Roster updates

• 244 replies
Re: Roster updates
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2015, 02:04:10 PM »
only other person I'd like to leave is Amar...he was useless. I know a lot of you like him here...but he was crap.
Lets not do this here.  And he looked like a good kid too.

jsk

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »
Amar was a Freshman who showed improvement in a system (culture) different than where he came. I believe part of a Coach's role is to develop players. That being said, I certainly am realistic enough to recognize the need for a new staff  (as well as players) to make changes that better fit their strategy and style. Such is life! BTW, he does have size and appears willing to learn and make adjustments.

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
I thought Amar showed improvement over the course of the season. I think he could be solid four yr player for us. The problem with the last two regimes is no one had specified role when it came running a set offense. If Amar can come off bench rebound and shoot the three then that sounds good. Also he was only guy show up to play down in DC.

« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2015, 01:43:53 AM »
Roster is really turning upside down.  Makes a lot of room for new blood. 

Stating the obvious, but this staff has a plan. They may hit some bumps in the road, but we're on our way to being a consistently solid program

I can see that.  They're making tons of moves right off the bat.  Recruiting different style of players totally and guys that don't fit well like Adonis are transferring.  Both forwards we just grabbed can shoot well, and we grabbed a big and pretty well rounded center.  I like the type of guys they are going after so far and balancing out roster from day 1.  The bumps in the road are mainly that this roster is almost bare except for 3-4 guys, and they got a very late recruiting start.  I have very little concern about our trajectory at this point thoigh. 

Most importantly they are trying to balance classes. i know it's different now but Looie always recruited in 2 yr cycles never leaving himself shorthanded when seniors graduated.
Yeah Lou and ever other coach not named Steve Lavin.  :)

Poison

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2015, 04:28:25 AM »
only other person I'd like to leave is Amar...he was useless. I know a lot of you like him here...but he was crap.

And now that we have a new coach, let's pay close attention to what our returning players are doing over the summer. Amar has some skills. Decent rebounder, his shot from 3 didn't go in very often, but maybe with an adjustment or two, he can improve.

I don't think it's ever right for us to chase a kid out who is trying. If he's not going to get minutes, it's fair to tell the kid that Iona is exit 16 off the hutch north. But, Amar hustles, and he did have a several moments, and when I say moments, I mean he scored 6 points and had 5 rebounds. I think maybe he did that twice.

He's a legit 6'11, and a kid that hopefully will learn a lot from Mullin.

« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2015, 06:04:19 AM »
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.

Johnny23

« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2015, 06:38:44 AM »

And now that we have a new coach, let's pay close attention to what our returning players are doing over the summer. Amar has some skills. Decent rebounder, his shot from 3 didn't go in very often, but maybe with an adjustment or two, he can improve.

I don't think it's ever right for us to chase a kid out who is trying. If he's not going to get minutes, it's fair to tell the kid that Iona is exit 16 off the hutch north. But, Amar hustles, and he did have a several moments, and when I say moments, I mean he scored 6 points and had 5 rebounds. I think maybe he did that twice.

He's a legit 6'11, and a kid that hopefully will learn a lot from Mullin.

I am hoping Amar could be a good bench role player for the final 3 years here. I noticed the more he played throughout the year the more physical and scrappy he was. The kid's foot speed needs to improve greatly on defense. Typical Euro struggle there. Amar is not 6'11, he's a true 6'9 though.

LoganK

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.
Delusional?  I must've missed a day of meds....There is an adjustment period for most freshman, especially those not used to the US style of play.  Amar showed in a few small spurts that he has the potential to be an effective player.  No one here is claiming he is going to be All-Big East this year (or even as a senior).  Obviously he needs to improve many parts of his game, but many of us are able to see the potential.  That does not make us delusional.  Assuming a freshman year can unequivocally dictate the remainder of one's career is asinine, I feel.

Wods317

« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »
Delusional?  I must've missed a day of meds....There is an adjustment period for most freshman, especially those not used to the US style of play.  Amar showed in a few small spurts that he has the potential to be an effective player.  No one here is claiming he is going to be All-Big East this year (or even as a senior).  Obviously he needs to improve many parts of his game, but many of us are able to see the potential.  That does not make us delusional.  Assuming a freshman year can unequivocally dictate the remainder of one's career is asinine, I feel.
Too judge that a kid cannot play at like level after he played like 5 minutes a game his freshman year is ridiculous. Do I think there is a chance that AA never is valuable contributor to this team? Yea I could see that because he seems to have holes in his game. You also can't teach size and for a big guy he has a decent touch from outside. Granted he is a little slow and fouls way too much but that doesn't mean he can't improve in those categories. I think it's this one and done thing that makes people have these expectations for kids as freshman. Most kids don't show up to college as freshman as finished products. Give him time to work on his game and by next year or the year after you never know you could have a nice bench piece who can grab some boards and hit a few 3s
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:43:44 AM by Wods317 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »
By watching the Duke St. John's game, did you think grayson allen would ever be good enough to lead an offensive comeback in a national championship game...let alone as a frosh?

Did you think based on watchin Dom pointer last year he'd be on an all big east team this year...let alone possibly deserving of player of the year?

More experience, more practice, more minutes, more confidence and amar could look very very different.
"I drink and I know things"

sju89tr

« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2015, 08:41:59 AM »
I don't know why some are hating on Amar. He will be a serviceable rotation guy the next three years. Needs to work on defense and his footwork but he will get better shooting the 3 and on the boards. Solid kid too. Every team needs guys like him.

« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
I think amar could be a useful bench player by junior year. I also don't think he is too slow at his size, I think his lack of quickness was more an issue of being tentative because he didn't know where to be.

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
After this summer's AAU circuit, I believe keeping Amar on the roster will have the side benefit of helping with cousin Denis' recruitment.

Denis is going to light it up this summer with a very good Mac Irvin Fire (Squad - lol) team.

I'm giving the book it mush call...

« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
Yes, Amar was a step slow last year compared to Seniors (who had played together for 3 years already). If he puts in the work he could give us some good minutes. And when you add in that he has a cousin that looks like a nice player, I don't see why you would even think about getting rid of him.

« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
Yes, Amar was a step slow last year compared to Seniors (who had played together for 3 years already). If he puts in the work he could give us some good minutes. And when you add in that he has a cousin that looks like a nice player, I don't see why you would even think about getting rid of him.
At least two of us like the bonus Denis angle

TONYD3

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
A step slow in basketball is really slow.

« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
A step slow in basketball is really slow.

Tough crowd

« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
Amar has a lot of work to do.  Positives..He was a good screener and appears to have a good stroke.  He was an okay rebounder.  Negatives...not a good defender...can't finish near the rim...had trouble catching passes near the rim.  Ceiling is possible solid role player 2nd big guy off the bench.  Hopefully he can beat my expectations.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
Just remembered - Denis is playing on the Bosnian U18 National team this summer.  That probably will be a bit better for him than playing AAU circuit, just less in the bball public eye. 

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »

This is straightup bullsh*t. Talented or not, how could you want a kid that busted his ass to leave? The Ukranian kid from Kansas has similar stats and he is projected as the #15 pick.  It's a tough transition from Europe to high-major US college ball for anyone. Bigs take longer...look at Kaminsky's stats first two seasons...same as a frosh as Amar.

I can't wait for this kid to blowup second half next season under some real coaching and you'll see what floor-spacing does for a 6'9 240 Linder that can handle, passs, and shoot like Amar.