Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #1040 on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:17 AM »
He's saying Mas out recruited Lavin.

Poison

« Reply #1041 on: March 22, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »
Mass may have out recruited Lavin, but is he glad that he did? When Jones ended up at Iona instead of St.John's, that one was a tough loss, but Lawrence is practically invisible.

redslope

« Reply #1042 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:39 AM »
Boo I've heard the same on Archie but not with Danny. You guys think Danny would not view SJU as a long term job?

Dave - Any idea on why Repole prefers Mass?

St. John's didn't get Jermaine Lawrence and Manhattan did.

Isn't that a good thing? From what I've seen from Lawrence, he's outclassed in the MAAC. He should have gone to St.Francis.

I don't think you understand. Think about what I said some more.

You're right, I don't think I do. Are you trying to say that Massiello picked a bad apple?
He had enough swagger to pull a former 5 star to the Bronx even though a high major that formerly recruited him couldn't get him back.
5 Star should be better able to score more than 5PT/2R's a game in the MAAC--maybe there is a reason he went to MC--did not click at Cin in the AAC.  Don't understand the love affair with Massiello--look at the whole body of work NON MAAC record/3rd place in MAAC and loss to under 500 team in NCAA.  He would be a step backwards not an improvement.  If he can't beat Hampton, how will he compete in BE.  Another Willard--if that is what you.  I do not.

« Reply #1043 on: March 22, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »
Agree redslope. Mediocre year at best, lost to under five hundred Hampton from lesser conference in a 16 seed game. At least last year his star shown brighter, well until the transcript fiasco.

« Reply #1044 on: March 22, 2015, 12:39:24 AM »
Boo I've heard the same on Archie but not with Danny. You guys think Danny would not view SJU as a long term job?

Isn't that a good thing? From what I've seen from Lawrence, he's outclassed in the MAAC. He should have gone to St.Francis.

You're right, I don't think I do. Are you trying to say that Massiello picked a bad apple?
He had enough swagger to pull a former 5 star to the Bronx even though a high major that formerly recruited him couldn't get him back.
5 Star should be better able to score more than 5PT/2R's a game in the MAAC--maybe there is a reason he went to MC--did not click at Cin in the AAC.  Don't understand the love affair with Massiello--look at the whole body of work NON MAAC record/3rd place in MAAC and loss to under 500 team in NCAA.  He would be a step backwards not an improvement.  If he can't beat Hampton, how will he compete in BE.  Another Willard--if that is what you.  I do not.
We're side tracked.  Going back to Dave's discussion, this was about just why Repole might be behind a push for Mas. This isn't about the statistical/record facts you presented, which might be more important to us rather than him.

« Reply #1045 on: March 22, 2015, 12:40:36 AM »

"Look at the whole body of work" ......exactly.  Are we doing that with Lavin?

« Reply #1046 on: March 22, 2015, 12:44:08 AM »
If that is the case than MR isn't as sharp as we all think he is because he should consider redslopes points. However, I doubt that is the case as successful as he is I am sure he is very smart. Maybe he thought that way when Mas first beat us out for Lawrence but with the benefit of hind sight maybe he changed his mind.

Marillac

« Reply #1047 on: March 22, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »
I'm close with all the Hurley's and I like Bobby a lot but he hasn't proven a thing yet.

To say Bobby Hurley hasn't proven enough is debatable, but to say that Hurley hasn't "proven a thing" is just foolish and flat out false.

Two years ago, I would have agreed with you.  Hell, after last season I might have agreed with you, but he made the dance and his team played a five seed down to the last seconds.  They showed more fight than we did against an eight seed.  His Buffalo team was beating undefeated soon-to-be national champion, Kentucky, by five at the half in Lexington and they were up on Wisconsin in Madison at the half as well.

Bobby took over for a fired coach that won only 14 games prior.  He signed a guy in a matter of days that won the MAC Player of the year this year.  He signed a dynamic point guard in his first month that just averaged 15.4 and 4.6 and dropped 15 on West Virginia.  He followed that up by signing a fantastic freshman PG this past season that can play in the Big East and went for 8 and 6 against WV. 

This year he signed a top Juco prospect from Midland and a former top 75 recruit--to SUNY BUFFALO--a team that never danced before Hurley took over.  His credibility among high school guards is out of this world.  He would have landed IB if he were here...no doubt in my mind.

Is there a risk with taking a guy that essentially was only a co-head coach for three years and a head coach in the MAC for just two years?  Sure.  But, unlike Norm Roberts, everything in this guy's past suggests he will excel here.

How many winning seasons in the MAC would Bobby have to have for you  think he has accomplished something? Because Buffalo is going to win 30 games next season, and then it will be too late. 

He's proven he can identify and develop talent.  He's proven he can recruit transfers.  He's proven he can recruit JUCOs.  He's proven he's a strong x's and o's coach.  He's proven he can game plan.  He's proven he can motivate his team.  He's proven he can rebuild a program. 

« Reply #1048 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:13 AM »
But can B Hurley use 3 metaphors every time he wants to make a point?  ;)

« Reply #1049 on: March 22, 2015, 01:25:53 AM »
read this, kind of funny. Its not just us. On the night of their embarrassing loss the Nova fans feel the same way alot of us do about lavin and they go on to say " The Big East  needs SJU to be good."
https://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1159&tid=179629430&mid=179629430&sid=1000&style=2

Marillac

« Reply #1050 on: March 22, 2015, 01:35:33 AM »
read this, kind of funny. Its not just us. On the night of their embarrassing loss the Nova fans feel the same way alot of us do about lavin and they go on to say " The Big East  needs SJU to be good."
https://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1159&tid=179629430&mid=179629430&sid=1000&style=2

The Big East needs SJU, Nova, and Georgetown to be top 25 schools every year and for 3-4 others (Marquette, Xavier, Butler, SH) to make the dance most years.

« Reply #1051 on: March 22, 2015, 01:36:28 AM »
I just thought it was fitting because their fans feel the same way as ours about Lavin.

Marillac

« Reply #1052 on: March 22, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »
I just thought it was fitting because their fans feel the same way as ours about Lavin.

Sorry, missed that point.  Yeah, they all think we should hire Bobby Hurley :)  They all seem to think we had the most talented starting five and one poster went as far to say he felt bad for the kids that had to play for Lavin.

« Reply #1053 on: March 22, 2015, 03:02:55 AM »
::facepalm:: You guys don't get it.

I really can't spell it out more than I did.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1054 on: March 22, 2015, 03:06:02 AM »
Playing hypotheticals assuming you had to hire a new coach and I was running the show I wouldn't be looking at all these up and comers. I'd go out and lure Jim Calhoun out of retirement. Even if he coaches here for 3 years he'd have this place rolling.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Pete88

« Reply #1055 on: March 22, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »

Might be mistaken, but i think you are saying Repole helped Mas land Lawrence.

Pete88

« Reply #1056 on: March 22, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
Playing hypotheticals assuming you had to hire a new coach and I was running the show I wouldn't be looking at all these up and comers. I'd go out and lure Jim Calhoun out of retirement. Even if he coaches here for 3 years he'd have this place rolling.

As much as I don't like the guy, i agree that is the most logical way to go.  Up and comers fail more than succeed, just a fact.  Either replace Lavin with better or leave it alone.

LoganK

« Reply #1057 on: March 22, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »

If every student fails to see the lesson, it usually means it was the teacher's fault. 

Remember, if we were bright, we wouldn't be SJU fans.

« Reply #1058 on: March 22, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
I'm guessing Repole helped Massiello get Jermaine Lawrence with the expectation that it would help Massiello redeem himself and, thereby, put him in a position for the St. John's job.

« Reply #1059 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
so let me get this straight, Repole helps Manhattan get Lawrence to aid Masiello. Manhattan stands by Masiello during his transcript process and we potentially offer Masiello the SJU job and he accepts. Class guy!