Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Mike

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #1060 on: March 22, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
so let me get this straight, Repole helps Manhattan get Lawrence to aid Masiello. Manhattan stands by Masiello during his transcript process and we potentially offer Masiello the SJU job and he accepts. Class guy!

Oh please, so if your company helps you out but another company that is better and will pay you more offers you a job you will say no? Him moving on doesn't mean he has no class, so please stop with that stuff. 99% of the people would move on.

« Reply #1061 on: March 22, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
Playing hypotheticals assuming you had to hire a new coach and I was running the show I wouldn't be looking at all these up and comers. I'd go out and lure Jim Calhoun out of retirement. Even if he coaches here for 3 years he'd have this place rolling.
So only a pretty sure-fire game changer. Makes sense if you want certainty of avoiding another very rough patch.

To a large extent, Lavin has made the STJ job more desirable than it was during last Admins and turmoil. Hopefully, some stability occurs up top.

Moving forward, I hope whoever we have as AD can get on a run with a string of coaches like Xavier and Marquette have done the past 20 years.  Whether coaches can get along well with Prez/AD may determine the future as much as each coaching hire.

Foad

« Reply #1062 on: March 22, 2015, 09:46:49 AM »
Playing hypotheticals assuming you had to hire a new coach and I was running the show I wouldn't be looking at all these up and comers. I'd go out and lure Jim Calhoun out of retirement. Even if he coaches here for 3 years he'd have this place rolling.

You want to keep Lavin because he represents stability, but if you replace him you want a guy who's going to coach three years?

paultzman

« Reply #1063 on: March 22, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »

You want to keep Lavin because he represents stability, but if you replace him you want a guy who's going to coach three years?

Exhuming Red Holzman's body is probably next on the "Veterans" list. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:06:40 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #1064 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

I do. I was playing devils advocate.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #1065 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12:32 AM »
Lawrence went to Manhattan BECAUSE of Repole.  He's friends with Mas.  He is not a friend of this staff any longer, and hasn't been "helping" in recent years. 

And it's worth asking, if Lavin doesn't have the assist of people like Mike R,  how successful can he be recruiting in the future?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:24:53 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #1066 on: March 22, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »
What does Repole have to do with recruiting, if your running a clean program?

« Reply #1067 on: March 22, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
He is a major donor to the school.

« Reply #1068 on: March 22, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
He is a major donor to the school.

That doesn't answer the question of what he has to do with recruiting.

Poison

« Reply #1069 on: March 22, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
Gee, why would Repole have a problem with the job Lavin's done here? Just because Lavin has only won one BE tourney game, and zero NCAA tourney games is no reason not to be satisfied with s coach who's better than Norm Roberts.

I wonder how many BE coaches Lavin will be better than after Depaul hires Ben Howland?

TONYD3

« Reply #1070 on: March 22, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »
I hate jim Calhoun . Would be his biggest fan ever if he was hired. Not a home run. Walk off grand slam to win World Series home run. Then we get a young coach. Who has a chance.

redslope

« Reply #1071 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
I hate jim Calhoun . Would be his biggest fan ever if he was hired. Not a home run. Walk off grand slam to win World Series home run. Then we get a young coach. Who has a chance.
Would be the biggest mistake of as he is retired and would cash the checks but not put in the effort at this stage of his life

« Reply #1072 on: March 22, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
so let me get this straight, Repole helps Manhattan get Lawrence to aid Masiello. Manhattan stands by Masiello during his transcript process and we potentially offer Masiello the SJU job and he accepts. Class guy!

Oh please, so if your company helps you out but another company that is better and will pay you more offers you a job you will say no? Him moving on doesn't mean he has no class, so please stop with that stuff. 99% of the people would move on.

maybe that is true, but I wouldn't hire them and I know a lot of CEOs who wouldn't either.  Where would Massiello be without Manhattan this year? It would have been easy to let him go. I think Massiello owes Manhattan a few years.

desco80

« Reply #1073 on: March 22, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
Would be the biggest mistake of as he is retired and would cash the checks but not put in the effort at this stage of his life

One could argue Lavin has been doing some of that himself.

« Reply #1074 on: March 22, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »

What price glory?

« Reply #1075 on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:21 PM »
Looks like Howland is in line to take the Miss St.job. SJU better act quickly. Like tomorrow

« Reply #1076 on: March 22, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
Give Miller 2 per and he'll make up any deficit.

« Reply #1077 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »

One could argue Lavin has been doing some of that himself.

This is where you lose me and respect for your posts. Get a life and some respect for people. Don't think he is a good coach, fine. the personal stuff is BS

« Reply #1078 on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
Baldi don't think we want Howland.  No loss IMO.

« Reply #1079 on: March 22, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Baldi don't think we want Howland.  No loss IMO.

Oh hell no. But DePaul did. Now they will look into the same pool as us and they have a vacancy with a great new facility