Fr. Harrington Retires

• 46 replies
Re: Fr. Harrington Retires
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
He wasn't corrupt at his job. Just at his marriage, which is none of our business.

Clinton was sanctioned and fined by a federal court for "engaging in misconduct that undermines the integrity of the judicial system." He relinquished his law license in Arkansas and was disbarred by the US Supreme Court. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/01/national/01WIRE-CLIN.html. Evidently it was somebody's business.

At least he did not get us into the longest war this country has been involved in with lies about the status of Iraq and did not leave our economy in the crapper.  I prefer a president who lies about sex rather than national security issues.

That might be a salient point if GW Bush were under discussion. He isn't, so it's not.

Clinton, the nation's chief law enforcement officer, was sanctioned for perjury. Perjury is by definition public corruption. Therefore Clinton was publicly corrupt. RIL.

Since it’s the group that decides the subject matter I believe there is a point when comparing Clinton vs. GWB. One is a man’s indiscretion with another woman which should not have even lead to questions to the point where he would be put in position to perjury himself, imo. I understand there are moral issues, but let’s not pretend that many politicians cheat on their wives. The fact that his was brought to the public is curious to say the least. What was he supposed to say? He’s a politician for Christ sake.
The other however, lies lead to a war where thousands of men, women, and children lost their lives. Let’s not forget the financial collapse that almost bankrupted this country just so his friends could have a few billion dollars instead of a measly couple hundred million. Yet Clinton is the corrupt one because he was found guilty. I guess OJ was a victim because he was found not guilty. Poor OJ, all the stuff he had to indoor and he was actually innocent! Maybe Clinton was "publicly corrupt", but really, which one is worst? Clinton's lies or GWB?

I don't really want to get into this discussion, but if you actually think that George W. Bush was responsible for the economic collapse of the mid-late 2000's then you are unbelievably ignorant of how the economic and political system of this country works. It's just ludicrous to ever claim that he caused that. And if I could add real quick, just so I don't get some "Bush lover" accusations, I can't stand the dude.

I also don't get your logic as far as Clinton goes. It gets brought to the public so he's supposed to tell the truth. Do you hold politicians to a different standard, expecting them to lie to you? Regardless of whether or not he should have been in that situation, he was, and he failed in it.

People in positions of authority are held to different standards, that's just the way it is. It's why Fr. Harrington is in such a tough spot right now. When people look up to you, and have to listen to what you say, you better be on your best behavior. And as President, your private life is now your public life, and you should be held accountable for anything and everything that you do.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:50:16 PM by survivedc »

SJUFAN

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
I don't really want to get into this discussion, but if you actually think that George W. Bush was responsible for the economic collapse of the mid-late 2000's then you are unbelievably ignorant of how the economic and political system of this country works. It's just ludicrous to ever claim that he caused that. And if I could add real quick, just so I don't get some "Bush lover" accusations, I can't stand the dude.

I also don't get your logic as far as Clinton goes. It gets brought to the public so he's supposed to tell the truth. Do you hold politicians to a different standard, expecting them to lie to you? Regardless of whether or not he should have been in that situation, he was, and he failed in it.

People in positions of authority are held to different standards, that's just the way it is. It's why Fr. Harrington is in such a tough spot right now. When people look up to you, and have to listen to what you say, you better be on your best behavior. And as President, your private life is now your public life, and you should be held accountable for anything and everything that you do.

Didn't say Bush was responsible for the collapse, but he was responsible for the bail out and a war, both of which were based on lies. People profited greatly from those lies. As far as Clinton goes, if a bunch of guys are out fooling around on their wives, why is only one of them being chastised for it when you know others are involved? It's the hypocrisy, they don't really care what Clinton was doing, all they cared about was throwing him under the bus and they did, not that he shouldn't be held accountable.

I'm not sure what Fr. Harrington's involvement is, but he did a lot for St. John's. Maybe not so much for the basketball program. I believe a person should be remembered by his many deeds, and not by the rare indiscretion. We are after all......human. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:49:58 AM by STJFAN »

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »
Hey fan, didn't realize a president can single handily lead us into war. I thought there was a system based on checks and balances. And i'm sure you also believe 9/11 was also GWB's fault as well all hatched in his 9 months in office, it wasn't planned at all during the 8 yrs under Clinton. You will probably follow BO right into Syria without any objections.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:31:57 AM by erickthered »

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:51 AM »
Guys ...way too political...take it to the off topic board.  Nobody wants to read this stuff here.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
The only part of this Harrington situation that relates to basketball is the damage that he knowingly and maliciously did to our program. We have a new coach and we'll have a new president soon. Hopefully, it will be someone with a different value system than Harrington.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:16:28 AM by Poison »

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »
except harrington was president when lavin was hired.  i'm sure some pr person can spin that into FH turned the program around.

derk

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »
except harrington was president when lavin was hired.  i'm sure some pr person can spin that into FH turned the program around.

He did. He dialed Repole's number.