To all recruits...

• 28 replies
To all recruits...
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »
Fact:

Jay-Z went to St John's

When Artest and those squads were playing he used to come to games.

No Icon is going to watch you at any other school.

I'm pretty sure not many acts play in Waco and Phog Allen.  In fact I think they are not allowed in some of those places.

You know where its at

Re: To all recruits...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
Outrageous and very funny.  Jay-z did attend our games and I sat with him at a Miami/ StJ game at the Garden. I had no idea who he was but was interested that many cheerleaders from both sides came over to get their photo with him. I asked the fellow on his other side (Antonio Freeman from the then Super Bowl Champs and then Super Bowl runners up Green Bay Packers one month before ) "who is this guy".  He told me and I still didn't know how big he was although I recognized his name.  (I'm an old guy!) Jayz was gracious and funny and very down to earth. He loved StJ.  He wrote on a piece off the program some of his "records" I might enjoy and he signed it, I must have thrown it away inadvertently. My very bad! He is a good guy.
Antonio was a grand fellow with his Super Bowl ring. He offered me to try it on but I was more interested in his $130,000 Rolex watch which I wore in the second half.  He got the watch with runner up money he received for the Bowl the month before.  He would not let me take it home!   
We won the game; that was in '99 and we lost the BE championship the next night to UConn. StJ went on to  the elite 8 and were screwed out of the final four (IMO) which was won by UConn, their 1st, over the Dukies. I remember being so frustrated I gave my tickets to the championship to two co-eds from Duke and watched it instead from  Furgeson's Sports bar in St. Pete. That was one of our best years.. Jayz and Antonio loved Bootsey Thornton!

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
Outrageous and very funny.  Jay-z did attend our games and I sat with him at a Miami/ StJ game at the Garden. I had no idea who he was but was interested that many cheerleaders from both sides came over to get their photo with him. I asked the fellow on his other side (Antonio Freeman from the then Super Bowl Champs and then Super Bowl runners up Green Bay Packers one month before ) "who is this guy".  He told me and I still didn't know how big he was although I recognized his name.  (I'm an old guy!) Jayz was gracious and funny and very down to earth. He loved StJ.  He wrote on a piece off the program some of his "records" I might enjoy and he signed it, I must have thrown it away inadvertently. My very bad! He is a good guy.
Antonio was a grand fellow with his Super Bowl ring. He offered me to try it on but I was more interested in his $130,000 Rolex watch which I wore in the second half.  He got the watch with runner up money he received for the Bowl the month before.  He would not let me take it home!   
We won the game; that was in '99 and we lost the BE championship the next night to UConn. StJ went on to  the elite 8 and were screwed out of the final four (IMO) which was won by UConn, their 1st, over the Dukies. I remember being so frustrated I gave my tickets to the championship to two co-eds from Duke and watched it instead from  Furgeson's Sports bar in St. Pete. That was one of our best years.. Jayz and Antonio loved Bootsey Thornton!

Funny story!

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
Jay Z went to college?

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
Lloyd Banks was at a game on campus earlier in the season. I think J Cole came to a game too. It would be great if Jay-Z & Beyonce showed up to a game now though. Hell maybe we can get Kim Kardashian to a game she might be interested in Harkless  :)

Moose

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
Jay Z went to college?

No he didn't.
Didnt even graduate HS
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
Jay Z went to college?

No he didn't.
Didnt even graduate HS

School of the Hard Knocks!

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
j cole went to st. john's not jay z
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:41:55 PM by redstorm89 »

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:22 PM »
God I hope J Cole isn't IllWIll

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
Darryl McDaniels attended St. John's. Not sure if he graduated.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »
Jay Z went to college?

No he didn't.
Didnt even graduate HS

School of the Hard Knocks!

Haha, post of the year right here. Great job

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
If Jay Z lover St.John's so much it wouldn't be a secret. He'd be at games. Ashley Judd loves Kentucky. Bill Clinton loves Arkansas. We need a love affair like that.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
If Jay Z lover St.John's so much it wouldn't be a secret. He'd be at games. Ashley Judd loves Kentucky. Bill Clinton loves Arkansas. We need a love affair like that.

He'll be there when we are a top 10 team in 2 years, along with 10k other frontrunners. I remember Spike showing up court side with his Barkley jersey on back in the day.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Jay-Z, being a minority owner in the Nets, may not be spending too much time at the Garden.

redslope

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
Jay-Z, being a minority owner in the Nets, may not be spending too much time at the Garden.

But he can be front and center when we play in Brooklyn which will be an annual visit.  Who knows--Maybe St. John's vs. St. Francis will be the inaugural college game at the new arena!

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
Recruits commit where they think the coach gives them the best chance at reaching the NBA or lucrative overseas deals. Jay-z appears to not be a diehard sju fan, and in my years going to stjohns game never seen or heard him being talked about there. Jay-z coming to an stj bball game when metta world peace played here is irrelevant to the modern recruit in general, especially top-tier recruits.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
any big time school will have stars come to the games

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »
someone just tweeted "let the coaching carousel begin".  so this got me thinking that there are a few verbally committed recruits who could potentially have their college coach fired in the next 2-3 weeks.  if the head coach is fired, these verbally committed recruits would likely reopen their recruitment.  this could provide us to get a couple of last minute commitments.

thoughts?

LJSA

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
someone just tweeted "let the coaching carousel begin".  so this got me thinking that there are a few verbally committed recruits who could potentially have their college coach fired in the next 2-3 weeks.  if the head coach is fired, these verbally committed recruits would likely reopen their recruitment.  this could provide us to get a couple of last minute commitments.

thoughts?

SMU is my first thought.

NYCoffey

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 05:37:10 PM »
Was it Bernardi that committed to SMU?