Yakwe Eligible!!

• 129 replies
Re: Yakwe Eligible!!
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2015, 10:21:02 PM »
Mitch Richmond indicated on the radio post game show he's in for Fordham.  Also said he needs work in some areas, so don't expect big miracles.  Play him...he won't be around for four years.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »
Mitch Richmond indicated on the radio post game show he's in for Fordham.  Also said he needs work in some areas, so don't expect big miracles.  Play him...he won't be around for four years.

I agree with playing him, but feel he could be a four year player unless he acquires SF skills. Not many 6'6 or maybe 6'7 power forwards playing in NBA. Granted, overseas is always an option, but let's worry about that down the road.

TONYD3

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
This guy is not a program changer but I am hoping he is beast. He has over 100 games left to play. Fordham is a big game to me. Hoping he gets a double double . Don't get some of you. After 4 years I hope he gets to play for pay and then we recruit another player. 

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2015, 11:14:06 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

But again, this is not about this year. We won't accomplish anything anyway this year. I understand the game experience for next year argument but if we are doing this just because we need him this year, it's stupid

It's game experience and based on this staff's ability to recruit, we're going to probably be targeting 4 and 5 star prospects in 3 years so we'll need the scholly after Yakwe has a nice career. If this team isn't competing at a high level in 3 years, then that's a whole other discussion.

I do not mind the experience argument, I'm just saying that wanting him to suit up now because we need him this year just defies logic
I don't think it does defy logic.  First of all, we have four years to fill that ship for 2019-20.  If we're not recruiting on a high level by then, we're in trouble anyway.  We need him now.  What if you are losing all your games by one or two points.  A good player off the bench can put you over the top for several more victories in those games.  You play to win.

Secondly, the argument that we're not very good this year, so why not redshirt him, could be made for any player.  So why not redshirt Ellison, and Williams, even if they're healthy?  Williams has already missed four games (if you count Rutgers 4mins.)  Why not redshirt him?  You don't, because you have several years to fill that ship.  Not being competitive in games hurts your recruiting efforts, now.  I wasn't happy with the Vandy blowout because you don't like to lose like that, but also because of the recruiting angle.  Don't you think Stallings is going to used that when he talks to Freudenberg this year?  Consistent beat downs don't make you look good.  It provides negative recruiting material for you're competitors.  They could say, "How can you be sure that they can get it together".

Exactly redmen4life, Poison (gulp!), buckeyestorm, and WillieG!  If this was Lavin, then goredman would be singing a different tune.  If you truly believe in this staff, then not redshirting Yakwe isn't a big issue. 

Again, Williams and Ellison may have injuries that hamper 'em all season, and that places too much pressure on the other folks who are playing being their shorthanded.  Allow Yakwe to get experience, and we'll be better for it in the long haul.  You play to win for today (regardless, how many wins you believe we'll have at the end of the season).   

ras

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
You have to play him. It's only 6 games into the season. He will have shaken off the rust by the time BE play really gets going in January. Addresses a huge need in the front court.

But again, this is not about this year. We won't accomplish anything anyway this year. I understand the game experience for next year argument but if we are doing this just because we need him this year, it's stupid

It's game experience and based on this staff's ability to recruit, we're going to probably be targeting 4 and 5 star prospects in 3 years so we'll need the scholly after Yakwe has a nice career. If this team isn't competing at a high level in 3 years, then that's a whole other discussion.

I do not mind the experience argument, I'm just saying that wanting him to suit up now because we need him this year just defies logic
I don't think it does defy logic.  First of all, we have four years to fill that ship for 2019-20.  If we're not recruiting on a high level by then, we're in trouble anyway.  We need him now.  What if you are losing all your games by one or two points.  A good player off the bench can put you over the top for several more victories in those games.  You play to win.

Secondly, the argument that we're not very good this year, so why not redshirt him, could be made for any player.  So why not redshirt Ellison, and Williams, even if they're healthy?  Williams has already missed four games (if you count Rutgers 4mins.)  Why not redshirt him?  You don't, because you have several years to fill that ship.  Not being competitive in games hurts your recruiting efforts, now.  I wasn't happy with the Vandy blowout because you don't like to lose like that, but also because of the recruiting angle.  Don't you think Stallings is going to used that when he talks to Freudenberg this year?  Consistent beat downs don't make you look good.  It provides negative recruiting material for you're competitors.  They could say, "How can you be sure that they can get it together".
Truth be told. I can see the argument for redshirting Williams not Yakwe. Williams was supposed to be a very good player. I get the feeling his shoulder was never fully healed and a year off might help. That said. W Matt ,Slice ,Mullin and time, I'm not worried about 4 years from now. Play them this year.

goredmen

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:45 PM »

Exactly redmen4life, Poison (gulp!), buckeyestorm, and WillieG!  If this was Lavin, then goredman would be singing a different tune.  If you truly believe in this staff, then not redshirting Yakwe isn't a big issue. 

Again, Williams and Ellison may have injuries that hamper 'em all season, and that places too much pressure on the other folks who are playing being their shorthanded.  Allow Yakwe to get experience, and we'll be better for it in the long haul.  You play to win for today (regardless, how many wins you believe we'll have at the end of the season).   

Not sure what the Lavin thing meant as I have said previously in this thread that I trust this staff has done their due diligence and they believe this is best decision for the player and the program. The fact that it . If this was Lavin, I would be singing a different tune because Lavin has proven that he does do his due diligence when making important decisions like this, taking Felix's redshirt season away from him last year leaps out.

While if it was up to me I would lean towards redshirting Yakwe this season, it isn't as big of an issue to me as I guess I have made it seem in this thread. My main beef is with the idea that the decision should be made on the basis of our needs for him this season when he won't really make a difference anyway. Like I've said multiple times, I do understand and respect the opinion that getting him game experience this year would be more valuable to him and program when who knows if he will even be here for a 5th year.

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2015, 11:30:23 PM »

Not sure what the Lavin thing meant as I have said previously in this thread that I trust this staff has done their due diligence and they believe this is best decision for the player and the program. The fact that it . If this was Lavin, I would be singing a different tune because Lavin has proven that he does do his due diligence when making important decisions like this, taking Felix's redshirt season away from him last year leaps out.

While if it was up to me I would lean towards redshirting Yakwe this season, it isn't as big of an issue to me as I guess I have made it seem in this thread. My main beef is with the idea that the decision should be made on the basis of our needs for him this season when he won't really make a difference anyway. Like I've said multiple times, I do understand and respect the opinion that getting him game experience this year would be more valuable to him and program when who knows if he will even be here for a 5th year.

I guess that's a fair response.

Marillac

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2015, 02:08:05 AM »
It is about this year. Let's win some games.

You are the only one that could possibly feel this way.  Yakwe MAYBE adds a win or two this year. 

I feel this way, too. There may be 30-40 STJ fans who love this program and are willing accept that we can get our butts kicked all over the place this year, but recruits for 16-17 which isn't finished certainly won't. And they shouldn't. You want top talent to come here? They need to see what they would be committing to be a part of. If you think that people outside of STJ season tickets holders give a shit that Mullin is starting over, you're looking through rose colored glasses. A terrible season means you're a terrible team. Most recruits who are on the fence won't stop to consider how an 8 win team is on the right track.

Think Rawlie would consider picking us if we don't have some kind of a foundation in place for next year?

You play Yakwe because the point is to win games, and he can help you win them. That's the first reason you play him. Who gives a shit what the other reason is?

I love this 5th year talk. Hysterical. Be grateful that you can have him here for one year.

Taking it one year at a time is an awful way to build a program.  We were forced to look at it that way with Lavin, but things are different with Mullin.  Lavin was obsessed with adding kids with NBA size and potential instead of valuing skill and college readiness.  Anytime Dom, Jakaar, Rysheed, and Chris looked like they could wipe their ass without falling over, scouts took note because of their size and athletic ability. They were a threat to go pro any given year and a few were a threat to go awol or crazy any given night.  Even Harrison publicly stated he was going to stay a year or two before going to the NBA, and he was 6'2 and had no athletic ability to speak of.  We also had to contend with the lesser talent of Lavin's buddy recruiting system leaving when his friend was done or he was tired of not playing enough.

Yakwe alone gives reason to believe the culture is different here.  Instead of talking about going pro after a year, he told everyone that he wanted to prep or redshirt to develop his game.  You don't do that unless you plan on staying in college for four to five years.  And truthfully, where is he going to go at 6'7?  His only chance at the NBA is to enter the draft when he is game ready.  The same can be said for Lovett, Mussini, and Ponds.  Sima and Mussini are old souls and behave like 40 year old men compared to Lavin's guys.  Can you imagine any situation where these guys jump someone in a shower, neglect schoolwork, or go M.I.A. for a week?

Mullin and the staff absolutely have to look long term to plan and this situation really highlights that.  There are only three scholarships remaining for this year and only one for next year (assuming Jones plays his 5th year).  That means if you play Yakwe this year, you are set to lose Sima, Yakwe, and Owens (in addition to Ellison, Holifield, and Mussini) in the same year.  Since bigs take longer to develop, you want to sign and groom replacements starting with 2016. We don't seem to be involved with any bigs in 2016 and none of our top 2016 targets (Ahmed, Freudenberg, and Alkins) project as four year players any way.  SJU is kind of handcuffed if they play Yakwe this year.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
It is about this year. Let's win some games.

You are the only one that could possibly feel this way.  Yakwe MAYBE adds a win or two this year. 

I feel this way, too. There may be 30-40 STJ fans who love this program and are willing accept that we can get our butts kicked all over the place this year, but recruits for 16-17 which isn't finished certainly won't. And they shouldn't. You want top talent to come here? They need to see what they would be committing to be a part of. If you think that people outside of STJ season tickets holders give a shit that Mullin is starting over, you're looking through rose colored glasses. A terrible season means you're a terrible team. Most recruits who are on the fence won't stop to consider how an 8 win team is on the right track.

Think Rawlie would consider picking us if we don't have some kind of a foundation in place for next year?

You play Yakwe because the point is to win games, and he can help you win them. That's the first reason you play him. Who gives a shit what the other reason is?

I love this 5th year talk. Hysterical. Be grateful that you can have him here for one year.

Taking it one year at a time is an awful way to build a program.  We were forced to look at it that way with Lavin, but things are different with Mullin.  Lavin was obsessed with adding kids with NBA size and potential instead of valuing skill and college readiness.  Anytime Dom, Jakaar, Rysheed, and Chris looked like they could wipe their ass without falling over, scouts took note because of their size and athletic ability. They were a threat to go pro any given year and a few were a threat to go awol or crazy any given night.  Even Harrison publicly stated he was going to stay a year or two before going to the NBA, and he was 6'2 and had no athletic ability to speak of.  We also had to contend with the lesser talent of Lavin's buddy recruiting system leaving when his friend was done or he was tired of not playing enough.

Yakwe alone gives reason to believe the culture is different here.  Instead of talking about going pro after a year, he told everyone that he wanted to prep or redshirt to develop his game.  You don't do that unless you plan on staying in college for four to five years.  And truthfully, where is he going to go at 6'7?  His only chance at the NBA is to enter the draft when he is game ready.  The same can be said for Lovett, Mussini, and Ponds.  Sima and Mussini are old souls and behave like 40 year old men compared to Lavin's guys.  Can you imagine any situation where these guys jump someone in a shower, neglect schoolwork, or go M.I.A. for a week?

Mullin and the staff absolutely have to look long term to plan and this situation really highlights that.  There are only three scholarships remaining for this year and only one for next year (assuming Jones plays his 5th year).  That means if you play Yakwe this year, you are set to lose Sima, Yakwe, and Owens (in addition to Ellison, Holifield, and Mussini) in the same year.  Since bigs take longer to develop, you want to sign and groom replacements starting with 2016. We don't seem to be involved with any bigs in 2016 and none of our top 2016 targets (Ahmed, Freudenberg, and Alkins) project as four year players any way.  SJU is kind of handcuffed if they play Yakwe this year.

You make some good points about potentially losing a lot of players in one year. That's possible. Personally, I'd gladly accept that if it meant that we could show real potential for next season. The only way we can do that is by competing this year. Norm Roberts won 9 games, and then he was able to add Ricky Torres, Aaron Spears, Tomas Jasuloines and Anthony Mason Jr. - one of the worst classes in BE history. You need to show recruits that you have something here worth joining. None of us are expecting, or even considering holding Mullin accountable for not making the tournament this year. But that doesn't mean recruits aren't, but if they're smart, they'll expect results and they'll expect them now.

9 wins isn't bringing Rawlie here. And he'd be smart not to come. But if we win 15 or 16, and play some tight games down the stretch, potential will be visible. If Sima and Jones spend the BE season in foul trouble sitting on the bench, what will have been the point of this season other than to just get it out of the way? How can our young players develop with a roster of 6 players? It worked fine against Chaminade. It won't be pretty when Syracuse comes to town and they're dunking on guys that made the team because of a mid season open tryout.

« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »

Where's he going?

Tha Kid

« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
I honestly can't believe people are even suggesting redshirting him.  We had 6 scholarship players yesterday.  If Williams' injury lingers we have one legit big man and then Alibegovic.  Yakwe could get invaluable experience playing in the BE this year with his teammates without the pressure of needing to be perfect.  The experience this year will be great, he will be happier, and the potential success and foundation will be much easier for recruits and their advisors to see with yakwe on the court and likely showing obvious improvement over the course of the year.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »
Just be "thankful" he was cleared & live with staff's decision to play him this week. Fully expect some to moan about this all week. Sheesh!

paultzman

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »

Where's he going?

Absolutely nowhere

Johnny23

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
Some very good arguments being made for and against Yakwe taking a redshirt this year. I think you have to play him for several reasons. The first being game experience. The second being that sports at all levels is a Win Now business more than ever. Thirdly, recruits and their "circles" who are considering St. John's want to see that the staff is more than willing to give these young frosh a lot of PT as they are being promised during the recruiting process. Finally, for several reasons, Yakwe may not be here in 5 years if he's either good enough to go pro early (highly unlikely). Also as stated previously, if this team is a top 25 team in 2-3 years from now then we should have a good amount of 4/5 star recruits looking hard at the Johnnies and we will be in a very good position to replace Yakwe with someone of equal or higher caliber.

The only argument I can see for redshirting him is that if this team is really a top 25 level squad in 2 or 3 years from now and they are really gelling, it would be great to have all of that experience come back for an extra year...Yakwe, Ponds, Lovett., and so on.

Foad

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2015, 08:59:40 AM »
This guy is not a program changer but I am hoping he is beast. He has over 100 games left to play. Fordham is a big game to me. Hoping he gets a double double

Only a double double? Why the low expectations?

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »

Where's he going?

Absolutely nowhere

It depends on his work ethic.  I'll go on record and say he isn't going to be transferring to Iona.

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »
Maralliac makes some good points. But this guy would be an instant starter. Guys redshirt because they can't play not because they can. I can't believe he would be interested in sitting in the bench and watching his team get killed .

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
This guy is not a program changer but I am hoping he is beast. He has over 100 games left to play. Fordham is a big game to me. Hoping he gets a double double . Don't get some of you. After 4 years I hope he gets to play for pay and then we recruit another player. 

5/5 more would be fine for this raw, but developing player. Having seen him, don't get nuts with initial contribution & then slam him for coming up short of double/double out of gate. Staff knows that & so should we. That said, in time, he will be a solid, enjoyable warrior.

TONYD3

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
I will not slam him for not getting double double.

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »

Where's he going?

Absolutely nowhere

It depends on his work ethic.  I'll go on record and say he isn't going to be transferring to Iona.

You said he won't be around for 4 years.  Any ideas where he would be going?