Awful

• 3 replies
Awful
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
I witnessed 9/11 very close up, stayed at work on Wall St running our generators till that Friday. I was on roof of my building catching business cards from the first tower hit, when the 2nd plane flew right in front of me thru the 2nd tower. Less than 2 months later, a plane crashed 4 blocks from my house. Ive seen my fair share of insanity. But what I witnessed on Tuesday afternoon coming home from work might take the prize. I work at the Time Warner Center on 58th and 8th. As the train pulled into Times Square 42nd street, I see this guy walk into the side of the train, while its moving. He disappears, and I can see everyone on platform yelling while the train finally comes to stop. The conductor doesnt open the doors for a few mins, but when he does its the worst thing I ever seen. Right wher Im sitting this guy is twisted into a pretzel, from his waist down is twisted the wrong way-facing up, and his upper torso facind down on platform. 1 leg stuck in between the platform and  the ledge where you step onto train. The guy was twitching but what he hell do you do to help? Glad this week is over

sju89tr

Re: Awful
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54:33 AM »
Oh my God, when you see someone die or on the verge of dying as a result of an accident or even self inflicted, it stays with you forever. While I was in college, I was driving in Brooklyn and saw an elderly woman who must have been hit by a car and she was partially covered in the street. I can still vividly remember a stream of blood running from her body to the sewer opening. It was a terrible sight.     

Foad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
I witnessed 9/11 very close up, stayed at work on Wall St running our generators till that Friday. I was on roof of my building catching business cards from the first tower hit, when the 2nd plane flew right in front of me thru the 2nd tower. Less than 2 months later, a plane crashed 4 blocks from my house. Ive seen my fair share of insanity. But what I witnessed on Tuesday afternoon coming home from work might take the prize. I work at the Time Warner Center on 58th and 8th. As the train pulled into Times Square 42nd street, I see this guy walk into the side of the train, while its moving. He disappears, and I can see everyone on platform yelling while the train finally comes to stop. The conductor doesnt open the doors for a few mins, but when he does its the worst thing I ever seen. Right wher Im sitting this guy is twisted into a pretzel, from his waist down is twisted the wrong way-facing up, and his upper torso facind down on platform. 1 leg stuck in between the platform and  the ledge where you step onto train. The guy was twitching but what he hell do you do to help? Glad this week is over

Certainly that's tragic. If I were Baldi's attorney I might recommend suing the MTA for infliction of emotional distress for their failure to have safeguards in place that would have prevented you witnessing an event that's going to haunt you for the rest of your life and probably give you PTS which will require an extended and expensive course of psychotherapy - beyond the one you already obviously need. Bit of a dog theory but good enough methinks for a nuisance settlement. Regarding the poor victim it's a shame that no one who spends their days and nights saving lives was there to help. They might have tried mouth to mouth or the Heimlich manuever or the those eletronic things that you strap on the chest and yell clear although if as you say the torso was facing down that'd have been a logistical nightmare. Instead the poor bastard never had a chance. There but for the grace of god.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
I was almost afraid to read when I saw that fun/foad had posted on this thread.  But, like passing by a train wreck (no pun intended), I had to look.  It was actually much tamer than I had anticipated.