Burger Discussion from Whitehead Thread

• 65 replies
Re: Burger Discussion from Whitehead Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Now the next question is which fries do you like the best at the burger places. Shake Shack's fries suck in my opinion. Red Robins werent bad and 5 guys arent bad.

And MCN not sure if you knew this but there is a shake shack now on old country rd between roosevelt field and the source mall

Mike, you ever see some of those burger places featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives? OMG
Yeah. I gain weight just from watching that show

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »

Is that the place some friends of mine go to when they get the munchies. Rastaburger ?

gman

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Five guys Cajun fries are probably my favorite

NYCoffey

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2013, 12:32:37 AM »
Anyone been to the burger joint in the parker meridian? Great burger and not expensive at all.

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
i forgot about the burger joint behind the curtain at the parker meridian.

great burger and there are usually celebrities there tasting the fare.

crgreen

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »

There are a lot of great, individual Hamburger joints out there.  It's not that tough to make a good burger.  The trick is to be able to consistently produce the same quality, taste, presentation for every burger at a large number of restaurants, over a long period of time.     My loyalty to In-n-Out comes from knowing I can walk into any of their 280+ restaurants, order an "animal double double and fries", and get that same quality, taste and presentation.  And I've been getting that same quality, taste and presentation from placing that same order for over 60 years.   Harry Snyder and his wife Esther opened the first In-n-Out in 1948 on Francisquito Avenue in Baldwin Park right at the off-ramp of the San Bernardino Freeway (now known as the 10) - about  5 blocks from my house.  It was a sensation from the start - it was the FIRST drive-THRU restaurant in California - literally (as opposed to the Drive-IN).  Until the 1970s there were no seats at any In and Out - there was a drive thru lane (two, actually!) and a walk up window for foot traffic.   

Keeping the same food quality and control for over 60 years is pretty much unheard of.   A "Big Boy" burger (be it Bob's or Frisch's or any of the other franchisees around the country) is similar to the Bob Wian original - but not the same.   A McDonalds Big Mac still has "two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun" - but its really a far cry from what the McDonald Brothers sold at the original San Bernardino California location, or what Ray Krock, as the first franchisee sold at his first McDonalds in Illinois in 1955.  Heck these two chains no longer "diaper" a Big Boy, and serve a Big Mac in Styrafoam, for crying out loud.

In n Out has been able to  maintain by being a strictly family-owned business (there are no franchisees), and adhering to Harry's original credo for expansion - no restaurant located more than a 12 hour drive from an In-n-Out distribution center - of which there are now 5 in the western US.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:03:50 PM by crgreen »

gman

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Anyone been to the burger joint in the parker meridian? Great burger and not expensive at all.

I work a block away but never think to go there

mkras99

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »
21 Club has a great burger.

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
21 Club has a great burger.
Once upon a time I had  a copy their recipe 5 or 6 different cut of beef. In those day they were selling for somethink like $25 or $30.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »

There are a lot of great, individual Hamburger joints out there.  It's not that tough to make a good burger.  The trick is to be able to consistently produce the same quality, taste, presentation for every burger at a large number of restaurants, over a long period of time.     My loyalty to In-n-Out comes from knowing I can walk into any of their 280+ restaurants, order an "animal double double and fries", and get that same quality, taste and presentation.  And I've been getting that same quality, taste and presentation from placing that same order for over 60 years.   Harry Snyder and his wife Esther opened the first In-n-Out in 1948 on Francisquito Avenue in Baldwin Park right at the off-ramp of the San Bernardino Freeway (now known as the 10) - about  5 blocks from my house.  It was a sensation from the start - it was the FIRST drive-THRU restaurant in California - literally (as opposed to the Drive-IN).  Until the 1970s there were no seats at any In and Out - there was a drive thru lane (two, actually!) and a walk up window for foot traffic.   

Keeping the same food quality and control for over 60 years is pretty much unheard of.   A "Big Boy" burger (be it Bob's or Frisch's or any of the other franchisees around the country) is similar to the Bob Wian original - but not the same.   A McDonalds Big Mac still has "two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun" - but its really a far cry from what the McDonald Brothers sold at the original San Bernardino California location, or what Ray Krock, as the first franchisee sold at his first McDonalds in Illinois in 1955.  Heck these two chains no longer "diaper" a Big Boy, and serve a Big Mac in Styrafoam, for crying out loud.

In n Out has been able to  maintain by being a strictly family-owned business (there are no franchisees), and adhering to Harry's original credo for expansion - no restaurant located more than a 12 hour drive from an In-n-Out distribution center - of which there are now 5 in the western US.

Without question today but 40, 45 year ago I preffered Hoff Hut and little stand ( long gone ) on 7th Street across from Long Beach Wilson High School

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:16:42 AM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Smash Burger.... and dont look back.

Been twice to the one around the corner and not that impressed on a taste and value for money basis.  If you like their Truffle burger you have to try Umami  Burger's Truffle Burger.  Blows Smashburger away.

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »

The King's of burgers as far as individual outlets/non chains nowadays out here are Father's Office and Plan Check.  Both great.

Ted, not Triple D (Diners, Drive Ins and Dives) but I was watching United States of Bacon with my son a few weeks back and they featured a place in Pasadena called Slater's 50/50 that features a burger that's 50% ground bacon done a couple of ways.  Have you been there?  Your thoughts?  My son's a bacon fanatic so I've promised him a trip only if he also orders the Bacon Shake.

gman

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
There is a new bareburger opening on the UES.  I can't wait to try it.  At home I only eat grass fed beef, so this is right up my alley.

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 09:34:44 PM »
anyone try the burgers at energy kitchen ?

Moose

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
anyone try the burgers at energy kitchen ?

Repole
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »

Foad

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »

Two thirds of adults in the US are overweight or obese. (Not me thankfully, I have the taut inner thighs of a Swedish gymnast, thanks to Volume Two of the Firm, with guest fitness instructor Janet Jones.

)

Last year 597,689 people died last year from heart disease, and nearly a million from cardiovascular disease. The consumption of red meat is a major contributor to both obesity and heart disease. This problem is especially acute among the minority community in the US, which has the highest  collective blood pressure in in the known world.

I believe it was Stalin who said that "One decapitation is an atrocity, 597,689 deaths is a statistic." I wouldn't go that far, but you might want to have a salad every once in a while. Just sayin.

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
No doubt.