Dom Pointer - overall progress

• 95 replies
Dom Pointer - overall progress
« on: March 07, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
putting the fight aside for a moment, i really like how Dom has developed this year.  everything from his free throws, jumper, and even dribbling skills have improved as the season progressed.  he's going to be a special 4 year player for us.

with or without harrison next season, he's a starter for us.

Branch
DLo (or Greene)
Dom
JKS
Sanchez

PS:  He'll also be named Captain next year (IMO)

Re: Dom Pointer - overall progress
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
I agree with this, and don't think that the fight should really be taken into consideration that heavily. He is a 19 year old kid, and in the heat of a game, on the road, emotions can take over. I know when I was 19 I did a lot of things I would look down on today. I think that is the case for most kids.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
Dom will be a great senior.

ras

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
Dom is my favorite player. He has improved the most from last year. He is our glue guy and can do a lot of things.He got 12 rebounds last game . Of course I could have done wo the fight. Emotions are taking over, but these kids have to learn no good can come from fighting, the only thing that comes is a suspention and bad press,not worth it.

desco80

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
Dom will be a great senior.

Totally agree.  Probably a pretty good junior too.   
Can he carry the team?  Not sure about that.   But he took a big step forward this season.   Much more so than the other sophomores.. Garrett, Dangelo, or obviously Phil. 

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
Progress would be punching a Duke player.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I think your right on Moose.

IMO Pointer was a little overrated coming out of HS due to his athleticism and size. I'm sure he was able to dominate HS competition just by those two skills alone. We have seen how he plays against the lower tiered BE schools. 

If I'm remembering correctly wasn't he in the 60 range before the final rankings came out? I think that's more where he should have stayed.

tnice

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Next two years, Lavor Postell-like game/stats at minimum...if he puts on 10 lbs of man muscles and improves his shooting he has Victor Oladipo upside.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »

I wonder,  on average, how many top 50 kids (in HS) a year end up playing in the NBA? 

What is the definition of special?  I would say that Obekpa is special, but Dom is a better all around basketball player.  Tough question to answer. 

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:15:05 PM »

I think your right on Moose.

IMO Pointer was a little overrated coming out of HS due to his athleticism and size. I'm sure he was able to dominate HS competition just by those two skills alone. We have seen how he plays against the lower tiered BE schools. 

If I'm remembering correctly wasn't he in the 60 range before the final rankings came out? I think that's more where he should have stayed.

Agree on being a little overrated, but Postel progression IMO is a fair comparison.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
Overall progress-good but he needs work on his jab.

SJUFAN

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »

No...ratings don't measure a kids level of development. Some max out at a early age. Those are the ones who are labeled as "busts" in college. Some develop slower, maybe they started playing ball late, or just genetics, muscle development wasn't there in High School and were "sleepers". Of all the players' Lavin brought in who were highly rated, I felt Garrett was the one with least upside. He's very athletic, but he's a baseball player, and that will have a huge impact on his development, or lack of. That being said, I think Dom is playing up to his ranking, and believe he will get better.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
i'm going to go out on a limb and say Dom will be our MVP next season.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
dom is a special player. he plays his heart out. sir dom just needs to put that emotion in the correct way.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »
Pointer is an athlete who happens to play basketball, if hes the mvp next season, we are in the CBI. Again

dR3w

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Dom will be about the same player next year, with a little more confidence.  I don't think his handle is going to get light years better or that his jumper will be lights out.  With that said, I like Dom's game in that he is a hustle guy, and just needs to be more intelligent about when he decides to attack or make the high risk pass.  I would think that with the offense not centered around him, that he could just pick and choose his spots.  Sometimes that has worked, and sometimes it has been brick city.  I don't think his offense will ever be more than just average, but I hope that I am wrong.

boo3

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
 Personally I'm impressed how much Dom improved from Fresh to Soph.  Every part of his game.  He even looks semi competent shooting the open three now.  His ball handling has also improved.  If he stays on this trajectory he will be an All BE player senior year.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 05:05:45 PM »

Ha!

Moose

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »

If we are in the bottom 5th now according to Lenn's 'friend' punching a Duke player would plummet us even further.
Remember who broke the Slice news