Under Armour

• 576 replies
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:40 AM »
they better upgrade their marketing department first.  until they signed us i thought under armour was a company that did paint jobs under cars to prevent deterioration. (really!)

nrb155

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
Oh yea newsman? Did you also think Apple was a fruit distribution company and pagers were the latest in mobile communication?

Lets just hope UA puts out some great gear for us.

MCNPA

« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »
they better upgrade their marketing department first.  until they signed us i thought under armour was a company that did paint jobs under cars to prevent deterioration. (really!)

You joking?  Under armor is everywhere in sports apparel.  I think the under armor athletic apparel is more sought after than Nike stuff. Walk into a sporting goods store, and the under Armour stuff is right there with the Nike and Adidas stuff. Don't remember those "we must protect this house" commercials all the time?  This isn't a company that has been in hiding.

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »

South Carolina is debatable. In basketball we take it and its not like they have been a powerhouse in football. They have a program record of barely over 500.

Were definitely not their 1 or 2 overall, but you can best believe they are going to try to make a splash with our jerseys.

They've finished in the Top 10 in football each of the past 2 seasons.  One SEC game on CBS probably gets more viewers than all of our games combined.

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »

South Carolina is debatable. In basketball we take it and its not like they have been a powerhouse in football. They have a program record of barely over 500.

Were definitely not their 1 or 2 overall, but you can best believe they are going to try to make a splash with our jerseys.

They've finished in the Top 10 in football each of the past 2 seasons.  One SEC game on CBS probably gets more viewers than all of our games combined.

Fair points stj11. I just don't think of them as a big name in either sport. Have had some very recent success in football so that could put us over the top. Maybe UA doesn't look at it that way.

Who else is in the running to be ahead of us? I can't really remember the list of schools I saw, remember temple was one. Which what be another debatable school but think we are ahead of them in terms of national brand.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

Fair points stj11. I just don't think of them as a big name in either sport. Have had some very recent success in football so that could put us over the top. Maybe UA doesn't look at it that way.

Who else is in the running to be ahead of us? I can't really remember the list of schools I saw, remember temple was one. Which what be another debatable school but think we are ahead of them in terms of national brand.

Texas Tech and Northwestern were the others that were debatable in my opinion.  Simply due to them playing football in big-time leagues with moderate success.

Moose

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »

Texas Tech and Northwestern were the others that were debatable in my opinion.  Simply due to them playing football in big-time leagues with moderate success.

All true that Football is more powerful but UA is trying to make serious inroads in bball.  Summer circuit, grassroots, high schools.  So from a bball perspective I think we are right behind obviously Maryland when it comes to the attention they can garner from us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
Even with 40% off those jerseys were still probably at least $70 with tax and all. Don't have that kind of money for a jersey...wish they could make nice ones for $30.

By the way the SJ store website is totally redesigned. Looks pretty cool...wondering if this is part of the transformation of the rebranding. I'm still really curious if SJ is looking into getting a new logo.

Could you give a link joe. Not sure which website your talking about. Thanks

redstormsports.cbscollegestore.com

I think this is the website he is talking about. Looks great to me, finally expanding on their memorabilia inventory.

Yes that's the site I meant. Don't know what you meant by noticing an expanded memorabilia inventory...they haven't added anything new for months. All I noticed was the new style of the page. And the throwback jersey idea is awesome. I thought this should have been done years ago. I really hope UA will offer an authentic game-issue version of the jerseys to buy. Anyone hear about logo changes?

I haven't looked.  How many schools sell game issued jerseys?

Well if not game-issue then "authentic" ones at least with stitching and all. I know Cuse, UConn, G'Town have done it. You can buy essentially real jerseys from UNC, Duke, Cuse, UConn, G'Town, Nova, etc. The only authentic jersey I know of out there is the 1985 Chris Mullin throwback from Nike and that's $150. Other than that the only people making near authentic ones are knock-off shady chinese places. I saw someone post a picture of a SJ jersey on Eastbay a few days ago. You would never see that today. Clearly our marketing and jerseys took a step backwards since Air Jordan. I would have liked us to get back with Air Jordan over UA but I'm also excited to see what UA can do for us being their clear #2 flagship school.

We're at most their #4 school, possibly 5 or 6.

100% false. This is not about football. This is about basketball only. SJ is easily the #2 best basketball team they have signed. Not even close. Maryland is the only clear better team. Boston College and South Carolina suck.

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
Even with 40% off those jerseys were still probably at least $70 with tax and all. Don't have that kind of money for a jersey...wish they could make nice ones for $30.

By the way the SJ store website is totally redesigned. Looks pretty cool...wondering if this is part of the transformation of the rebranding. I'm still really curious if SJ is looking into getting a new logo.

I think this is the website he is talking about. Looks great to me, finally expanding on their memorabilia inventory.

Yes that's the site I meant. Don't know what you meant by noticing an expanded memorabilia inventory...they haven't added anything new for months. All I noticed was the new style of the page. And the throwback jersey idea is awesome. I thought this should have been done years ago. I really hope UA will offer an authentic game-issue version of the jerseys to buy. Anyone hear about logo changes?

Well if not game-issue then "authentic" ones at least with stitching and all. I know Cuse, UConn, G'Town have done it. You can buy essentially real jerseys from UNC, Duke, Cuse, UConn, G'Town, Nova, etc. The only authentic jersey I know of out there is the 1985 Chris Mullin throwback from Nike and that's $150. Other than that the only people making near authentic ones are knock-off shady chinese places. I saw someone post a picture of a SJ jersey on Eastbay a few days ago. You would never see that today. Clearly our marketing and jerseys took a step backwards since Air Jordan. I would have liked us to get back with Air Jordan over UA but I'm also excited to see what UA can do for us being their clear #2 flagship school.

100% false. This is not about football. This is about basketball only. SJ is easily the #2 best basketball team they have signed. Not even close. Maryland is the only clear better team. Boston College and South Carolina suck.

You said flagship school, not basketball team.  In terms of basketball, yes I agree with you.  In terms of overall athletic programs, it's not even close.

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »

You said flagship school, not basketball team.  In terms of basketball, yes I agree with you.  In terms of overall athletic programs, it's not even close.

Then yes, clearly if you include football then things change significantly. But what sense does it make talking about UA football when we don't even have a team? It's a moot point IMO when we are clearly a basketball centric school. In terms of basketball we are the clear #2 and we are arguably the more dangerous team going into this season with more potential. I think SJ athletics overall are much better than you think they are. We are clearly a basketball school but our women's team made the sweet 16 last year, our soccer team is always among the top 25-30, our baseball team has long been among the best in the Big East barely missing the CWS last year, our lax team has been tremendous being in the top 25 the past 2 years and knocking off top 5 opponents including the #1 ND. Yes South Carolina is the clear better baseball and football school but we are better at lax, soccer, and women's hoops.

Temple lost nearly everyone and they are our closest competition IMO for #2 basketball school for UA. We should be the clear better team this year and may even beat out Maryland as the most relevant UA basketball team if all goes according to plan.

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
I agree that we are currently probably 4th on their ladder but we have the HIGHEST potential because of the market that we are in.  Under Armour should be investing well in our growth.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
I agree that we are currently probably 4th on their ladder but we have the HIGHEST potential because of the market that we are in.  Under Armour should be investing well in our growth.

Who else is clearly above us other than Maryland for UA basketball? Did South Carolina and Northwestern get a few top 50 recruits overnight that I missed or something?

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »

Who else is clearly above us other than Maryland for UA basketball? Did South Carolina and Northwestern get a few top 50 recruits overnight that I missed or something?

Nobody said anything about Northwestern. But I am speaking athletics overall.  Football schools already have a bigger footprint than St. John's does.  As I said though, we have the most potential or more room to grow than any school UA has because of the market that we are in.  That's a good thing.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2013, 10:09:25 AM »

Agreed. Marketing people see the value in St. John's and NYC. 

« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »

Been under a rock?

« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
i guess so.  i'll admit i never go shopping for clothes.  my wife dresses me.

« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »

Nobody said anything about Northwestern. But I am speaking athletics overall.  Football schools already have a bigger footprint than St. John's does.  As I said though, we have the most potential or more room to grow than any school UA has because of the market that we are in.  That's a good thing.

Pretty sure football or not we have a bigger national footprint than Northwestern. I would put money on that. I hypothesize that someone could do a random guy on the street interview in all the states and more will recognize SJ than Northwestern. Remember we get 50,000 applications increasingly from further away too. Slowly but surely we are becoming known as a basetball school that can appeal to out of state students. People know St. John's because they know the Big East. Anyway, I don't want to talk about NCAAF...it's useless on a SJ forum when we are a clear cut basketball school. Might as well talk about fencing.

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Just leaked...this is the front runner so far as a UA prototype.

Moose

« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
Is this Joe's favorite thread?
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
Just leaked...this is the front runner so far as a UA prototype.

Please tell me this is a joke? What is that? An apron?