Roster updates

• 244 replies
Re: Roster updates
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
Adonis is from CK.  Not going to help with Arbitello's guy Alkins.

It won't have an impact.

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

It won't have an impact.
I hope not, but why do you think this.

Moose

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »

It won't have an impact.

Because Arbitello hates Lavin and ADR still came here against those wishes or desires. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:23 AM »
And because we r not that likely to get him anyway,

Happy

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
And because we r not that likely to get him anyway,

Better late then never on his recruitment-  if you had any idea of his recruitment and his family preferences you wouldn't have made that statement.

hnk

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »
I am just going by what the kid has said/done himself.   My guess is he is a big tease....we'll see.  Not really sure how good he'll be anyway.  I think there are at least a few others like him.   Does he have eligibility issues?

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Adonis...first team all city...two state championships...finally a NYC players comes here.  I only saw him play in the STAC game...15 minutes, ten points, five rebounds, a steal.  He was extremely quick...and not just quick for a 300 something pounder. He was FAR BETTER than Curtis Johnson who had weight and foot problems.

I can't say I saw Owens or Sima play...but Adonis was a keeper.  I'm disappointed.

High school is not the Big East

I'm sure you'll be creeming in your jeans if he picks Iona.  BTW, this kid Iona just recruited from Spring Valley high school is going to be very good.

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
Adonis...first team all city...two state championships...finally a NYC players comes here.  I only saw him play in the STAC game...15 minutes, ten points, five rebounds, a steal.  He was extremely quick...and not just quick for a 300 something pounder. He was FAR BETTER than Curtis Johnson who had weight and foot problems.

I can't say I saw Owens or Sima play...but Adonis was a keeper.  I'm disappointed.

High school is not the Big East

I'm sure you'll be creeming in your jeans if he picks Iona.  BTW, this kid Iona just recruited from Spring Valley high school is going to be very good.

Cluess doesn't like centers. I don't think it would be a good fit.

Ya I think Rickey McGill is going to be nice

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 11:10:26 AM »

It won't have an impact.

Because Arbitello hates Lavin and ADR still came here against those wishes or desires.
I'll go one step further and bet Arbitello will love Chris and the staff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »

How you figure? Was Adonis helping with Alkins when Lavin was here?

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2015, 11:31:57 AM »

It won't have an impact.

Alkins probably won't even be at CK next year right?

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
Jordan, Ellison, Williams, Diallo, Obepka, Sima, Mvoika, Felix, Doughty(or another guard)).

Looks legit to me..that's a nice rotation

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »
Jordan, Ellison, Williams, Diallo, Obepka, Sima, Mvoika, Felix, Doughty(or another guard)).

Need a point guard (Lovett/Mussini) and another shooter.  I expect we'll add both soon enough.  You left out Amar. 

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »

Diallo, Diallo, Diallo....!!

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2015, 09:14:43 PM »

Need a point guard (Lovett/Mussini) and another shooter.  I expect we'll add both soon enough.  You left out Amar. 

Yes on both

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
No issue with the PG slot going to a freshman.  My guess is the add'l scorer/shooter/wing will be a 1-year transfer or JUCO, for purposes of roster balance and so we have plenty of ships open for next year.

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
No issue with the PG slot going to a freshman.  My guess is the add'l scorer/shooter/wing will be a 1-year transfer or JUCO, for purposes of roster balance and so we have plenty of ships open for next year.

I don't have an issue with PG going to a frosh to let Jordan rest and get 10-15 mpg off the ball.  We won't be asking him to play 25+ mpg year one.

I think Ellison pops for us next week, and I hope Diallo will as well.  For next season to be a big success on the court, I think a guy like Durand Johnson (yes, I'm moving on from Damion Lee finally) is needed even more than Diallo. An experienced 6'6 shooter that is a natural SF and can carry some of the scoring load.  We don't have the prototypical SF that Mullin is seeking yet.  Williams will be great, but I see him as more of a face-up four with range that can play SF for small stretches.

Bring Ellison along slowly.  He'll be a fantastic four-year player, but you just can't rely on freshmen.  Obviously Diallo would be an amazing addition, but I feel pretty good between Williams and Alibegovic (and Jones in a pinch). 

MCNPA

« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2015, 03:41:51 AM »

I don't have an issue with PG going to a frosh to let Jordan rest and get 10-15 mpg off the ball.  We won't be asking him to play 25+ mpg year one.

I think Ellison pops for us next week, and I hope Diallo will as well.  For next season to be a big success on the court, I think a guy like Durand Johnson (yes, I'm moving on from Damion Lee finally) is needed even more than Diallo. An experienced 6'6 shooter that is a natural SF and can carry some of the scoring load.  We don't have the prototypical SF that Mullin is seeking yet.  Williams will be great, but I see him as more of a face-up four with range that can play SF for small stretches.

Bring Ellison along slowly.  He'll be a fantastic four-year player, but you just can't rely on freshmen.  Obviously Diallo would be an amazing addition, but I feel pretty good between Williams and Alibegovic (and Jones in a pinch). 
Diallo, Ellison and Mussini and we are ready to roll and be quite competitive. 

« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Dream scenario right now: Diallo, Ellison (maybe with or without Doughty), and either Mussini or Lovett. If we miss on Diallo, I'd imagine a Papagiannis visit will pop up shortly thereafter.

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
Roster is really turning upside down.  Makes a lot of room for new blood. 

Stating the obvious, but this staff has a plan. They may hit some bumps in the road, but we're on our way to being a consistently solid program

I can see that.  They're making tons of moves right off the bat.  Recruiting different style of players totally and guys that don't fit well like Adonis are transferring.  Both forwards we just grabbed can shoot well, and we grabbed a big and pretty well rounded center.  I like the type of guys they are going after so far and balancing out roster from day 1.  The bumps in the road are mainly that this roster is almost bare except for 3-4 guys, and they got a very late recruiting start.  I have very little concern about our trajectory at this point thoigh. 

Most importantly they are trying to balance classes. i know it's different now but Looie always recruited in 2 yr cycles never leaving himself shorthanded when seniors graduated.