Under Armour

• 576 replies

paultzman

Re: Under Armour
« Reply #340 on: June 27, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Dave on the job;

“@TheBBallDiary: Under Armour LA Undeniable Grind Session event INFO + participant ROSTER http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2013/06/2013-under-armour-los-angeles.html

@UAassociation @UAbasketball @DaveKrupinski”

« Reply #341 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »
The idea of rebranding athletics was thrown in after the process had begun for the University’s academic side. Because of that, there is no possibility of any changes being ready for the fall semester – even the current interlocking STJ athletics logo. But both Sammartino and vice president of external relations Dominic Scianna said that a rollout of new athletic features could be ready as soon as early 2014.
“The problem with athletics is that the uniforms are being made now,” Sammartino said. “There’s no way we can play catch-up. If everything goes well, we may be able to pull something off maybe after January. All may not be lost for a rollout this year, but it’s definitely in the process.”
Scianna said that the start of the new Big East conference gave the University a reason to hold off for a little while longer on the athletics side.
“It’s late in the game certainly to kind of change branding,” he said. “That was the impetus to wait on this and get it in a neat kind of bundle once the season rolls on and possibly earlier [next year].

“@Kieran_Lynch: Survey will be sent out regarding athletics branding possibly by next Monday to all St. John's community. #stjbb http://www.torchonline.com/news/2013/06/26/university-set-to-launch-new-brand/

This is the rollout strategy huh?  Shockingly bad, but emblematic of the marketing of the last decade.  Typical SJU, I mean STJ I mean Redmen, I mean Red Storm I mean whatever the F we are in the fall, or winter or 2014

Little disappointing to hear how long the roll-out would take.  I know I've done overhauls in a lot less time.  I knew the summer was no hope but I figured start of bball they would have something. Maybe fall sports got stuck with old marks.  Disappointed but not surprised since we know how things go or don't go most of the time on Union and Utopia.

I know Joe is anxious looks like he's going to need to take deep breaths waiting for this.
I'm just glad UA finally connected with both of my teams in red.  Things are looking up big time.  I go off the grid and bam, it happens.  I've been waiting for this  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #342 on: June 27, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
Anyone who thinks Redmen are coming back needs to puff and pass or put the pipe down.

I know it probably won't, but I just don't see the rationale of avoiding it? Just reinvent or "re-brand" it without insulting anybody.  We were the Redmen because we had red uniforms... Period.  Just avoid any Native American references and I really don't see why it shouldn't or can't be done.  Once again, it is the only name that gets near consensus from fans and alums.  It is the name that every SJU person wants. 

The University goes through all types of contortions and great pains to feed us names and mascots we don't want.  We had the right name, but decided to hide it like a dirty secret instead of just dropping the Indian mascot.  Everybody wants the Redmen.

« Reply #343 on: June 27, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
Losing the Redmen name is another blow inflicted by Father Harrington. This was one of the many errors in judment he made, and he ultimately paid for them.

« Reply #344 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:09 PM »
Anyone who thinks Redmen are coming back needs to puff and pass or put the pipe down.
So I guess what you are saying is that ship has sailed.  :) ;)

Moose

« Reply #345 on: June 27, 2013, 11:52:49 PM »
So I guess what you are saying is that ship has sailed.  :) ;)

Yea and if things change 2 months or 2 yrs from now feel free to call me out on it
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #346 on: June 28, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
I have been trying to bring back Redmen in the form of our student section. I would like four our student section currently known as "The Redzone" to be known as the "RedZone Redmen" similar to the "Cameron Crazies"

This is the only way Redmen will ever come back.

sju89tr

« Reply #347 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
WE should have never given up the nickname, I don't really recall the Native American community hammering us. Getting rid of the Indian logo should have sufficed 

uwsfan

« Reply #348 on: June 28, 2013, 06:45:43 PM »
Redmen not coming back. The association with Native American mascot, which essentially made it a quasi-slur ruined it. Never should have happened but it did, now its tainted and cant go back to the way it was before the unfortunate  Native American association.

The closest realistic thing would be going the rout Syracuse did and adopting "Red" as the name.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:48:01 PM by uwsfan »

MCNPA

« Reply #349 on: June 28, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »
Redmen not coming back. The association with Native American mascot, which essentially made it a quasi-slur ruined it. Never should have happened but it did, now its tainted and cant go back to the way it was before the unfortunate  Native American association.

The closest realistic thing would be going the rout Syracuse did and adopting "Red" as the name.

I like the St. John's "Red". Simple.

« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2013, 02:22:04 AM »
I have been trying to bring back Redmen in the form of our student section. I would like four our student section currently known as "The Redzone" to be known as the "RedZone Redmen" similar to the "Cameron Crazies"

This is the only way Redmen will ever come back.

I have a feeling Johnny Jungle will be protecting the house in the student section ;)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »
No offense but St. John's "Red" sounds awful. I'd much rather keep Red Storm, or change to Johnnies than become the Red.

ras

« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
I used to hate the name Redstorm and really missed Redmen. The problem w Redstorm is it is associated w loosing. Winning will change that perception. Look at the name Crimson Tide, no better than redstorm, but Alabama is great in FB and the name is synonomous w winning. I like Reds better than Red.

« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »
I guess I don't mind Red Storm because I wasn't a fan when they were the Redmen. I don't hate Johnnies, but I would prefer to just stick with Redstorm.

Mostly because I don't want to have to change my username  ;)

SJUFAN

« Reply #354 on: June 29, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
Redmen....Red Storm....Johnnies...It doesn't matter. We are St. John's!!!! Most people refer to the college teams by the name of the school, not the nick name. Since there is no way we go back to the Redmen, I'm fine with Red Storm or Johnnies. I wonder were the idea of rebranding is coming from, Lavin or Under Armour?

« Reply #355 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
"@STJCoachLavin: Great archived #stjbb pic of Coach Carnesecca & the boys celebrate'n a Johnnies W! Luv the red & navy uni's. http://t.co/X9XEL6L7wF"

Maybe Lavs should've added a ;-) at the end of that.

Moose

« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
Redmen....Red Storm....Johnnies...It doesn't matter. We are St. John's!!!! Most people refer to the college teams by the name of the school, not the nick name. Since there is no way we go back to the Redmen, I'm fine with Red Storm or Johnnies. I wonder were the idea of rebranding is coming from, Lavin or Under Armour?

Lav is very instrumental in the changes.  But a lot is coming from university overall
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
Jamal is embracing:

"My addiction, best drink EVER! Headed to LA! Hoping for non disturbing seat mates but I always have bad luck when flying!  #teamunderamour"

desco80

« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
"@STJCoachLavin: Great archived #stjbb pic of Coach Carnesecca & the boys celebrate'n a Johnnies W! Luv the red & navy uni's. http://t.co/X9XEL6L7wF"

Absolutely awesome that we're getting rid of black and bringing back the navy.  Can't say it enough

« Reply #359 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »

Absolutely awesome that we're getting rid of black and bringing back the navy.  Can't say it enough

+100
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.