Around Big East

• 3954 replies

MCNPA

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3260 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
There is no way Minnesota should be 14 and Providence should be unranked, but after watching the first half of this game and our game against New Orleans you can really tell the difference between a well coached team and us.

Murphy is a balla for the Gophers.

Scoring at will on Bullock.

Mason is an amazing guard.  Bulletproof and a big guard...  Minnesota has built quite a team, also took Pitino a while...

« Reply #3261 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
There is no way Minnesota should be 14 and Providence should be unranked, but after watching the first half of this game and our game against New Orleans you can really tell the difference between a well coached team and us.

Mason is an amazing guard.  Bulletproof and a big guard...  Minnesota has built quite a team, also took Pitino a while...

Actually, he's only had one losing season at Minnesota (won the NIT his first season).  He finally had a winning season in conference play last season (his "breakout" season) after a horrific season in 2015-2016.

Again, I don't mind growing pains, as long as I see growth and a semblance of order or a method to the madness.  Our current group should finish anywhere between 5th-7th (preferably, 5th-6th).  Anything lower than that should mean some form of changes somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:44:56 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #3262 on: November 13, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »

They have good players and appear to be well coached. They get after it.

« Reply #3263 on: November 13, 2017, 08:48:44 PM »

Outside of Coffey and Washington, I don't believe they have anyone on their roster was rated amongst the top 100 kids out of high school (I went through their roster during the game).  So, you would have to assume there's some good player development going on.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:49:49 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #3264 on: November 13, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »
Providence has a lot of beef in the frontline. I don't know who we have who can guard these guys.

MCNPA

« Reply #3265 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:59 PM »

Actually, he's only had one losing season at Minnesota (won the NIT his first season).  He finally had a winning season in conference play last season (his "breakout" season) after a horrific season in 2015-2016.

Again, I don't mind growing pains, as long as I see growth and a semblance of order or a method to the madness.  Our current group should finish anywhere between 5th-7th (preferably, 5th-6th).  Anything lower than that should mean some form of changes somewhere.

Terry, I’d still love to see us hire a veteran Assistant HC who’s a bit more disciplinarian than we currently have on staff.  I have no doubt that we have some excellent basketball minds.  I just question whether we have the complete order and organization to get us to the next level.  We are sooo missing an assistant HC who we never replaced. I’d like to see a seasoned person who has some experience and has been here before..  I think I echo what everybody wants, but the school/staff doesn’t see that apparently.

« Reply #3266 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »

Terry, I’d still love to see us hire a veteran Assistant HC who’s a bit more disciplinarian than we currently have on staff.  I have no doubt that we have some excellent basketball minds.  I just question whether we have the complete order and organization to get us to the next level.  We are sooo missing an assistant HC who we never replaced. I’d like to see a seasoned person who has some experience and has been here before..  I think I echo what everybody wants, but the school/staff doesn’t see that apparently.

+1

paultzman

« Reply #3267 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »

Agree

QuanMan

« Reply #3268 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »
Xavier with back to back 100 point games out of the gate. Freshman Point Guard Paul Scruggs is the real deal, the next Big East star. This team is a force to be reckoned with, they've come back bigger, stronger and deeper. Tyrique Jones a obvious matchup for Marv. Macura spent some time in the weight room this Summer.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3269 on: November 13, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »
Calling mjmaher.... 

« Reply #3270 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
LMFAO!  :2funny:

SJUFAN

« Reply #3271 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:50 AM »

He's proving to be a fine young coach. His one year at FIU and now at Minnesota has got me sold. I would look to hire him at SJU if we decide to change coaches.

goredmen

« Reply #3272 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:51 AM »

He's proving to be a fine young coach. His one year at FIU and now at Minnesota has got me sold. I would look to hire him at SJU if we decide to change coaches.

Lol. And why would Little Pitino want to take a step down the coaching ladder and come here?

Foad

« Reply #3273 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »

Plus he comes from a good family, so he's got that going for him.

« Reply #3274 on: November 14, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
Just remember the disaster of a season he had in 15-16, Pitino Jr that is.  He was 8-23/2-16 and after 3 years had actually gotten worse each year and still had not made an NCAA Tourney in 3 years.

Just remember he was squarely on the hot seat in his 4th year, last year.

Getting Coffey and a few other players and getting healthy changed the whole dynamic of that program.  It's not like he got to a be such a better coach in a year.

My larger point is the idea that everyone on this board is praising him is fine, the problem is the same people who praise him now would have tried to run him out of town with the same 3 year run at SJU....

It always amuses me to watch how patient people are with OTHER PROGRAM's but not the one's they follow.

« Reply #3275 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
Just remember the disaster of a season he had in 15-16, Pitino Jr that is.  He was 8-23/2-16 and after 3 years had actually gotten worse each year and still had not made an NCAA Tourney in 3 years.

Getting Coffey and a few other players and getting healthy changed the whole dynamic of that program.  It's not like he got to a be such a better coach in a year.

My larger point is the idea that everyone on this board is praising him is fine, the problem is the same people who praise him now would have tried to run him out of town with the same 3 year run at SJU....

It always amuses me to watch how patient people are with OTHER PROGRAM's but not the one's they follow.

Thanks and well said.

« Reply #3276 on: November 14, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »

+1

« Reply #3277 on: November 14, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more.

« Reply #3278 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more.
We have been patient for the last 5 coaching hires and where did that get us? Just sayin. If Mo gets enough talent we can win without being well coached.

ras

« Reply #3279 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
How about getting an experienced assistant coach to compliment Mullin. Good talent does better w good coaching. And Fun’s comments that Amar is following orders by hoisting 3s and not playing inside does not reflect well on Mullins coaching.