Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #2500 on: February 07, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »
Marquette with their first road win in a year.   They've just beaten Seton Hall without, IMO, their best player in Matt Carlino. 
Glad for WoJo. SH better with Whitehead back or still adjusting while he gets to full speed?

« Reply #2501 on: February 07, 2015, 02:31:19 PM »
Marquette with their first road win in a year.   They've just beaten Seton Hall without, IMO, their best player in Matt Carlino. 
Glad for WoJo. SH better with Whitehead back or still adjusting while he gets to full speed?

Whitehead looked good in his first game after the injury.  I didn't see much of their game today, but I read he didn't play too well.  Quite a few of their fans aren't fond of Willard, either.

paultzman

« Reply #2502 on: February 07, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
No quit in Providence. Looked like Xavier was pulling away, but PC stays composed with Cooley having left the game. Chris Dunn is NBA ready or quite near that Imo.

« Reply #2503 on: February 07, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
No quit in Providence. Looked like Xavier was pulling away, but PC stays composed with Cooley having left the game. Chris Dunn is NBA ready or quite near that Imo.

Yep.  I think Kris Dunn is done at Providence after the season.

« Reply #2504 on: February 07, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
Dunn is going to be a first round pick and if Whitehead jumps I think he will too. Hope it happens because they are by far the two most annoying fan bases in the current Big East. Serious complexes because when they win they don't get much attention.

« Reply #2505 on: February 07, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Xavier holds of Prov and capped by a top 10  Sportscenter play of the day

« Reply #2506 on: February 07, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
Have a few buddies who are Seton Hall fans and they told me that there were all kinds of post game comments and tweets from Mobley and Whitehead alluding to locker room strife and in-fighting.  Can't find the quotes/tweets but it is funny how quickly this stuff takes a turn in an era of social media and increased media coverage.  And, by the way, the majority of the Seton Hall fans I know are not big fans of Willard.  I haven't been on their board at all but my guess is that it is probably a lot of anti-Willard chatter.

« Reply #2507 on: February 07, 2015, 11:20:19 PM »
Have a few buddies who are Seton Hall fans and they told me that there were all kinds of post game comments and tweets from Mobley and Whitehead alluding to locker room strife and in-fighting.  Can't find the quotes/tweets but it is funny how quickly this stuff takes a turn in an era of social media and increased media coverage.  And, by the way, the majority of the Seton Hall fans I know are not big fans of Willard.  I haven't been on their board at all but my guess is that it is probably a lot of anti-Willard chatter.
Willard wasn't adored by his previous schools fans either. Watching his style of play is like watching paint dry.

« Reply #2508 on: February 07, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »
Yea my friends who are Iona alums were kind of split on Willard.  Obviously they like Cluess much better and are paranoid that a bigger program might pick him off.  I've heard that he wants to remain in the area, and as I don't see St. John's hiring him (though I could be wrong), that would probably leave only Seton Hall as an option. 

Only Seton Hall fan on this site is PMG who thinks Willard is a very good X's and O's guy but weak as a recruiter (hence the Tiny, Antigua and Hill additions).

Moose

« Reply #2509 on: February 07, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
Yea my friends who are Iona alums were kind of split on Willard.  Obviously they like Cluess much better and are paranoid that a bigger program might pick him off.  I've heard that he wants to remain in the area, and as I don't see St. John's hiring him (though I could be wrong), that would probably leave only Seton Hall as an option. 

Only Seton Hall fan on this site is PMG who thinks Willard is a very good X's and O's guy but weak as a recruiter (hence the Tiny, Antigua and Hill additions).

Gotta watch out for Danny Hurley at Hall
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2510 on: February 07, 2015, 11:44:15 PM »
That would be a dynamite get for Seton Hall, and bad for SJU as he is one of the two or three guys I'd like to see coaching our squad if/when we part ways with Lavin. 

paultzman

« Reply #2511 on: February 08, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »

Yup & timing may work. Next year his Rhody team will probably reach a very high level & provide impetus for a better opportunity Imo.

« Reply #2512 on: February 08, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »

Would be more interested in SJU
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2513 on: February 08, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
For all the negativity around here, and trust me I'm the first to claim the season is over/Fire Lavin after a loss, we could be in worse shape. This conference is unpredictable and the standings are currently bunched up. Aside from Nova (8-2; loss @ msg) and Butler (8-3; swept us), we are in striking distance of every other team ahead of us in the standings. 2  games behind PC in the loss column for 3rd place and we already swept them so we have the tiebreaker. 1 game behind Georgetown with 2 games against them remaining. And even in the loss column with Davier, DePaul, and SH. IMO the biggest games left are the 4 with Gtown and Xaviera. A split of those games is a must.  Take care of business Wednesday though, hopefully that's the only thing the team is focused on. If we can finish in the top 5 of this conference we should be a lock to dance and that is certainly not out of reach. 

« Reply #2514 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
For all the negativity around here, and trust me I'm the first to claim the season is over/Fire Lavin after a loss, we could be in worse shape. This conference is unpredictable and the standings are currently bunched up. Aside from Nova (8-2; loss @ msg) and Butler (8-3; swept us), we are in striking distance of every other team ahead of us in the standings. 2  games behind PC in the loss column for 3rd place and we already swept them so we have the tiebreaker. 1 game behind Georgetown with 2 games against them remaining. And even in the loss column with Davier, DePaul, and SH. IMO the biggest games left are the 4 with Gtown and Xaviera. A split of those games is a must.  Take care of business Wednesday though, hopefully that's the only thing the team is focused on. If we can finish in the top 5 of this conference we should be a lock to dance and that is certainly not out of reach. 

I think you nailed it with top 5 finish. I think SJU still controls their own destiny. It's tough to swallow Butler loss at home, Creighton and DePaul losses on road. Take even 2 of those 3 games and the outlook is completely different.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2515 on: February 08, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
Take 2 of those and we are all talking about the tourney as an almost certainty right now. Unfortunately this team is all over the place.

Moose

« Reply #2516 on: February 08, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »

Would be more interested in SJU

I've heard Hall had his eye months back.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:07:19 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

LoganK

« Reply #2517 on: February 10, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »
Seton Hall loses again today to G'town.  That's three in a row and 6 of 8.  They're playing their way out of it.  That being said, if everyone were to return, they could be really good next year.

« Reply #2518 on: February 10, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »
http://www.iheart.com/live/WSOU-895-FM-5252/

Listening to Hall fans go crazy about Willard.

« Reply #2519 on: February 10, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »
Watched a lot of this game.  Hate to ready into body language but Gibbs was fighting with Willard and others at times, it seemed.  Whitehead didn't play well.  Delgado is a beast.