Marquette Game

• 93 replies
Re: Marquette Game
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2016, 08:24:13 PM »
What happened with Felix?

Not sure other than that he was 1-5 and isn't very good?
had to be hurt

Suspicious tweet from Felix

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
Second half was fun. Yakwe + Sima? Wow
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
Team did not quit and showed continued improvement.  If they can have a consistent 40 they can get a few wins, particularly with Sima back in feb.  What a great half by Mussini, kid can fill it up.  Looking forward to seeing him off the ball next year.

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2016, 12:13:07 AM »
First one I've seen live since back when we used to win games:

Lube is a freakishly good rim protector for 6' 7" and less than 200 lbs.  Even while giving up 5 inches plus against caucasian twin towers.  Contests everything and absolutely refuses to be posterized.  Blocked a couple of dunk attempts seemingly right out of the rim.

Da Ali B hustled and worked his a$$ off from the get go.  Replicated exactly the Syracuse highlight reel putback dunk only 10 seconds into the contest.  On the floor as much as he was upright to great effect.  That he only got credited with one steal must be a misprint.  Stared down the young Marquette faithful situated in the first row after he hit an early three.  They rode him the whole game after that.  The kid badly wants to win and was really into the game.  Even from the bench.  Mullin yelled at him after he couldn't stop a Marquette alley oop dunk caused by a bad Mussini turnover.  Seemed so unfair.

Fellini scored 19 points in the final 14 minutes of the game.  0 in the first 26 minutes.

DJ2 hit two threes in the final minute to really make things interesting.  Shot better from 20 feet out than from 2 ft. out.

Our full court pressure rattled the Eagles and made it a competitive game.  Perhaps we should use it again. 

Marquette came out very strong defensively as we managed to score only 9 points 11 minutes into the game and only 11 points 14 minutes into the game.   

Walked right up to the front of the concession window with NO line at halftime.  It should snow more often.

P.S. Who was the kid that won the modified basketball oriented musical chair game at halftime?  He threw down three dunks with no warmup and in street clothes that would have won any collegiate dunking contest anywhere! Unreal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:17:36 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2016, 09:01:33 AM »
Team played hard, as they generally do, but 20 point deficits are near impossible.  Our prolonged scoreless streaks are maddening. 2 point field goal percentage killed us; missed enough shots in close to make you crazy. We didn't run any stuff for Mussini in 1st half, took only 2 shots.  Have to get him some looks off screens.

Yakwe's 7 blocks were very impressive: kid is a freak and plays hard all the time. With the way he works, won't take long for his offensive game to develop. Johnson hit some big 3's to make it close.  Ellison's turnovers remain troubling: they're almost all unforced. 

Wojo is an absolute dick as a coach and totally clueless: someone should tell him that he's not playing anymore.  Don't think he'll last long at Marquette.  With both Ellenson and Fisher, his team should be playing better.  He's in big trouble next year.

pmg911

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »

Wojo is an absolute dick as a coach and totally clueless: someone should tell him that he's not playing anymore.  Don't think he'll last long at Marquette.  With both Ellenson and Fisher, his team should be playing better.  He's in big trouble next year.

I work with two large Marquette boosters  - they LOVE Wojo out there..!!

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »

I find him less annoying than Chris Collins but more annoying than Quin Snyder

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Team played hard, as they generally do, but 20 point deficits are near impossible.  Our prolonged scoreless streaks are maddening. 2 point field goal percentage killed us; missed enough shots in close to make you crazy. We didn't run any stuff for Mussini in 1st half, took only 2 shots.  Have to get him some looks off screens.

Yakwe's 7 blocks were very impressive: kid is a freak and plays hard all the time. With the way he works, won't take long for his offensive game to develop. Johnson hit some big 3's to make it close.  Ellison's turnovers remain troubling: they're almost all unforced. 

Wojo is so clueless that he landed a top recruiting class last year and beat us twice this year. And as PMG  said, they love him there.

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »
Yeah, he beat our team of misfit toys twice, with 42 turnovers.  He's a master coach.  Just think his screaming act will wear thin once the losses pile up.  And it's only my opinion, but I think that the jumping up and down and hugging after a dunk/timeout should be left to the players, not the head coach.

goredmen

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »

Was talking about this with a buddy a couple weeks ago. I think if Wojo succeeds consistently at Marquette he'll be the guy that takes over for K when he decides to retire

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Yeah, he beat our team of misfit toys twice, with 42 turnovers.  He's a master coach.  Just think his screaming act will wear thin once the losses pile up.  And it's only my opinion, but I think that the jumping up and down and hugging after a dunk/timeout should be left to the players, not the head coach.

I agree that the hugging the player after that big jam kinda irked me, but overall I think he's doing a pretty nice job.

TONYD3

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »
I like wojo. He is not disrespectful. He is passionate.

cjfish

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
He is from Duke therefor he must be hated.

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »
....and admired.  Duke does win regularly, like us, they follow the rules, and, again like us, their kids graduate. He was a super player, a champion, and he probably expects  more than the kids are giving.  I envy Duke and enjoy beating them.