Presidential Election 2012

• 18 replies

pmg911

Presidential Election 2012
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
Started this thread on BEB and thought I would do it here, specifically because of the younger audience. I am curious to hear the views of younger voters.

Four months ago I would not have thought any Republican had a chance to beat President Obama but I have changed my mind and I think its going to be a very close race this Fall.

I am Republican but not convinced Rommney is right guy for the job but I also think our current POTUS is terrible and far too liberal to govern our country. He is completlely unwilling to move to the middle of the political world and that is the only place a Democrat can have success as President.

Re: Presidential Election 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
I guess it all depends on how you define middle.  Guys like LMF and myself would say he abandoned the left but it all depends on where you're watching from.  So many of his initiatives were actually bi-partisan or outright Republican ideals  in the era before the mix of the tea party and the far right social conservatives managed to shift the GOP party focus.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
Oh and I agree with you it will be a far more interesting and close campaign than I would have thought 6 months ago as well.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
I guess it all depends on how you define middle.  Guys like LMF and myself would say he abandoned the left but it all depends on where you're watching from.  So many of his initiatives were actually bi-partisan or outright Republican ideals  in the era before the mix of the tea party and the far right social conservatives managed to shift the GOP party focus.

I don't think it is fair to use Republican & Tea Party in the same sentence. I am Republican & Conservative and I think those Tea Baggers are a bunch of idiots.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »
And I respect you for it but how many Republicans have signed Grover Norquist's pledge (big ups to Lindsey Graham this week by the way, hope he starts a trend).  How many of the less intelligent of your party (both parties have them of course) think not only that Sarah Palin is a voice worth listening to but a valid candidate for national office?  They are idiots but they wield influence in the GOP like it or not and not for the better, as it would appear both you and I agree.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:43:11 PM by yankcranker »

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
2 weeks left and no one wants to share their opinion...

Doesn't the younger generation have a voice and opinion on the most important thing oing on in our country right now..?

What do the current students think about the job market and who do you think can create a better economy for you to enter when you finish at St. John's..?

Moose

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
2 weeks left and no one wants to share their opinion...

Doesn't the younger generation have a voice and opinion on the most important thing oing on in our country right now..?

What do the current students think about the job market and who do you think can create a better economy for you to enter when you finish at St. John's..?

The electoral college makes the whole process a sham IMO.
Both candidates are chalk full of flaws.
There should be no political parties.

That is all ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
When candidates for the top job in the world pick running mates like Lieberman and Palin you have to wonder what they'd do when the heat's on.  This is like a national IQ test and half the country is about to flunk.  A depressing and scary situation.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
I'm waiting for Gov. Christie to shed a 100 lbs so he can run at the next opportunity on the republican ticket.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
I've voted for the losing candidate every 4 years since 1992. Basically Bush Senior in 88 was the only won that's ever won with my vote.

I'm thinking about voting Obama just to put the hex on

LJSA

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
I'm waiting for Gov. Christie to shed a 100 lbs so he can run at the next opportunity on the republican ticket.  ;)

That way he can just be a blowhard instead of a fat blowhard.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »

You're absolutely right, it comes down to perspective.   Personally, I think on issues like executive power and foreign policy; there's no question he's abandoned the left.    The truth is there is very little difference among the two major parties in those areas anymore.   The Bush doctrine and unchecked executive power have become the de facto "establishment" position.   The only differences on foreign policy are semantic; do you yell at Ahmadinejad and then hit him with a stick?  Or, hit him with the stick first and then yell at him.    Romney and Obama don't have different positions at all on foreign affairs, they just emphasize inconsequential differences in the language each other use.

And to answer your call PMG;  I'm not thrilled with Obama, but I'd vote for him based on economics alone.   We have a lack of demand, and interest rates are incredibly low.   Forcing the biggest employer to slash his spending now and make layoffs doesn't make sense to me.    The private sector has to cut back during a downturn, it's the government's responsibility to fill that gap.  And when they can borrow cheaply to do it, it doesn't bother me at all   
That's my view, but I respect those that disagree.   And there are many I'm sure. 

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
All I have to say about the elections.....can't wait til it's over. So sick of both Reps and Dems.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
I just wonder what it would take for guys like Romney to invest in the US instead of the Caymans and Switzerland.  Taxes have been low for awhile and not much good has happened.  I also have many retired friends who count on SS who are staunch Republicans.  Go figure.

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I mean our options are a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich. Hard to get me jazzed about voting.

redslope

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
go with the guy who knows what college BB is and attends rather than the one who thinks NCAA is another name for an ATM as in Now Cash Anytime Anywhere.

crgreen

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
I mean our options are a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich. Hard to get me jazzed about voting.

Seems  like I have to bring out the latest version of this one eyery election the last couple decades!

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
For me the old "devil you know" principle applies this year.  Let Mitt come back when the heat's off.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
Will always apply.
Fire Mullin.