PG-Jordan
SF-Harrison
SF-Pointer
F-Sampson
F-Sanchez

LJSA

Re: Starting Line up 13-14
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:23 PM »
And when Pointer sits, I think a three-guard lineup protects us from not having a top-notch backup SF in the event that Sampson doesn't perform well there if we try to go big.

This of course is based on the premise that Hooper and Bourgault can only play in short spurts. I know others like them more than I do.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

Bring Harrison off the bench as a JR Smith type of player and start Obekpa over Pointer if our opponent has a bigger lineup.

IMO I dont think there is anyway that both D'lo and Phil dont start.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
G- Branch
G- Jordan
F- Pointer
F- Sampson
F- Sanchez

IMO I dont think there is anyway that both D'lo and Phil dont start.

I dont like D'lo off the bench. The pro game is different and allows for more time and shot opportunities for everyone. Having said that I think he will come off the bench to start the season, mostly because of his suspension, the quotes he had about possibly not starting, and Lavs love for Phil.

Rysheed
Phil
Dom
Jakarr
Orlando

The reason I don't like D'Lo starting is sometimes he takes silly shots very early in the game (shooting a 3 off the opening tip) and that kind of sets the tone for our offense.  If we can establish a nice offensive flow off the bat with playmakers like Branch and Jordan in there then Harrison can slide in and play within the system effectively instead of feeling the burden of being the guy.  I'd still give him 30 minutes a game but I'd prefer it be off the bench.  But yeah, Lavin does seem to have a Phil Greene fetish so who knows.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
I think Phil works his butt off and is rewarded with playing time. I think it's as simple as that. 

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »
I think Phil works his butt off and is rewarded with playing time. I think it's as simple as that. 

No problem with him getting minutes. Just a problem with getting 30 of them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:55 AM »

This isn't intramurals.   Now we have 3 other guards that are more talented - they need to start.   We keep looking for reasons to explain why coach is going to start Phil.   He shouldn't.   I'm not going to parse words, if he starts Greene that's a mistake.

Nobody's saying he can't be a valuable guy off the bench.  But the love affair needs to end.  There's simply much better options available. 

desco80

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:16:32 AM »
And Fwiw here's my opening lineup:

Jordan
Harrison
Dom
Sampson
Sanchez

I'd rather Branch start, but I'd be pretty shocked if Rysheed wasn't promised the opportunity to start.   And at least initially hell be given that chance IMO.

bk8664

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »

Jordan
Harrison
Dom
Sampson
Sanchez

I'd rather Branch start, but I'd be pretty shocked if Rysheed wasn't promised the opportunity to start.   And at least initially hell be given that chance IMO.

That's my starting lineup as well.   But Jordan would start for a different reason - simply because he had beat other PG options out during the pre-season.  Not because he was promised anything.   He's for sure the most athletic PG we have, and it seems like his passing is good as well.  His ability to get into the lane and either dish or get fouled is greatly needed.   It seems simply, that he is the best option.  It's basically his talent vs. others' experience.   I hope the talent wins out.

bk8664

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

This isn't intramurals.   Now we have 3 other guards that are more talented - they need to start.   We keep looking for reasons to explain why coach is going to start Phil.   He shouldn't.   I'm not going to parse words, if he starts Greene that's a mistake.

Nobody's saying he can't be a valuable guy off the bench.  But the love affair needs to end.  There's simply much better options available.

I 100% agree.  This is about production and efficiency on the floor.    The guys you play more than others should be guys that are getting the job done better.  It's not mean spirited to think this way.   Highly effective business organizations are run this way.  I have nothing against Phil Greene - if he's the best, then he'll play more.  If he's not, then others will play more.  It's simple.

jayro

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »
Given that Green was hurt all year, and it supposedly affected his play, I see a 100% healthy Green as the most improved player in the coming season. If healthy he is the best backcourt defender and the quickest.  We will see how much his injury affected his shooting and the rest of his game.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
Branch
Jordan
Harrison
Sanchez
CO

ras

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
Branch
Jordan
Harrison
Sanchez
CO
How can he not start Sampson? I too, like Jorden,DLO,Pointer,Sampson,and Sanchez. This is a quality problem for a change ,that the Dukes and Kentucky have every year. We have a lot of talent.

boo3

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »
 Jordan
Harrison
Branch
Sampson
Sanchez

replace Branch with CO when we need to go big.

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
Should be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Pointer
Harrison
Jordan

Will be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Harrison
Greene
Jordan

Poison

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Should be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Pointer
Harrison
Jordan

Will be:
Sanchez
Sampson
Harrison
Greene
Jordan

From Twitter it seems like coach believes in Pointer. I think he'll start because of that. The question is will DLo have a clean slate when he returns? Will be able allowed to start?

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Branch
Jordan
Harrison
Sanchez
CO
How can he not start Sampson? I too, like Jorden,DLO,Pointer,Sampson,and Sanchez. This is a quality problem for a change ,that the Dukes and Kentucky have every year. We have a lot of talent.

Whoops, meant Sampson not Harrison

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
1st few games of season
Branch
Greene
Pointer
Sampson
Chris O
with no one getting more than 28 min

By start of BE
Jordan
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez
JaKarr is a 4 not a 3, even though he wants to be
9 man rotation w Branch, Greene, Chris O & Gift
because of great depth- Jones, Balamou, Hooper & Marco minimal minutes
Molloy '71

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »

Jordan
Harrison
Dom
Sampson
Sanchez

I think that's our best five players.  Whether they start remains to be seen.