Re-Introduction to Jamal Branch

• 74 replies
Re: Re-Introduction to Jamal Branch
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
Just getting in on this 10/6 business.  10 pts is certainly doable, and depending on minutes played, not even an unreasonable expectation for a kid with 50 pt scoring games on his high school resume, like Branch.   But 6 assists a game?   Do you realize that right now, that would put him #25 in all of Division 1?

6.0 assists is an EXCEPTIONAL number.   It's the equivalent of projecting 21 points a game.   Or 10 rebounds a game.   Or  48% 3pt shooting.   Or 92% Free Throws.   or a 3.2:1 Assist to Turnover Ratio.  Or 2.6 blocks per game. 

Not saying 6 is impossible, just that to expect it is silly.   I think 4 or better would be an outstanding first year for us.    Put it this way - 10.0 pts and 4.7 assists got Marquise Teague into the first round as a frosh.

Greene was averaging four with no interior passes and not being able to pass to himself. A good point guard could get 6 assists just from finding dlo and jakarr for jumpers.

No.  Honestly, they can't.  GREAT pgs can. 

Again, I'll be thrilled if he can.   There's a chance that he can.  But there shouldn't be the expectation that he (or any specific player) will.      There are  345 D-1 programs.    345 D-1 starting PGs.     How do you define "good", or "great"?    Is being better than 90% of your peers great?   Is better than 75% of them "very  good"?   Gotta figure  50%   is pretty much the definition of average.  So....51-74% above average or "good"?

To be better than 90% of your peers this year, you need 5.7 assists per game (ranked #35 or better).    To  be better than 75%, you need 4.6.   To be "good" in this definition,  51% to 74% - you need....surprise - 4.0 per game.    :)

And I think we all hope Jamal can distribute the ball better than Phil.

If you were to make a list of the 35 best point guards in the NCAA it wouldn't be the same list as the 35 highest APG average. Some point guards excell at different areas of the game. Personally, I prefer a pass first point guard.

Phil is doing Yoeman's work as a PG this season even though he is probably better suited as a SG or combo type.  I hope people don't forget how good of a job Phill Greene is doing this year.  People don't want to look at his numbers as an indication, but they are excellent, even if he's not a "pure" PG.  If this team overall were a little further along and more mature, Phil would probably be praised.  I for one am happy to have him.  He's not further down the line than 6th man at worst.  Kid is good.

He is not a point guard. You can't simply make someone a point guard becuase he can dribble w/o having the ball stolen. Our two best guards happen to play the same position. I think Phil would be an exceptional sixth man and a fine replacement for Harrison after the fist fight with coach.

ras

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
Just getting in on this 10/6 business.  10 pts is certainly doable, and depending on minutes played, not even an unreasonable expectation for a kid with 50 pt scoring games on his high school resume, like Branch.   But 6 assists a game?   Do you realize that right now, that would put him #25 in all of Division 1?

6.0 assists is an EXCEPTIONAL number.   It's the equivalent of projecting 21 points a game.   Or 10 rebounds a game.   Or  48% 3pt shooting.   Or 92% Free Throws.   or a 3.2:1 Assist to Turnover Ratio.  Or 2.6 blocks per game. 

Not saying 6 is impossible, just that to expect it is silly.   I think 4 or better would be an outstanding first year for us.    Put it this way - 10.0 pts and 4.7 assists got Marquise Teague into the first round as a frosh.

Greene was averaging four with no interior passes and not being able to pass to himself. A good point guard could get 6 assists just from finding dlo and jakarr for jumpers.

No.  Honestly, they can't.  GREAT pgs can. 

Again, I'll be thrilled if he can.   There's a chance that he can.  But there shouldn't be the expectation that he (or any specific player) will.      There are  345 D-1 programs.    345 D-1 starting PGs.     How do you define "good", or "great"?    Is being better than 90% of your peers great?   Is better than 75% of them "very  good"?   Gotta figure  50%   is pretty much the definition of average.  So....51-74% above average or "good"?

To be better than 90% of your peers this year, you need 5.7 assists per game (ranked #35 or better).    To  be better than 75%, you need 4.6.   To be "good" in this definition,  51% to 74% - you need....surprise - 4.0 per game.    :)

And I think we all hope Jamal can distribute the ball better than Phil.

If you were to make a list of the 35 best point guards in the NCAA it wouldn't be the same list as the 35 highest APG average. Some point guards excell at different areas of the game. Personally, I prefer a pass first point guard.

Phil is doing Yoeman's work as a PG this season even though he is probably better suited as a SG or combo type.  I hope people don't forget how good of a job Phill Greene is doing this year.  People don't want to look at his numbers as an indication, but they are excellent, even if he's not a "pure" PG.  If this team overall were a little further along and more mature, Phil would probably be praised.  I for one am happy to have him.  He's not further down the line than 6th man at worst.  Kid is good.

He is not a point guard. You can't simply make someone a point guard becuase he can dribble w/o having the ball stolen. Our two best guards happen to play the same position. I think Phil would be an exceptional sixth man and a fine replacement for Harrison after the fist fight with coach.
Or after he leaves for Europe after this year.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »

I don't think six is out of the question for a few reasons:  (1) Sampson is hitting everythinghe throws up from midrange (2) Harrison is a fierce three-point threat (3) there will be a ton of transition buckets (4) nobody else penetrates on this team. 

With that said, I think he'll average between 4-5 assists per game if he's as good as we all hope.  My fingers are freaking crossed because this team needs a nasty point!

desco80

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »
Im just excited to see Branch finally play on Friday. 

boo3

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
 Can't wait to see this board after the next game when Jamal plays 12 minutes and puts up mediocre numbers.  It's his first game in a long time...lets give him a little slack from the get-go.  I don't know what to expect from him, but I'm certainly not projecting any huge numbers.

Moose

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
Can't wait to see this board after the next game when Jamal plays 12 minutes and puts up mediocre numbers.  It's his first game in a long time...lets give him a little slack from the get-go.  I don't know what to expect from him, but I'm certainly not projecting any huge numbers.

Oh you know its coming :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

kjd01067

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »

I have no huge expectations for Jamal especially in his first game but I hope he plays a lot more than 12 minutes. He needs as much playing time as possible vs UNCA

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
article from February with comments from Dunlap and Amir on Branch's abilities:

“The turnover count and our ability to get away with sloppiness on the first team were greatly reduced because he can control the (second team) offense,” said assistant coach Mike Dunlap, who continues to handle the game-coaching responsibilities as head coach Steve Lavin recuperates from prostate cancer surgery. “He can be on that scout team . . . and he picks up on it right away. That really lifted the ability of the second unit to play against the first.”

“(He) helps us to practice plays. His offensive game is good, but on defense he also brings a lot of pressure. This helps us to prepare for our games," freshman Amir Garrett said. "Jamal is one of the top point guards. When we are guarding him, it is like facing the opponent because he is as good as any point guard in the country.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-newest-addition-jamal-branch-begins-practicing-red-storm-helping-angelo-harrison-phil-green-improve-wednesday-game-pittsburgh-article-1.1030320

Poison

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »
If only his photo was plastered all over Sports Illustrated, the Sporting News, The NY Times, The NY Times Magazine, The NY Daily News, The NY Post and Newsday. That way, the entire college basketball world could expect him to replace Michael Jordan. Or outperform him.

Instead, all we have is each other to hype him up like The Savior. (Not be confused w El Savior)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:25:57 PM by Poison »

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
and Saturday morning he'll be called a bum :'(

Moose

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
and Saturday morning he'll be called a bum :'(

Friday night after his first turnover
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:33:15 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
article from February with comments from Dunlap and Amir on Branch's abilities:

“The turnover count and our ability to get away with sloppiness on the first team were greatly reduced because he can control the (second team) offense,” said assistant coach Mike Dunlap, who continues to handle the game-coaching responsibilities as head coach Steve Lavin recuperates from prostate cancer surgery. “He can be on that scout team . . . and he picks up on it right away. That really lifted the ability of the second unit to play against the first.”

“(He) helps us to practice plays. His offensive game is good, but on defense he also brings a lot of pressure. This helps us to prepare for our games," freshman Amir Garrett said. "Jamal is one of the top point guards. When we are guarding him, it is like facing the opponent because he is as good as any point guard in the country.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-newest-addition-jamal-branch-begins-practicing-red-storm-helping-angelo-harrison-phil-green-improve-wednesday-game-pittsburgh-article-1.1030320

Have to say that those are some nice compliments thrown out there for Branch,  If he turns out half as good as I'm hoping, we will improve quite a bit overall as a team over the course of the next few games.

TONYD3

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
We need him to be good- about time we get some good luck-

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 11:18:32 PM »
We need him to be good- about time we get some good luck-

Amen.
Dunlap called him a natural in the pick-and-roll.  I hope that ignites the offense, because we haven't had a lot of continuity yet.