Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies

desco80

Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
Say what you want about Lavin but this team won 20+ games this year. This was the only year so far where we did not reach expectations. The school would be out of their mind to replace him for his first poor year (which like I said, was still a 20 win season)

Those 20wins don't mean what they used to.  For one, our regular season had 31 games instead of they usual 30.  But more importantly this was the easiest schedule a St. John's team has faced in a long time.   We had the 50th hardest schedule this year, in2010 we had the 7th, even last year the SOS was in the 20s.   I'm not interested in beating up on the conference, but that is a big difference.   

An extra game and a much easier schedule can hide a lot of warts. 

Point is even though we failed to meet expectations, we still had a pretty good record. This wasn't a 15-16 season. I know you are anti Lavin and I understand the issues with some of his deficiencies but you really think he deserves to be removed after his first underachieving season granted all the things he has done for this program?

You're right that it wasn't a terrible season.  We've seen much worse of course.  But I think we failed to meet expectations last year too.    And while normally just missing the tournament wouldn't be a huge failure, I'm concerned because I can't see how things can get any better.   I don't know when he'll ever have more talent and experience than he did this season. 
How often does a college team return all it's starters and depth and add a highly touted recruit to boot?    That's my thinking anyway. 

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

edit:   I'm as critical of the staff as anybody sometimes, but they didn't go 0-15.    Lavin has a lot of faults, but him and Chiles can recruit very well together.    They don't strikeout on an entire class.
Nobody's told me this but it seems pretty obvious they wanted to add or two pieces this year - probably were a little overconfident with Whitehead (and you can't blame them for not landing him), and then add a backup bigman to replace Gift/Sanchez.   
The problem with that strategy is they struck out on IW, and there's a chance they could lose CO.
That leaves us with ADR and being extremely young again in 2015.      I blame coach for how he approached this recruiting cycle, but I don't believe for a second he struck out on 15 recruits.   I think he only had 3 or 4 actual targets.

You're right, I think it was 0-14 but it was well documented.  There were kids we lost to Baylor, SMU, Syracuse, Ciccinatti etc. etc. etc.  I dint make this up at all.

No' it's not well documented.    Wainwright is playing for Baylor right now, same goes for Jermaine Lawrence the only recruit we've lost to Cinci.    Class of 2013 chief.
We did lose McCullough to Cuse, but he verbaled in December 2012, so he hasn't been available for 15 months so I can barely count him towards this cycle.
And we lost Whitehead.   For reasons well documented.

The staff only targeted a few players in this years class.   If you want to think they went 0-14, go ahead.   But you're wrong.   

Add Amir Jefferson of Duke who we lost and Ricardo Gathers of Baylor and countless more.  I know there are other posters on this site who may remember Lavins other misses, how about a hand here?   lol

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
Perhaps even a former NBA coach looking to get back into the college ranks.

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

Was hoping Mark Jackson?  But don't realistically think that will happen.

Metta World Peace said he would love to coach at SJU someday.

Sadly, even he would be an improvement over the present staff.

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »
Say what you want about Lavin but this team won 20+ games this year. This was the only year so far where we did not reach expectations. The school would be out of their mind to replace him for his first poor year (which like I said, was still a 20 win season)

Those 20wins don't mean what they used to.  For one, our regular season had 31 games instead of they usual 30.  But more importantly this was the easiest schedule a St. John's team has faced in a long time.   We had the 50th hardest schedule this year, in2010 we had the 7th, even last year the SOS was in the 20s.   I'm not interested in beating up on the conference, but that is a big difference.   

Point is even though we failed to meet expectations, we still had a pretty good record. This wasn't a 15-16 season. I know you are anti Lavin and I understand the issues with some of his deficiencies but you really think he deserves to be removed after his first underachieving season granted all the things he has done for this program?

You're right that it wasn't a terrible season.  We've seen much worse of course.  But I think we failed to meet expectations last year too.    And while normally just missing the tournament wouldn't be a huge failure, I'm concerned because I can't see how things can get any better.   I don't know when he'll ever have more talent and experience than he did this season. 
How often does a college team return all it's starters and depth and add a highly touted recruit to boot?    That's my thinking anyway. 

Fair points, respect your opinion. We'll just have to wait and see

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

edit:   I'm as critical of the staff as anybody sometimes, but they didn't go 0-15.    Lavin has a lot of faults, but him and Chiles can recruit very well together.    They don't strikeout on an entire class.
Nobody's told me this but it seems pretty obvious they wanted to add or two pieces this year - probably were a little overconfident with Whitehead (and you can't blame them for not landing him), and then add a backup bigman to replace Gift/Sanchez.   
The problem with that strategy is they struck out on IW, and there's a chance they could lose CO.
That leaves us with ADR and being extremely young again in 2015.      I blame coach for how he approached this recruiting cycle, but I don't believe for a second he struck out on 15 recruits.   I think he only had 3 or 4 actual targets.

You're right, I think it was 0-14 but it was well documented.  There were kids we lost to Baylor, SMU, Syracuse, Ciccinatti etc. etc. etc.  I dint make this up at all.

No' it's not well documented.    Wainwright is playing for Baylor right now, same goes for Jermaine Lawrence the only recruit we've lost to Cinci.    Class of 2013 chief.
We did lose McCullough to Cuse, but he verbaled in December 2012, so he hasn't been available for 15 months so I can barely count him towards this cycle.

The staff only targeted a few players in this years class.   If you want to think they went 0-14, go ahead.   But you're wrong.   

Add Amir Jefferson of Duke who we lost and Ricardo Gathers of Baylor and countless more.  I know there are other posters on this site who may remember Lavins other misses, how about a hand here?   lol

Yeah because no program ever misses a target. Also you are talking about a different class

« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »

Yeah because no program ever misses a target. Also you are talking about a different class

How about Jarell Martin on LSU?

Talking about players from the 12 and 13 class, but the great recruiter missed on every front court player he went after for the past two recruiting seasons

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »

How about Jarell Martin on LSU?

Talking about players from the 12 and 13 class, but the great recruiter missed on every front court player he went after for the past two recruiting seasons

One spot to fill in 2013. I think we did all right grabbing Rysheed Jordan. I may be wrong but the last time I checked this recruiting season wasn't over either.

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »

In the Norm days of mediocre expectations, this year would have been a resounding success but Coach Lavin came in talking National Championships and Big East Championships.  And the funniest thing about Lavin is that in his usual BS mode, HE CLAIMED ON THE FAN THAT HE HAD THREE STRAIGHT TOP 10 RECRUITING CLASSES (which we all know is BS) but if that were the case, then HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN AS A COACH OF THREE TOP 10 RECRUITING CLASSES THAT YOU DIDN'T MAKE THE DANCE? Its just unreal, the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

SJUFAN

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do......... some guys on this board must think we are Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Lav will be given the time to get it right and i think he deserves a little support. Getting a little bored coming to this site and reading the same old same old.

So you think that a big time GOOD coach would not consider an offer with Lavins current salary and playing at MSG? When are you all going to wake up?

Lavin wasn't the first, second, or third choice. So tell us why other "GOOD" coaches turned us down? Or are you even aware that they did?

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do......... some guys on this board must think we are Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Lav will be given the time to get it right and i think he deserves a little support. Getting a little bored coming to this site and reading the same old same old.

So you think that a big time GOOD coach would not consider an offer with Lavins current salary and playing at MSG? When are you all going to wake up?

Lavin wasn't the first, second, or third choice. So tell us why other "GOOD" coaches turned us down? Or are you even aware that they did?

I am more aware of more then you would think.  But I believe that at that particular time, there may have been less available coaches to take the job.  But I also believe that since St. John's has historically run its program as a small time mom and pop operation,with poor pay that many coaches may have steered clear of the NY media hassle for little compensation.  If the word got out that there was a $2,000,000 salary involved, which I believe is about what Lavin makes, we would have good choices.

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:25 PM »
We won 20 games. We're a 1 seed in the NIT which sucks because it means most likely one more regular season win would have put us in. We finished a little worse than I thought we would. Tied for 3rd in the BE.

Most don't think the NIT means much, but lets win the damn thing. It will give our guys confidence going into next year.

I wish the board would just come to terms that Lavin is our coach. Kind of silly all the complaining that is done about him. We finished a bit below expectations this year. If Norm EVER won 20 games here the majority of the fans would be calling for an extension. Tough bubble this year, I think most seasons we'd sneak in. Personally, I think we deserved a bid more than Nebraska or NC State, but no excuses as we controlled our own destiny against Providence.

Next year we should be better and if we fall short again, which is doubtful, then you can start discussing new head coaches. But, I think we'll be in, and probably a decent seed too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »

I am more aware of more then you would think.  But I believe that at that particular time, there may have been less available coaches to take the job.  But I also believe that since St. John's has historically run its program as a small time mom and pop operation,with poor pay that many coaches may have steered clear of the NY media hassle for little compensation.  If the word got out that there was a $2,000,000 salary involved, which I believe is about what Lavin makes, we would have good choices.

Coaches new what SJU was looking to spend, they turned it down. What you are failing to realize is the situation our program was in at the time. Other programs are just as good if not better and good coaches with track records don't need SJU when they are most likely already at establish places making similar if not more money. Before Lavin came here it was all over the media how SJU and MSG isn't an attractive selling point for recruits like it once was, since Lavin got here, that now all changed. It changed because of Lavin, like it or not, he changed the perception of the program. He alone brought credibility to the program. Although we haven't seen the success yet, the process is well underway. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »
For the past decade this program was a joke. We aspired to make the NIT and many years we were on the bubble for that. Have we forgot? Now we as fans are expecting to make the NCAA  tourney and if we don't, its a bad year. The staff deserves an extension, we are improving every year, they know what they are doing. 

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2014, 11:41:43 PM »
For the past decade this program was a joke. We aspired to make the NIT and many years we were on the bubble for that. Have we forgot? Now we as fans are expecting to make the NCAA  tourney and if we don't, its a bad year. The staff deserves an extension, we are improving every year, they know what they are doing. 

Surprisingly, the majority of the fan base actually has forgotten how bad we were for the past decade. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the amount of hate for this regime.

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »

Surprisingly, the majority of the fan base actually has forgotten how bad we were for the past decade. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the amount of hate for this regime.

It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference.  And another thing I don't understand is that if you watch the team play game in and game out with no semblance of offensive structure, a lack of fundamentals , which many love to blame on player IQ ( which is nonsense), and just overall team chemistry ( players sulking on the bench, others refusing to go in) and an obvious poor use of team personnel ( note Max and Marco), how do you justify the continuance of the Lavin experiment?   

The one good thing, perhaps, is that since it us quite obvious that Lavin will need NBA all star talent to be successful it may keep the pressure on him to recruit high caliber HS players. The downside to that is if he does not, the party's over.

SJUFAN

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference. 

So you believe that 25 years ago is a more accurate representation of the state of the program as opposed to the prior 10 years of Lavin's hire? I think that says it all about your ability to look at things rationally.

The one good thing, perhaps, is that since it us quite obvious that Lavin will need NBA all star talent to be successful it may keep the pressure on him to recruit high caliber HS players. The downside to that is if he does not, the party's over.

So remind me I forgot, exactly how many NBA all star talent players were on the team Lavin's first year here when he brought us to the NCAA tourney for the first time in a decade?

« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »

It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference.  And another thing I don't understand is that if you watch the team play game in and game out with no semblance of offensive structure, a lack of fundamentals , which many love to blame on player IQ ( which is nonsense), and just overall team chemistry ( players sulking on the bench, others refusing to go in) and an obvious poor use of team personnel ( note Max and Marco), how do you justify the continuance of the Lavin experiment?   

Because:

1. To expect any coach to be as successful as Louie is not realistic.

2. College basketball has changed a lot since the Louie days.

3. We were a dead program. Jarvis/Roberts took us completely off the map. To have expected Lavin to snap his fingers and make us a consistent tournament team was unrealistic.

It's also funny to me that there are little to no complaints about the offensive structure when we win. The offense looks great when we win! Although it doesn't really change much, it's all about execution. There were little to no complaints about it in Lavin's first season.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:13:20 AM by redstorm212 »

Foad

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:20 AM »
3. We were a dead program. Jarvis/Roberts took us completely off the map. To have expected Lavin to snap his fingers and make us a consistent tournament team was unrealistic.

Norm makes the NIT: we're completely off the map.

Lavin makes the NIT: we're back baby!

derk

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
Bad things about this year.

0 - 5
Losing the Providence game.
No offensive system in place.
Still not a good shooting team
Terrible rebounding team
Help for the frontcourt is not yet on the way
No recruits coming in ( so far ) who can play in our top 8
Can't run a fastbreak.
Can't make layups.
Anything else ?

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
Bad things about this year.

0 - 5
Losing the Providence game.
No offensive system in place.
Still not a good shooting team
Terrible rebounding team
Help for the frontcourt is not yet on the way
No recruits coming in ( so far ) who can play in our top 8
Can't run a fastbreak.
Can't make layups.
Anything else ?