The Gaylads

• 3 replies
The Gaylads
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »
I been encouraged to post more of the rocksteady to enhance the cultural offering here on the JJ and elsewheres.

As many you know, the rocksteady was a musical stylin that grew out of the ska in mid-1960s Jamaica and was a precursor to the reggae. It brought the ska tempo down much slower so it was all chill as hell. It was also stripped down to the basics focusin most def on vocal harmonies - a key diff wit the reggae.

Now Sir Alton Ellis is perhaps the father of the rocksteady. We gonna delve into him a bit later.

But first off, is The Gaylads was a trio from Kingston who mix the political wit the soulful calm of they native land. Why am I introducin this lesson wit The Gaylads, you ask?

Cause this here was a fave of my grams. It would always be playin in her apartment to remind her of home.

The Gaylads - Its Hard To Confess

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Re: The Gaylads
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »
Its great how little things like this can instantly bring back so many memories. I like this, thanks for sharing

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Good stuff. Just one question though-would they still name themselves the Gaylads if they were starting out today? :-\ :)

crgreen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »
Its great how little things like this can instantly bring back so many memories. I like this, thanks for sharing

A Trio from Kingston?  Talk about musical memories on many levels and genres!  :)