Fr. Harrington Retires

• 46 replies

TONYD3

Re: Fr. Harrington Retires
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »
He made the school look nicer. I payed 11,000 fixed rate graduated in 2000. I think it has tripled in price since then

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if accomplishments excused screw-ups.  I was at Penn State Thursday for a Bob Seger concert and there wasn't a trace of homage devoted to Joe Paterno despite all the wonderful things he accomplished.  The fact is that Harrington went down for what went down and that's the way it should be.  The same could be said about various people who messed up ie., Clinton etc. in positions of power.  He was a man of the cloth and what he did was a disgrace.  Another black mark for what should be a great university.  When does this crap stop?  A lot of attention should be paid to preventing similar occurences in the future.  Time for SJU to get it's act together henceforth and permanently.  I hope they proceed carefully and send Harrington to oblivion which he richly deserves.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if accomplishments excused screw-ups.  I was at Penn State Thursday for a Bob Seger concert and there wasn't a trace of homage devoted to Joe Paterno despite all the wonderful things he accomplished.  The fact is that Harrington went down for what went down and that's the way it should be.  The same could be said about various people who messed up ie., Clinton etc. in positions of power.  He was a man of the cloth and what he did was a disgrace.  Another black mark for what should be a great university.  When does this crap stop?  A lot of attention should be paid to preventing similar occurences in the future.  Time for SJU to get it's act together henceforth and permanently.  I hope they proceed carefully and send Harrington to oblivion which he richly deserves.

Clinton messed up? Huh? When using examples of corrupt people, you should use corrupt people.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:57:15 PM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

Clinton messed up? Huh? When using examples of corrupt people, you should use corrupt people.

um... he was/is a politician... corruption is a prerequisite..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:35:25 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
how was Bob Seger?

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »

He did mess up. Not only did he cheat on his wife (while he was president) but also lied about it to the nation.

I agree with the original point about him being remembered for his mistakes though. He has really improved the University a lot, through expanded facilities, new majors and opportunities and making the school a generally more complete and open place. It is unfortunate he made such a glaring mistake that will, in the end, define him.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »
Replace Clinton with Obama and perfect analogy.

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
how was Bob Seger?
He was fantastic.  Great band and terrific songs.   Even sang "Like a Rock" for the first time in decades according to him.  Absolutely brought the house down.   Might be his last tour so try to catch him.  Well worth it.  Now we have the Eagles at Bethel Woods on 7/25 and Skynrd/Bad Company on 7/27.  Good year for concerts.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »

He did mess up. Not only did he cheat on his wife (while he was president) but also lied about it to the nation.

I agree with the original point about him being remembered for his mistakes though. He has really improved the University a lot, through expanded facilities, new majors and opportunities and making the school a generally more complete and open place. It is unfortunate he made such a glaring mistake that will, in the end, define him.

He wasn't corrupt at his job. Just at his marriage, which is none of our business.

We don't know the extent of what Harrington did, but we are led to believe that it probably involved corruption/stealing.

boo3

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
how was Bob Seger?
He was fantastic.  Great band and terrific songs.   Even sang "Like a Rock" for the first time in decades according to him.  Absolutely brought the house down.   Might be his last tour so try to catch him.  Well worth it.  Now we have the Eagles at Bethel Woods on 7/25 and Skynrd/Bad Company on 7/27.  Good year for concerts.

Bethel Woods is the best outdoor concert in the area, bar none..

Foad

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
He wasn't corrupt at his job. Just at his marriage, which is none of our business.

Clinton was sanctioned and fined by a federal court for "engaging in misconduct that undermines the integrity of the judicial system." He relinquished his law license in Arkansas and was disbarred by the US Supreme Court. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/01/national/01WIRE-CLIN.html. Evidently it was somebody's business.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »

Clinton was sanctioned and fined by a federal court for "engaging in misconduct that undermines the integrity of the judicial system." He relinquished his law license in Arkansas and was disbarred by the US Supreme Court. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/01/national/01WIRE-CLIN.html. Evidently it was somebody's business.

Great at his job. Maybe not so much his marriage. Better this way, than the other way around. Don't you agree?

redslope

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »

At least he did not get us into the longest war this country has been involved in with lies about the status of Iraq and did not leave our economy in the crapper.  I prefer a president who lies about sex rather than national security issues.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »

At least he did not get us into the longest war this country has been involved in with lies about the status of Iraq and did not leave our economy in the crapper.  I prefer a president who lies about sex rather than national security issues.

But, he is a good husband.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
Great at his job. Maybe not so much his marriage. Better this way, than the other way around. Don't you agree?

I disagree that he was great as his job. I agree that he was "maybe not so much [great] at marriage," in the same way that Oprah is maybe not so much great at dieting. I agree generally that it does less harm to the commonweal when public servants are corrupt in their public lives than in their private ones. I disagree that Clinton was not corrupt in his public life.

desco80

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
In Clinton's case you could argue the coverup was worse than what he was accused of doing.    I'm not so sure that's true in Fr H's situation.   

Foad

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »

That might be a salient point if GW Bush were under discussion. He isn't, so it's not.

Clinton, the nation's chief law enforcement officer, was sanctioned for perjury. Perjury is by definition public corruption. Therefore Clinton was publicly corrupt. RIL.

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:07 PM »

That might be a salient point if GW Bush were under discussion. He isn't, so it's not.

Clinton, the nation's chief law enforcement officer, was sanctioned for perjury. Perjury is by definition public corruption. Therefore Clinton was publicly corrupt. RIL.

Since it’s the group that decides the subject matter I believe there is a point when comparing Clinton vs. GWB. One is a man’s indiscretion with another woman which should not have even lead to questions to the point where he would be put in position to perjury himself, imo. I understand there are moral issues, but let’s not pretend that many politicians cheat on their wives. The fact that his was brought to the public is curious to say the least. What was he supposed to say? He’s a politician for Christ sake.
The other however, lies lead to a war where thousands of men, women, and children lost their lives. Let’s not forget the financial collapse that almost bankrupted this country just so his friends could have a few billion dollars instead of a measly couple hundred million. Yet Clinton is the corrupt one because he was found guilty. I guess OJ was a victim because he was found not guilty. Poor OJ, all the stuff he had to indoor and he was actually innocent! Maybe Clinton was "publicly corrupt", but really, which one is worst? Clinton's lies or GWB?

Foad

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »
Since it’s the group that decides the subject matter I believe there is a point when comparing Clinton vs. GWB. One is a man’s indiscretion with another woman which should not have even lead to questions to the point where he would be put in position to perjury himself, imo. I understand there are moral issues, but let’s not pretend that many politicians cheat on their wives. The fact that his was brought to the public is curious to say the least. What was he supposed to say? He’s a politician for Christ sake.

The other however, lies lead to a war where thousands of men, women, and children lost their lives. Let’s not forget the financial collapse that almost bankrupted this country just so his friends could have a few billion dollars instead of a measly couple hundred million. Yet Clinton is the corrupt one because he was found guilty. I guess OJ was a victim because he was found not guilty. Poor OJ, all the stuff he had to indoor and he was actually innocent! Maybe Clinton was "publicly corrupt", but really, which one is worst? Clinton's lies or GWB?

Well I disagree. Besides being the last Whig president Millard Filmore signed into law the Fugitive Slave Act, which returned runaway slaves to their masters. Which was worse, slavery or the Korean War?`Besides which Filmore was unable to stop the invasion of Cuba and then later apologized to Cuba for the invasion. I suppose because Cuba was invaded in the 1850s that is precedent for the US invasion of Cuba and makes the Bay of Pigs fiasco okay? John Kennedy invaded Cuba and cheated on his wife with Marilyn Monroe while taking daily injections of amphetamines and he never apologized for getting any bush whatsoever or for Cuba and Obama apologized to whole world and I can't even get a good cigar anymore because of that stupid embargo. I say neither is public business. The fact is that Zachary Taylor wasn't all he was cracked up to be and if Filmore murdered him that doesn't prove OJ is guilty and it doesn't mean John Wayne Gacy was innocent either, even though he wore a hairpiece.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:19 PM »
Is there a political section to wine over who was the liar or who was more corrupt...    Father Harrington turn St. John's into a beautiful "adult"  campus where you feel like your going to a real college instead of the 13th grade.

The issue is that he sacraficed the soul of the school to do it. The Change to Redmen to Redstorm really divided the school and then letting the basketball team rot, broke the major thing that united the school. The multiculturalism push instead of school spirit (We are St. John's) further hurt St. John's.

In the Father Harrington's legacy will take some time to decipher, but I think he will have a Benadict Arnold type legacy. If Arnold would have died before at the battle Saratoga he would have been viewed as a great American hero. If Father Harrington would left 5-10years ago he would have been viewed as a visionary.
Cougar O' Malley