now about how phil greene WILL BE cedric jackson (and I hope he is).

Look, Nuri is in a funk.  He hasn't played this caliber of competition probably since the aau circuit his senior year of hs which wasn't that recent.  He certainly needs to snap out of it, but I have faith that the staff will help him come around.

Also marillac great pt about the shot doc.  Nuris shot is a work in progress.  Will come around eventually.  If not, he still can be a successful pg if he utilizes his other skills properly.

Didn't Nuri play in some prestigious LA and PHI summer league this year?

You can't count summer league which guys use to get their wind and put up shots

Yes I can.  Because its not Redlands CC and their opponents.  Its legit players he's running with.  Yes there is no defense being played but the level of competition is again legit.  My point is he didn't play the sisters of the poor then.  So I don't buy the layoff stuff really.  His confidence is just shot for some reason.  He knows officials are looking for his extra step.  They aren't calling fouls when he draws contact in the lane.  And frankly I think he's scared of the FT line.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:24:18 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
In response to Celtic's rolley eyes thing. The three biggest surprises for me as a fan of SJU
3. David Cain's senior year
2. Everything that happened to the program during Norm's tenure
1. Ced Jackson becoming a solid college basketball player and even making the pros. No one besides Marillac liked him on these boards, and he doesn't count becuase he also loved Geno, continually raves about Harrisons jumper and thinks Diana Taurausi is hotter than Meagan Fox. I used to feel bad for the backboard when Ced would LINE UP his jumper.
Just cause I wasn't posting here doesn't mean Marillac was only one who liked Ced. I agree he had ugly shot and some of them would not have even made it thru the goalposts on a football field but I could accept he was a poor offensive player (hard to believe he averaged 26 in HS) but always loved his hustle, intensity, and defense. There are 2 ends to a basketball court and if used properly Ced can be asset to a team. How he became pt g and shooter and scorer at Cleve St I did not foresee and found it quite a remarkable turnaround. But I am sure you and the other poster I was responding to can speak better for me than I can for myself. ::) ::) ::)

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
Nuri needs time to develop like any other player new to D1 ball.  He's a real good player, but not a complete player.  The nba stuff was hogwash at this point.  He needs to work on quite a few things and will be good for us over the next few.  IMO, he'll work his way into a lucrative career in Europe or elsewhere which is nothing to laugh at.

desco80

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
In response to Dave's initial question..

To get Nuri on track I think the staff needs to start calling some set Iso plays for him, when we're in the half-court.   

I'll be the first to admit I don't completely understand the type of offense we have installed; it seems to be a modified weave, that more often than not moves the bigs out from under the basket to open lanes for penetration.   That's all well and good, but right now, when we're not in transition - we look lost.

When we absolutely need a bucket, or we're coming out of a timeout or on an in-bounds, I'd like to see the staff call for more set plays that isolate Nuri and really spread the floor out.  Think back to what Hardy did last year in some of those same instances.  When we needed a bucket it was always isolate Hardy and bring Brownlee over for a pick and roll or a pick and pop.
We should be doing the same thing from time to time with Nuri and Moe.     

It won't work every possession, but specifically when we're coming out of a timeout, or our half court offense needs a jump start - we should be isolating Nuri and letting him take his man off the dribble. 

Anyone remember our last two possessions in the Georgetown win last year?  - I want to see that on occasion when we absolutely need a bucket.

boo3

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
 Funny thing is, Nuri looked great in the first few games this season.  He looked like he'd live up to some of the hype. Then he missed those 2 free throws against Texas Am.  He just needs to gets his confidence and swagger back.  I think the solution is between his ears.  At times last night they showed his face.  He looked defeated and , frankly, disinterested. 

Lavin has to have a serious conversation with Nuri and get his head right.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 11:52:45 AM »
Funny thing is, Nuri looked great in the first few games this season.  He looked like he'd live up to some of the hype. Then he missed those 2 free throws against Texas Am.  He just needs to gets his confidence and swagger back.  I think the solution is between his ears.  At times last night they showed his face.  He looked defeated and , frankly, disinterested. 

He looked great until coaches figured out that he can't shoot.

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:47 PM »

It's not even that though. There were two instances where he passed up opportunities to lay it up to give a bad pass to a teammate on the break.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
I am sure you and the other poster I was responding to can speak better for me than I can for myself. ::) ::) ::)

In my post I was referencing what people on this and the other boards had said in the past about Cedric. He was nearly universally reviled, because he was in the main awful. I have no way of knowing what people I don't know would be thinking about things I didn't know they were thinking about, so I wasn't referencing your prescient yet heretofore unexpressed admiration for Cedric Jackson's defensive prowess. Sorry for any confusion. Winky face. Eye Roll. Angry Guy.

boo3

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »

It's not even that though. There were two instances where he passed up opportunities to lay it up to give a bad pass to a teammate on the break.

Yup.  It seems to me he got a tongue lashing ( or read Baldi's posts about him) from the staff and they demanded he look to pass more.  Unfortunately he has taken it to the extreme and now his head is messed up. 

It happens.  I know its happened to me.  You over compensate.  Then you struggle even more and don't think you can anything right.  Then your confidence is shot. Dunlop isn't the guy to work with Nuri at this point.  It has to be Lavin.  Lavin has the ability to get this kid's confidence and swagger back. 

Foad

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
In response to Foad,

I agree Lindsey is far superior to the team than Phil Greene. He can be much more of an impact player than Greene. However I love Phil Greene and think he's a guy that can really play. Although his numbers are less than Lindsey he's done a lot without dominating the ball like Lindsey does. I think Phil is going to be more of an impact guy as the season unfolds.

I wasn't saying anything negative about Greene's game. I was saying something negative about this - "Phil contributes so much more to team's success in every other area besides running the show" - which I think is wishful thinking. I don't think the team's failings can all be aid at Lindsey's feet and doubt the team is Phil Greene away from being success.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
'Nuri's jumper is right up there with Avery Patterson as one of the ugliest in program history.' 

And speaking Patterson, why do we keep recruiting jump shooters who shoot push shots?

Quit trying to bait me into joining the fray.  If you miss me (who doesn't?) and want my attention, just ask and I promise to post more often in your general direction.  8)

tnice

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »

Yup.  It seems to me he got a tongue lashing ( or read Baldi's posts about him) from the staff and they demanded he look to pass more.  Unfortunately he has taken it to the extreme and now his head is messed up. 

It happens.  I know its happened to me.  You over compensate.  Then you struggle even more and don't think you can anything right.  Then your confidence is shot. Dunlop isn't the guy to work with Nuri at this point.  It has to be Lavin.  Lavin has the ability to get this kid's confidence and swagger back.

Ding, ding, ding...get that man a cee-gar. 100% on the money. Hardest thing for guys like Lindsey to learn...when to push and when to pull up. The encouraging thing is that while he is definitely overcompensating, that means he's listening to the coaches and actually trying too hard to be a team player. He'll find the balance...but at times it will be painful to watch until he does.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
In response to Foad,

I agree Lindsey is far superior to the team than Phil Greene. He can be much more of an impact player than Greene. However I love Phil Greene and think he's a guy that can really play. Although his numbers are less than Lindsey he's done a lot without dominating the ball like Lindsey does. I think Phil is going to be more of an impact guy as the season unfolds.

I wasn't saying anything negative about Greene's game. I was saying something negative about this - "Phil contributes so much more to team's success in every other area besides running the show" - which I think is wishful thinking. I don't think the team's failings can all be aid at Lindsey's feet and doubt the team is Phil Greene away from being success.

I can agree with that. The thing is I think the offense flows better with Greene than anyone else. Nuri dominates the ball too much and when he's scoring it works but when he's cold or shut down the team sinks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Moose, in summer league where D's are lax and charges are either not taken or not called, it allows someone like NURI to dominate.  Very different.  Can't count summer league.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
Moose, in summer league where D's are lax and charges are either not taken or not called, it allows someone like NURI to dominate.  Very different.  Can't count summer league.

Should toughen him up to take the contact and make the basket.
Remember who broke the Slice news

uwsfan

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
Nuri has no court vision and never will at this age. And his jusmp shot will never be consistent or dependable.
I think Greene is a better PG prospect than Nuri and has the court vision and outside shot.

Nuri is simply not the NBA caliber player we all knew he needed to be in order for the team to win this year.

If only we had landed Naadir Tharpe, this would be a very different team  >:(

ras

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Nuri also turns the ball over to much for a PG.