Under Armour

• 576 replies

MCNPA

Re: Under Armour
« Reply #320 on: June 26, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
What they really should have done was listen to all the fans, history and everything else and go back to Redmen, or Red Men without a Native mascot.  Johnnies as a secondary name.  That is what the fans want.  I don't know why that is so difficult to go back to, when it was never Native American in origin to begin with.  The University could have out out some press as to the origin of the Redmen name and assertion that there is no link to Native American denigration in it's original intended origin.   

The Johnnies is fair, but the fans, alums and everybody else want the Redmen back.  That is our name...  It starts and ends there..

paultzman

« Reply #321 on: June 26, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
The idea of rebranding athletics was thrown in after the process had begun for the University’s academic side. Because of that, there is no possibility of any changes being ready for the fall semester – even the current interlocking STJ athletics logo. But both Sammartino and vice president of external relations Dominic Scianna said that a rollout of new athletic features could be ready as soon as early 2014.
“The problem with athletics is that the uniforms are being made now,” Sammartino said. “There’s no way we can play catch-up. If everything goes well, we may be able to pull something off maybe after January. All may not be lost for a rollout this year, but it’s definitely in the process.”
Scianna said that the start of the new Big East conference gave the University a reason to hold off for a little while longer on the athletics side.
“It’s late in the game certainly to kind of change branding,” he said. “That was the impetus to wait on this and get it in a neat kind of bundle once the season rolls on and possibly earlier [next year].

“@Kieran_Lynch: Survey will be sent out regarding athletics branding possibly by next Monday to all St. John's community. #stjbb http://www.torchonline.com/news/2013/06/26/university-set-to-launch-new-brand/

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #322 on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »
Who ever thought that SJU ;D would be making headlines in June...

A lot of new traditional things happening.
New Big East, back to traditional BB roots
New initials back to traditional SJU
Redmen would be icing on the cake

Old is new again and hopefully that means we bring back our winning tradition!
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #323 on: June 26, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
We could always drop our "official" nickname and just be St. John's. Johnnies can be our unofficial nickname...that's how Redmen started.
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #324 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
Anyone who thinks Redmen are coming back needs to puff and pass or put the pipe down.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
Does anyone think Red Storm is better than Johnnies?  I'm shocked at the reaction by some posters.  "SJU Johnnies" is exactly where this needs to go

« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »
Lav has called us the Johnnies since his initial press conference.  Can't recall him ever referring to his team as anything else.

So that means we need to make the change official? It's a dumb name.

Not what I said. Just presenting a fact

Does he call us the St. John's Johnnies every time, or just the Johnnies?

I'm really not a fan of it mostly based on what people have said.  The constantly changing.  The repetitiveness.  But also look at Gonzaga.  They are the Zags.  Its great to have a secondary name like Johnnies.  But should have just left Red Storm and made a bigger push on the secondary name.

Gonzaga are the Bulldogs, the Zags is a standalone nickname, as the term Johnnies should be. 

Uh that was my point.

Well, now that I actually read your post, yes it was.  I am so predisposed to hating the term Red Storm that I take every post to be the statement of a new name.  Sorry.

« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
The idea of rebranding athletics was thrown in after the process had begun for the University’s academic side. Because of that, there is no possibility of any changes being ready for the fall semester – even the current interlocking STJ athletics logo. But both Sammartino and vice president of external relations Dominic Scianna said that a rollout of new athletic features could be ready as soon as early 2014.
“The problem with athletics is that the uniforms are being made now,” Sammartino said. “There’s no way we can play catch-up. If everything goes well, we may be able to pull something off maybe after January. All may not be lost for a rollout this year, but it’s definitely in the process.”
Scianna said that the start of the new Big East conference gave the University a reason to hold off for a little while longer on the athletics side.
“It’s late in the game certainly to kind of change branding,” he said. “That was the impetus to wait on this and get it in a neat kind of bundle once the season rolls on and possibly earlier [next year].

“@Kieran_Lynch: Survey will be sent out regarding athletics branding possibly by next Monday to all St. John's community. #stjbb http://www.torchonline.com/news/2013/06/26/university-set-to-launch-new-brand/

This is the rollout strategy huh?  Shockingly bad, but emblematic of the marketing of the last decade.  Typical SJU, I mean STJ I mean Redmen, I mean Red Storm I mean whatever the F we are in the fall, or winter or 2014

Moose

« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »

This is the rollout strategy huh?  Shockingly bad, but emblematic of the marketing of the last decade.  Typical SJU, I mean STJ I mean Redmen, I mean Red Storm I mean whatever the F we are in the fall, or winter or 2014

Little disappointing to hear how long the roll-out would take.  I know I've done overhauls in a lot less time.  I knew the summer was no hope but I figured start of bball they would have something. Maybe fall sports got stuck with old marks.  Disappointed but not surprised since we know how things go or don't go most of the time on Union and Utopia.

I know Joe is anxious looks like he's going to need to take deep breaths waiting for this.

« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »

Little disappointing to hear how long the roll-out would take.  I know I've done overhauls in a lot less time.  I knew the summer was no hope but I figured start of bball they would have something. Maybe fall sports got stuck with old marks.  Disappointed but not surprised since we know how things go or don't go most of the time on Union and Utopia.

I know Joe is anxious looks like he's going to need to take deep breaths waiting for this.
[/quote]

They say the roll out takes long. But has the contract with UA been signed? I know its all but done, but still. Working without a contract? Just saying find it weird.

« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather the changes be here for this basketball season but I suppose it's better to take their time and get things right than to hastily throw together some uniforms and an athletics logo and have to change it again in 8 years.

Moose

« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Roll-outs take time yes but honestly things can get done in as little as 90 days provided people are diligent about approvals and vetting designs thru the chain of command.  The contract starts July 1st. 

Moose

« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather the changes be here for this basketball season but I suppose it's better to take their time and get things right than to hastily throw together some uniforms and an athletics logo and have to change it again in 8 years.

If thats the case lets think long and hard about the nickname because that could be looked at again.  If anything that might be rushed.  I'd be fine if UA just re-did our uni's from this past year like the leaked picture showed and we ran with that for the season.

« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
Wile these things take time, sometimes it's important to get the ball rolling prior to July 31st...

It doesn't make any sense to have a patient, well planned, coherent, citywide, campus-wide launch for both Academics and Athletics.  Why take advantage of the globally recognized men's basketball program when you can send out a Wednesday afternoon email to students on summer break?  After all, uniforms are already being made for the women's cross country program!  Besides, apparel and marketing deals that bring unprecedented exposure to the 13-40yr old spending power demo isn't the time to be proactive with a strategy.  We did, after all, have the SJU trademark prior to letting it go.  You know, we voted for it before voting against it. 

« Reply #334 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
I am a big fan of SJU, the new logos, moving away from black and bringing back the blue. But, please keep Redstorm and Johnny Thunderbird as the mascot.

in 2011 I used to love hearing the Redhot Redstorm!!!

« Reply #335 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »
Does anyone think Red Storm is better than Johnnies?  I'm shocked at the reaction by some posters.  "SJU Johnnies" is exactly where this needs to go

I don't like Red Storm but prefer it to Johnnies.  SJU Johnnies is atrocious.  Johnnies is fine as an informal nickname...but wow please no SJU Johnnies.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

nrb155

« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »
Um is it just me or are these two logos not very similar to one another.... so much for distinction

« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:22 PM »
St. Joe's is probably pretty upset about this.  The font on our new University logo is nearly identical to theirs.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:44:10 PM by STJ11Redmen »

desco80

« Reply #338 on: June 26, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »
I see blue.... I like it!    Hopefully it makes it's way back into our logo/uniforms.   Blue is the new black.    It's all the rage these days

« Reply #339 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »
Has anybody confirmed " Johnnies " as our new name??? or are they just going to market Red Storm and Johnnies?? I would just prefer SJU Red
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:52:12 PM by erickthered »