greene
harrison
garrett
pointer
moe

desco80

Re: Starting Lineup
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:46 AM »
We're not going to be able to sit Gift against bigger teams.  WVU is small like us so we could.  I wouldn't expect it against some of the teams we have coming up.   But who knows.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
I think we'll see the FROSH starting lineup at Duke and against bigger teams.  GG will be revved up on the bench ready to come in.  Couldn't be more pleased with the bounce in our step with this lineup heading to Duke.

kjd01067

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
We're not going to be able to sit Gift against bigger teams.  WVU is small like us so we could.  I wouldn't expect it against some of the teams we have coming up.   But who knows.

I understand your concern and not starting any true post players is dangerous, but it also creates match-up problems for the other team.  Kilicli had to guard Amir last night at the start of the game and he was winded within 5 minutes.  Also, as we saw last night the other team is going to get easy layups once and awhile because of the lack of size and rebounding from the back side of the zone, but we also saw how the length of the 5 freshman really disrupted passing lanes.   Sometimes you have to just put your 5 best players out on the court and just play and that's what we did last night.  The guys looked like they were having fun and it was fun to watch.

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

I understand your concern and not starting any true post players is dangerous, but it also creates match-up problems for the other team.  Kilicli had to guard Amir last night at the start of the game and he was winded within 5 minutes.  Also, as we saw last night the other team is going to get easy layups once and awhile because of the lack of size and rebounding from the back side of the zone, but we also saw how the length of the 5 freshman really disrupted passing lanes.   Sometimes you have to just put your 5 best players out on the court and just play and that's what we did last night.  The guys looked like they were having fun and it was fun to watch.

I agree, let the other team worry about the mismatches. Make them adjust

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:45 AM »
Playing small is being proactive and making other teams be reactive. It might work well if St. John's can rebound/dictate pace.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »

WVU started a bigger line-up and Huggins went with a smaller one when we started to open it up in the first half.  Toward the end of the half we had DLo, Phil, Malik, Dom and Moe out on the floor and we outquicked them big time.  Gift will get his minutes but I like the five frosh lineup we used last night.  I'll take Amir or Dom starting over Gift.

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
Gift had such a crumby game vs Nova something had to change.  It was a good move and played to our strength for a change.  Dom and Amir seem to work together well.  I was real impressed watching Amir shooting free throws.  Didn't know he had it in him.

desco80

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »

After last night I can't really argue with the results.  There's a lot to like about playing fast and making the other team adjust.   I just don't know if I can see Dunlap doing it against Melo, the Plumlees, Sims etc.   

But then again I'm not sure what lineup we could put out there is really a good matchup against 'Cuse or Duke.   So you guys are right, might as well play our game. 

derk

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Amir's speed and explosiveness allows us to have him replace Gift without much loss. GG will get his minutes anyway. Start the 5 frosh. It gets us more notoriety.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »

After last night I can't really argue with the results.  There's a lot to like about playing fast and making the other team adjust.   I just don't know if I can see Dunlap doing it against Melo, the Plumlees, Sims etc.   

But then again I'm not sure what lineup we could put out there is really a good matchup against 'Cuse or Duke.   So you guys are right, might as well play our game. 

Nothin to lose this year. F it. Who knows if Fat Melo os even coming back anyway

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
Start the 5 frosh. It gets us more notoriety.

Agreed.  Great press. Great for recruiting.