More Good News Perhaps

• 92 replies
Re: More Good News Perhaps
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
On the Chandler thread- which has been very quiet the last 2 weeks,
someone posted that he was on campus 2-3 weeks ago (though not confirmed)

Anyone know if he's yet visited even unofficially ?
Molloy '71

desco80

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
And, for what it's worth...

Part of the reason we got dunked over by 'cuse and duke etc was as much a result of strategic choices made by the staff as it was our lack of height.

They choose to play the matchup zone (which is fine, it works)  but when they do that and place Dom or Amir at the top of the zone, they know that means D'angelo is moving to one of the wings.   Then the ball rotates to the other side of the court, and before you know it Harrison is forced to guard a guy on the weakside low block.   And that's what caused a lot of those alley-oops. 

But the staff knows that's a price you pay for playing the D they've chosen, and putting one of Dom/Amir at the top.   It's not always just our lack of height, sometimes it's a result of the strengths and weaknesses of the type of D we play.

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
Why is Orlando Sanchez being billed as a "scorer"? Was he a scorer at Monroe?

Numbers very similar to Brownlee at JUCO, both on loaded teams.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
With no more addition we are currently bigger than we were two years ago when we beat 5 top 15 teams.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Chilleb

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
How many bigs do other schools have? More than we do.

If you're talking about Seton Hall and RU, yea, I hear ya, we're right there w them, and that's not what we're building here.

Georgetown always 4 or 5. They had so many that Henry Sims didn't even need to play until his senior year. SU has at least 3. Louisville has two great ones that start. Uconn has Oriakhi and Drummond, but you know that Calhoun isn't careless enough to go into next season with no bigs on the roster. I'm sure he has bigs waiting their turn.

I just don't want to see us get dunked on at will, and I honestly think Gift shouldn't be in the rotation. He is not a BE player.
SU went , fab melo, Christams, Coleman back to back to back

Yea and played Melo and Rakeem at once. Jimmy knew Melo wouldn't be around so it's easy to bring in Coleman. If Melo was still going to be around I don't see Coleman coming and if he did someone would not be happy.

If we bring in 2 bigs either the big is good and eats into PT of the 3's and 4's right on down the depth chart. Only so many minutes to go around.

Remember unhappy players leave and players leaving is bad APR. Bad APR is hello Uconn right now
So your insinuating that after we land one more big the rest of the ships should go to 13? Let me ask you this, when 3'angelo isn't in the game whose our next best offensive threat and when you answer that ask yourself if that player is exceptionally offensively gifted at the big east level.

I agree with you that we lack a real second or 3rd scoring option.  Sampson could be it, maybe Sanchez helps as well, but theyre not certainties.  The problem though is I don't think theres an impact recruit out there for 2012 anymore.

I do think Wood fits the bill though.  So if we were to sign him for 2013, and Turner (who was a scoring machine in HS). I'd probably prefer that over another big man who won't see much playing time like a Rhoomes.

Chandler is the obvious exception.  We need to make sure he's going to be here before we talk about secondary recruits or 2013.
Carlos Morris, but I doubt it's a reality. We probably wait till 13' to get some more offensive firepower. But it's def a need I'm tired of seeing the guys play ring around the Rosie at the top of the key for 34 of the 35 seconds on the shot clock the throw up garbage due to lack of offensive intangibles

Moose

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »

If you're talking about Seton Hall and RU, yea, I hear ya, we're right there w them, and that's not what we're building here.

Georgetown always 4 or 5. They had so many that Henry Sims didn't even need to play until his senior year. SU has at least 3. Louisville has two great ones that start. Uconn has Oriakhi and Drummond, but you know that Calhoun isn't careless enough to go into next season with no bigs on the roster. I'm sure he has bigs waiting their turn.

I just don't want to see us get dunked on at will, and I honestly think Gift shouldn't be in the rotation. He is not a BE player.

Yea and played Melo and Rakeem at once. Jimmy knew Melo wouldn't be around so it's easy to bring in Coleman. If Melo was still going to be around I don't see Coleman coming and if he did someone would not be happy.

If we bring in 2 bigs either the big is good and eats into PT of the 3's and 4's right on down the depth chart. Only so many minutes to go around.

Remember unhappy players leave and players leaving is bad APR. Bad APR is hello Uconn right now
So your insinuating that after we land one more big the rest of the ships should go to 13? Let me ask you this, when 3'angelo isn't in the game whose our next best offensive threat and when you answer that ask yourself if that player is exceptionally offensively gifted at the big east level.

I agree with you that we lack a real second or 3rd scoring option.  Sampson could be it, maybe Sanchez helps as well, but theyre not certainties.  The problem though is I don't think theres an impact recruit out there for 2012 anymore.

I do think Wood fits the bill though.  So if we were to sign him for 2013, and Turner (who was a scoring machine in HS). I'd probably prefer that over another big man who won't see much playing time like a Rhoomes.

Chandler is the obvious exception.  We need to make sure he's going to be here before we talk about secondary recruits or 2013.
Carlos Morris, but I doubt it's a reality. We probably wait till 13' to get some more offensive firepower. But it's def a need I'm tired of seeing the guys play ring around the Rosie at the top of the key for 34 of the 35 seconds on the shot clock the throw up garbage due to lack of offensive intangibles

I hate that too but limited bodies led to limited possessions.  I'd like to think with 11 players that changes.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »

I hate that too but limited bodies led to limited possessions.  I'd like to think with 11 players that changes.
It's gonna feel so good to hear that loud horn next year. [ hornnnnnnn] SUB! Lol

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
With no more addition we are currently bigger than we were two years ago when we beat 5 top 15 teams.

Not sure if thats true:
Sanchez , Achuiwa & Sampson all aprox 6'8"
Brownlee 6'7" Evans 6'8" Burrell 6'8" Coker 6'10"
In addition the 09 seniors were not thin like Sanchez & Sampson

We need one more big (Chandler ?)
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »

Not sure if thats true:

Coker never played
You excluding other players on the team.  Rebounding is a team effort not just bigs.  Bottom line is that team with flaws finished among the worst rebounding teams in all of D1 made the NCAA tournament.

Chilleb

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »

Not sure if thats true:

Coker never played
You excluding other players on the team.  Rebounding is a team effort not just bigs.  Bottom line is that team with flaws finished among the worst rebounding teams in all of D1 made the NCAA tournament.
Didn't DJ lead that team
In rebounding

Moose

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »

Not sure if thats true:

Coker never played
Didn't DJ lead that team
In rebounding

Yup

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Not sure if thats true:

Coker never played

You are right- Coker didnt play.
But one of the worst rebounding teams in D1? Your kidding ?

In big East play SJU outrebounded opponents by .6/ game !  <-- corrected
-thats middle of the pack big east !
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:50:30 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

Not sure if thats true:

Coker never played

You are right- Coker didnt play.
But one of the worst rebounding teams in D1? Your kidding ?

In big East play they were outrebounded by 10 boards in 18 games-
thats less than .6 per game-thats middle of the pack big east !

RPG was the stat not differential.  We were ranked 280 out of 330 I think.

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
Differential is much much more important than RPG.

Which is the better rebounding team
One that outrebounds its opponent 25-20
or the one that gets outrebounded 35-30 ?

Physical big east with lots of foul shots (?) and slow offensive sets will affect RPG

I hope next years team rebounds as well as the 10/11 team.
Achuiwa already showed he's a below average rebounder
I fear that without another Big (Chandler or Obekpa or other) we will have trouble

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:18:37 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
Nice synopsis of potential recruits referenced above.

“@ECoastBias: St. John's basketball updated scholarship chart 4-23 #stjbb Plus list of 2012 targets. http://t.co/vNxO3XXx

desco80

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:27 PM »
Are the guys who make Rumble posters here?

sju89tr

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »

Nope, don't think so

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »

Yes at least one of them
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »

Yes at least one of them

Yea Pico/Peter is a mod here but doesn't post much anymore

Chilleb

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »
St johns had major international appeal. 4 out of 10 guys not from the states