new big east commisioner?

• 21 replies
new big east commisioner?
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
per friars board pitino has stated he would recommend Jay Bilas as new commissioner and that the new found "diversity may  be a strength in the long run".  sounds somewhat plausible.

Re: new big east commisioner?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
The guy's a practicing attorney and has an obvious long standing relationship with college basketball. It'd be an interesting choice for sure.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
“@DanielJMartin_: From @CBTonNBC: Rick Pitino thinks Jay Bilas should be the next commissioner of the Big East http://t.co/NixoPzxQ

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »
Bilas would be a great idea.  My only reservation is whether he'd have the cojones or heart to try to trump his homeland ACC any chance we get.  No doubt he's totally capable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:17:25 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
How about Len Elmore, also a practicing attorney (not that it matters)?  Has NYC ties, from HS days and although also an ACC grad I don't think he's got the same ties as Bilas might.  Only downside is Len's a lot more reserved and soft-spoken than Bilas.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
“@DanielJMartin_: From @CBTonNBC: Rick Pitino thinks Jay Bilas should be the next commissioner of the Big East http://t.co/NixoPzxQ

How are Jay Bilas' geography skills?

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
No Thanks on Bilas.  He can stay put being king clown at the worldwide leader. 

RedVet

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »

After listening to Coach K talk about building a super basketball conference -- one so powerful it wouldn't be have to answer to the NCAA -- why would the BE trust its future to Duke loyalist Jay Bilas? It would be like the British hiring Joseph Goebbels to be their press agent.

Tiznow

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
He's a sports talk guy on TV with a law degree.  How about Mike Katz?

He knows a lot about college basketball.

The league needs a guy with experience running sports leagues or someone from a major sports franchise with a great resume.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
"That Rick is a difficult customer. One never knows what he'll do, nor why,"
-Steve Lavin
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
  Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas
If I take the Big East Commissioner job, I will appoint Bill Raftery the Hospitality Czar. Big East Tourney will be OPEN BAR!!

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
  Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas
If I take the Big East Commissioner job, I will appoint Bill Raftery the Hospitality Czar. Big East Tourney will be OPEN BAR!!
well its a good thing Huggins will be gone

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
  Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas
well its a good thing Huggins will be gone

Jim Calhoun might re-up though...

desco80

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »
Bilas isn't the craziest name to suggest, but I think they go with someone with more TV and marketing experience.   
Bilas talks about basketball on tv, that's very different then formulating a plan to get Big East sports on as many television sets as possible, and finding new revenue streams. 

Seems like the VP of the NCAA who stepped down last month would be a good pick - Greg Shaheen.   He's been running the NCAA tournament for the past years, doesn't have football experience per se, but he's made the tournament into a cash cow for the NCAA.   

Here's his bio from a conference he spoke at sponsored by the NBA: http://www.nba.com/techsummit/bio_greg_shaheen.html

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
Bilas isn't the craziest name to suggest, but I think they go with someone with more TV and marketing experience.   
Bilas talks about basketball on tv, that's very different then formulating a plan to get Big East sports on as many television sets as possible, and finding new revenue streams. 

Seems like the VP of the NCAA who stepped down last month would be a good pick - Greg Shaheen.   He's been running the NCAA tournament for the past years, doesn't have football experience per se, but he's made the tournament into a cash cow for the NCAA.   

Here's his bio from a conference he spoke at sponsored by the NBA: http://www.nba.com/techsummit/bio_greg_shaheen.html

Well respected! good choice!

Tiznow

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
How about Lou Lamoriello?  He was the AD at Providence and hired Pitino.  The guy is a winner.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »
How about Lou Lamoriello?  He was the AD at Providence and hired Pitino.  The guy is a winner.

Not leaving the Debbies.
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
Bilas' quotes are the ones of a man who won't be taking the job, so we'd best keep looking.