Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)

• 260 replies
"St. John's is the team to beat," said Charles.

The recruiting race isn't over, according to Charles. But head coach Norm Roberts of the Red Storm has done a tremendous job in forging an early advantage.

"He liked his visit to St. John's and enjoyed talking to Norm Roberts," said Charles
it couldn't hurt with getting Parrom too

Seems like Norm is mending ties with the local programs with 3 of the top of the 09 class mentioning him by name. Cant hurt, go get them NORM!

http://hsnewyork.scout.com/2/767326.html

"St. John's is the team to beat?!"  It's not from Lawrence's mouth though, so more of a grain of salt than you should usually take such reports.

http://hsnewyork.Scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=3816128

Kind of ironic that scout.com doesn't even list us on his schools of interest.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

great news...lets hope we can close the deal and bring Parrom in a package deal.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
I'd think we need Omari and a power forward; but at this stage, if we can get the best (NY) players we can, I'd be pretty psyched.

I'd think we need Omari and a power forward; but at this stage, if we can get the best (NY) players we can, I'd be pretty psyched.

You're right that would leave us a little light on bigs but I think we need a SF (Parrom) more than we need a SG (Lawrence)...Kennedy would be our only true SF on the roster.

The package deal (Omari and Kevin) would give us...

3 PG
3 SG 
2 SF 
3 PF 
2 C   

Really not that imbalanced...and like you said if those 2 NYC kids want to come we need to take them.

You're right that would leave us a little light on bigs but I think we need a SF (Parrom) more than we need a SG (Lawrence)...Kennedy would be our only true SF on the roster.

The package deal (Omari and Kevin) would give us...

3 PG
3 SG 
2 SF 
3 PF 
2 C   

Really not that imbalanced...and like you said if those 2 NYC kids want to come we need to take them.

Omari, Kevin, and Lance should round out the 2009 class. (well find 1 xtra schollie)

gonzalo

http://hsnewyork.scout.com/2/767326.html

"St. John's is the team to beat?!"  It's not from Lawrence's mouth though, so more of a grain of salt than you should usually take such reports.

http://hsnewyork.Scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=3816128

Kind of ironic that scout.com doesn't even list us on his schools of interest.

It has been changed.

Randomhero423

i won't get my hopes up but it's very encouraging.

getting omari would be a MAJOR, MAJOR get for the johnnies.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/07/top-recruit-eyes-red-storm.html

Omari Lawrence, one of the city’s top basketball recruits, doesn’t have a list ranking his college choices, but he says he knows which school is No. 1 right now - St. John’s.

“I believe great things can happen if I go there,” Lawrence said in an interview at his Bronx home on Wednesday night. “We can start winning games, bring back the program and the fans… . It would bring back life into college basketball in the city.”

Lawrence will have surgery next week on his injured shoulder, which he hurt participating in the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp last month and will be out two-to-four months. He plans to hit the court for the IS8 Tournament in the fall.

If Lawrence signs with St. John’s, he would be Norm Roberts’ first elite New York City recruit. Lawrence said Roberts also wants to land Rice’s Durand Scott and Staten Island native and Oak Hill big man Danny Jennings with the program’s three 2009 scholarships.

Lawrence’s signing could help attract top players to Queens - something Roberts has struggled to do since being hired in 2004. The Red Storm made a push to sign Holy Cross star Sylven Landesberg last year, but the McDonald’s All-American chose Virginia over the Johnnies. Landing Lawrence, a Daily News All-City selection, could change St. John’s status as an afterthought among local recruits.

“I’m interested in setting a trend and letting people know it can be done,” said Lawrence, a rising senior who recently transferred from St. Raymond to South Kent (Conn.). “That’s why I want to do it.”

The 6-4, 205-pound combo guard stressed that he would continue to visit schools, such as UConn, Louisville and Florida later this summer and didn’t set a deadline to decide his college plans.

“I believe I am an instant impact player who can come in and help any program immediately,” said Lawrence, who averaged 18 points and five rebounds for St. Raymond last season. “You never know, anything can happen. At the end of the day, St. John’s may not be the perfect spot, but right now it is No. 1.”

(there's more of the article).

And what 3 scholarships?  Uh... okay.  There's only 2.  But that would be a pretty big 3.  Note that Parrom is not listed in that group.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:52:45 AM by peter »

good news...and a verbal would be great news.  The bad news is that he will be visiting schools like Uconn, Louisville, and Florida but those comments do seem promising.

...maybe we never officially offered Stith a schollie? or maybe Lawrence's visit was before Stith committed?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:19:17 AM by jumpinjohnny »

where did the extra schollie come from?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
“I believe great things can happen if I go there,” Lawrence said in an interview at his Bronx home on Wednesday night. “We can start winning games, bring back the program and the fans... It would bring back life into college basketball in the city.”

“I’m interested in setting a trend and letting people know it can be done,”
said Lawrence, a rising senior who recently transferred from St. Raymond to South Kent (Conn.). “That’s why I want to do it.”

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=Omari%20Lawrence&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iv#

I'll believe it when I see it... but it's refreshing to finally see a kid with a pair of balls stand on his own & speak the TRUTH.. 8) .. Stick to your guns Omari & ignore the people "whispering" the same old NONSENSE in your ear about SJU. If we add you, Scott & Jennings to Burrell, Kennedy, Horne, Thomas, Wait, etc.... we got a legit shot at winning the Big East. The rest will take care of itself..  ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:41:30 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Very encouraging words.  I wish he would give a verbal today, but beggers can't be choosers.  I just fear what will ultimately happen when he visits the other schools on the list..

kob24

dont jump the gun yet fellas. he still has a couple of visits. i didnt want any of this to get out because the haters are gonna come out and try their best to change his mind. then they are gonna mess with durand and kevin. so there are a few obstacles that must be over come.and hope norm finds a way to get 3 ships. thats very important for this to happen

Very encouraging words.  I wish he would give a verbal today, but beggers can't be choosers.  I just fear what will ultimately happen when he visits the other schools on the list..
You almost have to hope that the injury and lack of showcasing himself during this summer scares away bigger programs.

If I were U I wouldn't worry to much.  From what I know;  if your school doesn't have Oxtails, Ackee & saltfish, or Jerk chicken within driving distance.  You R at a disadvantage   ;) .  Lets go johnnies!!!
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Omari's an oxtails guy?  Breadfruit for breakfast?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Anyone know if the staff has a scholarship offer out to Durand?  I didn't know he was seriously considering the Storm.

this fan will take any good news we can get...even if it is just positive comments from a top recruit.

With the success that the Glover, Barkley, Artest group had I was really hoping coach could get a group of NYC guys to commit together.  It might be 2 years later than I hoped but at least it sounds like theirs a decent chance.  Better late than never.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:10:16 PM by jumpinjohnny »