Under Armour

• 576 replies
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »
It's not easy being the only St. John's fan who not only loves the name Red Storm, but have always disliked the name Redmen. I always found it to be a dull uninspiring name. Just like Orangemen, Orange, Hoyas, Buckeyes, Hawkeyes, Tribe, Terrapins, Gaels, and Aggies.

« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
I really could couldn't care less what our mascot is.   I think mascots are overrated, and colleges become obsessed over them but they're not that necessary to develop a memorable brand. 
Anybody seen a Yankee or  Knickerbocker walking around recently?   I haven't.
How much of Syracuse's stuff actually has a big orange on it?  Very little.   They're just Syracuse.
Stanford is technically the cardinal, and their logo includes a tree.   They hardly ever refer to it or use it.
My soon to be wife went to Dartmouth, we have sweatshirts and crap all over my apartment and I still can't tell you what the Big Green are. 
A Johnnie could be a person who plays basketball for St Johns, and I'd be fine with that.   A player in a red jersey with a basketball - the end.

Eh, I can agree with you on most schools but Stanford is pretty well known for being a tree because of how unique it is. It was on a Sportscenter commercial maybe a year or 2 ago so it is even more well-known now. Cuse has a surprising amount of merchandise with Otto on it. Otto's head is the top part of winter hats, he is on shirts, he is on fitted hats, and I think he's pretty well-known too.

The Yankees don't have a mascot but it doesn't matter because they are the most successful pro franchise in pro sports history. The Knicks don't have one, but then again professional basketball doesn't seem to emphasize them in nearly the same way college does. Mascots are a big part of college sport culture. The key is to have one that is fairly unique and funny i.e. Western Kentucky's red blob. He got rated the best college mascot a few years ago on ESPN. I agree they aren't everything, but they certainly play a solid role at least for the college students and the brand identity. Otherwise they wouldn't waste thousands for the costume.

Never knew the orange had a name. Otto? That dude from rocket power?

Yes Otto, and yes Rocket Power...not even going to ask how you know about Rocket Power lol...unless you are a twentysomething  ;D

« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
It's not easy being the only St. John's fan who not only loves the name Red Storm, but have always disliked the name Redmen. I always found it to be a dull uninspiring name. Just like Orangemen, Orange, Hoyas, Buckeyes, Hawkeyes, Tribe, Terrapins, Gaels, and Aggies.

I feel the same way but I grew up on Red Storm.

Moose

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
I really could couldn't care less what our mascot is.   I think mascots are overrated, and colleges become obsessed over them but they're not that necessary to develop a memorable brand. 
How much of Syracuse's stuff actually has a big orange on it?  Very little.   They're just Syracuse.
Stanford is technically the cardinal, and their logo includes a tree.   They hardly ever refer to it or use it.
My soon to be wife went to Dartmouth, we have sweatshirts and crap all over my apartment and I still can't tell you what the Big Green are. 
A Johnnie could be a person who plays basketball for St Johns, and I'd be fine with that.   A player in a red jersey with a basketball - the end.

Eh, I can agree with you on most schools but Stanford is pretty well known for being a tree because of how unique it is. It was on a Sportscenter commercial maybe a year or 2 ago so it is even more well-known now. Cuse has a surprising amount of merchandise with Otto on it. Otto's head is the top part of winter hats, he is on shirts, he is on fitted hats, and I think he's pretty well-known too.

The Yankees don't have a mascot but it doesn't matter because they are the most successful pro franchise in pro sports history. The Knicks don't have one, but then again professional basketball doesn't seem to emphasize them in nearly the same way college does. Mascots are a big part of college sport culture. The key is to have one that is fairly unique and funny i.e. Western Kentucky's red blob. He got rated the best college mascot a few years ago on ESPN. I agree they aren't everything, but they certainly play a solid role at least for the college students and the brand identity. Otherwise they wouldn't waste thousands for the costume.

Yes Otto, and yes Rocket Power...not even going to ask how you know about Rocket Power lol...unless you are a twentysomething  ;D

Shocking isn't it Joe
The board isn't full of AARP members ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2013, 09:47:33 PM »

Haha yes I'm a twentysomething. And I always was a twister guy myself.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »

I disagree that Stanford is well known for the tree.   It may have been on a n espn commercial, but technically they don't have a mascot.   They have a logo with a tree, but not a mascot.    Somebody in the band just unofficially dresses up at football games.   

But I do understand your point that having an identifiable mascot makes things easier.  That's true.   But there's no easy answer for St. John's anymore, no red hawk or redfoxes or anything like that.   
Whether they go with storm or johnnies I'm pretty indifferent.  I think both can work if the team is even moderately successful.   We just can't have another decade like we did from '01- '11. 

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »

Shocking isn't it Joe
The board isn't full of AARP members ;)

I assume this Rocket Power came after the New York Dolls?

signed,
A card carrying AARP member

derk

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »

I disagree that Stanford is well known for the tree.   It may have been on a n espn commercial, but technically they don't have a mascot.   They have a logo with a tree, but not a mascot.    Somebody in the band just unofficially dresses up at football games.   

But I do understand your point that having an identifiable mascot makes things easier.  That's true.   But there's no easy answer for St. John's anymore, no red hawk or redfoxes or anything like that.   
Whether they go with storm or johnnies I'm pretty indifferent.  I think both can work if the team is even moderately successful.   We just can't have another decade like we did from '01- '11.

There is, was, and will be only one nickname for this team. It's the one that is a natural. It's the one that rolls off the tongue, and it's the one most people remember. Go Johnnies !

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »

There is, was, and will be only one nickname for this team. It's the one that is a natural. It's the one that rolls off the tongue, and it's the one most people remember. Go Johnnies !

It's not my favorite, but it is the one name that we can never escape. Even in our Redmen days, people casually called us the Johnnies. We are what we are...

redslope

« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

It's not my favorite, but it is the one name that we can never escape. Even in our Redmen days, people casually called us the Johnnies. We are what we are...
Way back in the 1960's the opposition chants included "Flush the Johns"

« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
In the '90's I used to hear a lot of "Blow the Johns . . . Away!"

derk

« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:07 PM »
In the '90's I used to hear a lot of "Blow the Johns . . . Away!"

Never heard any flushing or blowing and I go back to the 60's. Anyway it's Johnnies not Johns. It just rolls off the tongue so nicely.

« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
Sorry quick off topic here, but flushing reminded me...why does our campus list itself as Jamaica...isn't it technically Fresh Meadows?

« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Sorry quick off topic here, but flushing reminded me...why does our campus list itself as Jamaica...isn't it technically Fresh Meadows?

Postal code.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Foad

« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »

And this could be the mascot

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
And we won't even discuss the irony of our Catholic school adopting a nickname that Brits associate with condoms...

« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
Apparently the Nike sale SJ just had in the CA lobby included actual game issued jerseys?! Of course all the goodies they don't sell in the bookstore is sold at a discount when I can't make it  >:(

Moose

« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
Apparently the Nike sale SJ just had in the CA lobby included actual game issued jerseys?! Of course all the goodies they don't sell in the bookstore is sold at a discount when I can't make it  >:(

They are trying to get rid of the team stuff primarily.  They still can sell off Nike stuff at retail but all the team items are rendered useless, hence the sale.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »

They are trying to get rid of the team stuff primarily.  They still can sell off Nike stuff at retail but all the team items are rendered useless, hence the sale.

Do you know what the real jerseys were going for? I feel like even with a sale those things would still be 70 bucks.