Under Armour

• 576 replies
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
Someone grow a pair and return us to Redmen!

Johnnies is a horrible idea.

They is a certain irony at play here.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

LJSA

« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »
I can't believe how many posters have no problem with the way the St. John's Johnnies sounds. It makes me want to vomit blood.

It's fine if Bill Raftery want to call us that during games, but to make it the official name is ridiculous.

paultzman

« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
I can't believe how many posters have no problem with the way the St. John's Johnnies sounds. It makes me want to vomit blood.

It's fine if Bill Raftery want to call us that during games, but to make it the official name is ridiculous.

Doc Holiday? Donate blood instead. Lol

« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »

Lav has called us the Johnnies since his initial press conference.  Can't recall him ever referring to his team as anything else.

« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
more glimpses of some UA design updates

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1045006_450787791684885_733080458_n.jpg

Looks like a nice jacket. Anyone know if we should expect a big unveil on July 1?

Moose

« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »
Lav has called us the Johnnies since his initial press conference.  Can't recall him ever referring to his team as anything else.

So that means we need to make the change official? It's a dumb name.

« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »
@QSTJHoops 3m
St. John's sent out an email to all students this afternoon notifying of a graphic branding change to appear on the website tmrw. #stjbb

« Reply #308 on: June 26, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »

Not what I said.  Just presenting a fact

LJSA

« Reply #309 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »

Not what I said. Just presenting a fact

Does he call us the St. John's Johnnies every time, or just the Johnnies?

Moose

« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »

I'm really not a fan of it mostly based on what people have said.  The constantly changing.  The repetitiveness.  But also look at Gonzaga.  They are the Zags.  Its great to have a secondary name like Johnnies.  But should have just left Red Storm and made a bigger push on the secondary name.

LJSA

« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
As a secondary name it's fine. It rolls off the tongue, everyone knows who you are talking about, etc.

But as far as rebranding, I would have done the Syracuse thing no question.

desco80

« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »
I want to wait and see what they use for a logo, and how it's presented. 
That will have a lot to do with how people perceive the new nickname.

On the face of it though I think Jonnies is fine, it's certainly better than Redstorm, but LJSA brings up some good points. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:49:34 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #313 on: June 26, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
just think of it like this. 

"New York, New York, a city so nice, they named it twice."

"Johnnies of St. John's" is 100x better than Red Storm. I've always referred to them as the Johnnies.

« Reply #314 on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »

I am 100% with you on this.  As a secondary nickname, referring to us as the Johnnies is ok.  i do it.  But as the official name The St. John's Johnnies sounds so stupid.  I hate it.

paultzman

« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2013, 06:26:50 PM »
“@DMartinCSN: Also among those at Under Armour Undeniable Grindsession this weekend in LA will be St. John's Jamal Branch and Sir'Dominic Pointer. #stjbb”

boo3

« Reply #316 on: June 26, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
 They will be called the Johnnies of St. John's.. No one will say St. John's Johnnies... Believe me. I'm all for it..

The Red Storm name has been pretty much bad luck since it began.. I like the fresh start. 

« Reply #317 on: June 26, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
full roster.  Whitehead will be there too.

hopefully they're on the same flight   ;) :up: :angel:

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/maryland-commits-romelo-trimble-jared-nickens-ua-camp

« Reply #318 on: June 26, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »

I'm really not a fan of it mostly based on what people have said.  The constantly changing.  The repetitiveness.  But also look at Gonzaga.  They are the Zags.  Its great to have a secondary name like Johnnies.  But should have just left Red Storm and made a bigger push on the secondary name.

Gonzaga are the Bulldogs, the Zags is a standalone nickname, as the term Johnnies should be. 

Moose

« Reply #319 on: June 26, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »

Gonzaga are the Bulldogs, the Zags is a standalone nickname, as the term Johnnies should be. 

Uh that was my point.