Around Big East

• 3954 replies

paultzman

Re: around the big east
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
King from ESPN today;

THOUGHTS FROM PRESS ROW
1. Add St. John's to the list of teams on the NCAA tournament bubble. Sunday's victory over Seton Hall was the fourth straight for Steve Lavin's squad, which is now 13-7

THOUGHTS FROM PRESS ROW
1. Add St. John's to the list of teams on the NCAA tournament bubble. Sunday's victory over Seton Hall was the fourth straight for Steve Lavin's squad, which is now 13-7 overall and 5-3 in league play.

Not bad for a team that entered 2013 toting losses to San Francisco and UNC-Asheville.

"It all started with the Notre Dame game," forward JaKarr Sampson said of his team's Jan. 15 win over the then-No. 20 Fighting Irish. "Things started to take off after that.

"Our chemistry is just so strong. Everyone on the team is finding ways to step up."

Shooting guard D.J. Harrison leads the Red Storm with 19.8 points per game, and freshman Chris Obekpa ranks second in the nation in blocks with 4.6. Lately, though, the 6-foot-8 Sampson has been one of the team's biggest threats. He's averaging 14.3 points on the season and 16.8 points during the Red Storm's current win streak. His 6.5 rebounds per game are a team high.

Sampson's college career was supposed to begin last season, but he was declared academically ineligible by the NCAA and returned to his prep school, Brewster (N.H.) Academy, for a post-graduate year.

"I was upset at first, because I was disappointed in myself," Sampson said. "But that year actually ended up helping me. I got stronger and improved my game to the point it's at today."

Sampson decommitted from St. John's last fall and took official visits to Kansas and Baylor. Eventually, though, he switched back to his original plan and renewed his pledge to the Red Storm.

"[Lavin] recruited me even harder the second time," Sampson said. "He was making more calls, coming to visit me more. I had developed such good relationships with all of the players and coaches. I realized this is where I wanted to be all along."

“@JasonKingESPN: ... Report Cards, an All-Mark Few team, thoughts on Oklahoma Joe's & @Whataburger, notes on St.Johns, Colorado & more http://t.co/7UipPz36
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:19:45 PM by paultzman »

boo3

« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
Lenn Robbins ‏@LennRobbins
St. John's and Syracuse agree to a home and home series starting next season. #stjbb

Poison

« Reply #462 on: January 30, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »
St. John's and Syracuse agree to a home and home series starting next season. #stjbb

Wonderful.

redslope

« Reply #463 on: January 30, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »

Wonderful.

mid December at the Garden then upstate next year

« Reply #464 on: January 30, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
Anything to get out of playing Iona!

desco80

« Reply #465 on: January 30, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »

To be the best you gotta beat the best.   
I've been consistently in favor of this since the leagues started breaking up.

And, I'll say this.... I don't know who has the first home game, but if our whole team returns and we add Lawrence, the home game against 'Cuse at MSG would easily be the highlight of the regular season for me.   
For the first time in a long time we wouldn't be bringing a knife to a gun fight.   

gman

« Reply #466 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »

I won't buy a ticket

« Reply #467 on: January 30, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Syracuse just wanted another in state non conference game. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #468 on: January 30, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
So cuse gets us 1 big OOC game. Need two more, I want duke, and a western school, my option is Gonzaga but would also like UCLA, or Zona.

desco80

« Reply #469 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
So cuse gets us 1 big OOC game. Need two more, I want duke, and a western school, my option is Gonzaga but would also like UCLA, or Zona.

Has it been announced if we're in an early season tournament next year?

boo3

« Reply #470 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

Haha..

redslope

« Reply #471 on: January 30, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »

watch your back--you have made Baldi's hit list ;D

« Reply #472 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

Not sure Desco. Would like to be part of the maui

Moose

« Reply #473 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:15 AM »

Not sure Desco. Would like to be part of the maui

Its been mentioned we are part of Maui and Atlantis but not next year.  I'm guessing NIT.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #474 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/76501/take-two-should-big-east-keep-its-name

Q: How many Big East teams remain from the first year the league began playing football in 1991?

A: One. Temple.

That, my friends, is exactly why the Big East should politely hand over its conference name to the breakaway hoops schools and start over. Because nothing in this current/future league iteration shouts Big East.

paultzman

« Reply #475 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
Bet he will be back for our game;

“@PSBasketball: James Southerland will miss Syracuse's next two games before his appeal is heard. http://t.co/xMe6SERs

Moose

« Reply #476 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
Bet he will be back for our game;

“@PSBasketball: James Southerland will miss Syracuse's next two games before his appeal is heard. http://t.co/xMe6SERs

But of course

« Reply #477 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »
If it is the same appeals board that ruled on Devendorf we're in trouble.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/suspension_of_sus_eric_devendo.html

paultzman

« Reply #478 on: January 31, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
Cooley sitting Council and Henton at start v. UConn tonight. Henton surprisingly has struggled this season. Am hoping Friars can knock off Huskies.

paultzman

« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »
“@NeillOstrout: #UConn 33, PC 32 at the half. Huskies squandered nearly all of that 15-point lead by the half.”

Council rallied team after sitting out ten minutes. Boatright of UConn seems to be struggling with knee problem. UConn  has no interior presence and rebounds poorly. All in all, I like our chances against them at MSG next week. If Boatright continues to struggle, I like us even better.