Progression Tracker: Amir Garret

• 64 replies
Re: Progression Tracker: Amir Garret
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/57021/amir-garrett

Above is his game log. He's still raw but he's cracking the rotation more and more. What do you like that he brings to the table? What does he need to work on? Who does he remind you of?

Highest basketball IQ on the team...sees the floor, understands spacing and how to find the holes in the opposing defense. Aggressive, with a borderline mean streak on the floor. Long, athletic, and all the other obvious stuff people have pointed out. Absolutely love this kid...he has winner written all over him. Does all the little things, has no ego on the floor. Very definition of a "glue guy".

The downside: absolutely no right hand, a worse J than Nurideen Lindsey, and apprently doenst know that he has a worse J than Nuri because he insists on shooting threes when he has literally no chance of making them. It has nothing to do with him being rusty...saw him a bunch on TV last year and he was a bricklayer then too. Needs to stick to slashing to the hole and shooting the ball within 5 feet of the basket.

Don't know if his jumper is worse than Nuri.  I actually saw Amir hit jumpers last year at a good clip.  I saw Nuri hit 2 in 9 games ha.

Worse than Nuri might have been harsh...maybe "as bad as.." I watched a bunch of Findlay games last year and it was the same thing as this year...not just misses, but total bricks. Wherever you think he stands on the Nuri scale, one thing is for sure...he needs a lot more work before he shoots from outside of five feet on a regular basis. Just keep doing all the (many) other things you're good at Amir...I'd rather see you hit a backdoor cutter with a sweet bounce pass than clang another three!

If he had a better handle, then he would be an ideal point forward.  The kid can make some slick passes. 

Moose

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/57021/amir-garrett

Above is his game log. He's still raw but he's cracking the rotation more and more. What do you like that he brings to the table? What does he need to work on? Who does he remind you of?

Highest basketball IQ on the team...sees the floor, understands spacing and how to find the holes in the opposing defense. Aggressive, with a borderline mean streak on the floor. Long, athletic, and all the other obvious stuff people have pointed out. Absolutely love this kid...he has winner written all over him. Does all the little things, has no ego on the floor. Very definition of a "glue guy".

The downside: absolutely no right hand, a worse J than Nurideen Lindsey, and apprently doenst know that he has a worse J than Nuri because he insists on shooting threes when he has literally no chance of making them. It has nothing to do with him being rusty...saw him a bunch on TV last year and he was a bricklayer then too. Needs to stick to slashing to the hole and shooting the ball within 5 feet of the basket.

Don't know if his jumper is worse than Nuri.  I actually saw Amir hit jumpers last year at a good clip.  I saw Nuri hit 2 in 9 games ha.

Worse than Nuri might have been harsh...maybe "as bad as.." I watched a bunch of Findlay games last year and it was the same thing as this year...not just misses, but total bricks. Wherever you think he stands on the Nuri scale, one thing is for sure...he needs a lot more work before he shoots from outside of five feet on a regular basis. Just keep doing all the (many) other things you're good at Amir...I'd rather see you hit a backdoor cutter with a sweet bounce pass than clang another three!

Agree with you on the reliance on the 3.  I think there is too much reliance on it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

tnice

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »

If he had a better handle, then he would be an ideal point forward.  The kid can make some slick passes.

Totally agree and thats something I can see happening, as opposed to him becoming a better shooter. In my experience, you can either shoot or you cant..the degree you can improve your shooting once you reach this level is limited. But you can absolutely improve your handle substantially just through hard work. Fully expect that to happen with Amir.

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »
Amir (and Branch) are in my Tuesday night class.

Amir gets a 100 on the sweetness category as he picked up my phone after it fell on the floor.

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
Amir (and Branch) are in my Tuesday night class.

Amir gets a 100 on the sweetness category as he picked up my phone after it fell on the floor.

Make sure you tell them both how happy we are to have them!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.