Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies
Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Seriously,  no sense in even debating this stuff, since most have their own warped reality on what is going on...  good lord..

Everything is a conspiracy, lol.

boo3

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
 I'm pretty sure Lavin had something to do with the missing Malaysian airliner also...

( patiently waits for witty comeback about how Lavin isn't smart enough to pull it off)

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure Lavin had something to do with the missing Malaysian airliner also...

( patiently waits for witty comeback about how Lavin isn't smart enough to pull it off)

Maybe he sent the pilot home for a few weeks mid flight?

goredmen

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »

Maybe he sent the pilot home for a few weeks mid flight?

And he put Hooper in instead

boo3

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »
 Regarding the " taking 2014 recruiting season off"..  While the results aren't there, the fact remains, that STJ did, in fact, offer somewhere between 10-17 scholarships to the 2014 class, the majority of which, we know, were turned down..  So, the results can be criticized , for sure.. But to say no effort was made, is just a uneducated inference.

So again, another statement that just doesn't make sense....

But yeah...TRUTH!  Yay..

desco80

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »
Boo, most of those guys they offered committed a long long time ago.  McCullough was committed by January of LAST year.  Whitehead committed in what,  September?     Since then who has the staff gone to seen?

Granted, you don't always know.   But over 7 months you can get a sense of who a staff is recruiting when they repeatedly go to see different teams play.    Our staff has been to see Briscoe and Diallo and Jesse G etc.  all 2015 kids.

I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.   

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I don't know how you can offer spots that haven't opened up.  We have three slots opening up.  They really need to fill Gif and Sanchez's spots.  The Delarosa brothers may or may not do that.  At least we will be bigger inside.  Marco's spot may be filled by Lipscomb.  We'll see.

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
What will change? Where are the recruits?

1 NCAA appearance with Norms players. 
Lavin can recruit but can't do anything with the talent.
Player after player taking weeks off in the middle of the season for questionable reasons
Where is Felix?
Obekpa regressing and talking about the D league
Starting little used walk on in crucial games

They don't deserve an extension PERIOD.  Someone posted tester day that Lavin (in 4 years had a losing record in the Big East)  If you factor in the great first year and this year against a week Big East, then how does that deserve an extension?  But you know the dopes on the committee will do it cause its easier to keep the status quo then to make the change.  In a couple of years from now when we are Big East Cellar Dwellers, you will all realize that not making the change wasted many more years of real basketball at SJU.

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.

« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2014, 07:10:38 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do......... some guys on this board must think we are Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Lav will be given the time to get it right and i think he deserves a little support. Getting a little bored coming to this site and reading the same old same old.

« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do......... some guys on this board must think we are Duke, Kentucky or Carolina. Lav will be given the time to get it right and i think he deserves a little support. Getting a little bored coming to this site and reading the same old same old.

So you think that a big time GOOD coach would not consider an offer with Lavins current salary and playing at MSG? When are you all going to wake up?

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.
[/quote]

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

[/quote]

Very easy to defend Lavin against these type of nice personic posts.

desco80

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do.........

That sounds like a great idea to me.    What do we have to lose?

desco80

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

edit:   I'm as critical of the staff as anybody sometimes, but they didn't go 0-15.    Lavin has a lot of faults, but him and Chiles can recruit very well together.    They don't strikeout on an entire class.
Nobody's told me this but it seems pretty obvious they wanted to add or two pieces this year - probably were a little overconfident with Whitehead (and you can't blame them for not landing him), and then add a backup bigman to replace Gift/Sanchez.   
The problem with that strategy is they struck out on IW, and there's a chance they could lose CO.
That leaves us with ADR and being extremely young again in 2015.      I blame coach for how he approached this recruiting cycle, but I don't believe for a second he struck out on 15 recruits.   I think he only had 3 or 4 actual targets.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:26:44 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2014, 07:24:40 PM »

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.   

Loony?  I think when all is said and done, those who understand the game and the situation will realize that my rants have been as many posters like to say, "spot on"  I was one of the first on this site to question what was going on with recruiting as we were missing out on one recruit after another these past two years but the Koolaid drinkers kept stating that we had no schollies available and Lavinn really didn't want this kid or that kid when in fact they were in hot pursuit of many.  Then Moose started to say the same thing and people listened.  Realistically, I don't care who gets credit for it as long as the word gets out there.

boo3

« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do.........

He was being sarcastic....you knew that,  right?

I'm surprised how many are willing ( besides the lunatic fringe) to blow it all up after Lavins 4th season, which, lets  be honest, has seen moderate improvement each season (after season 1 with all the seniors, but we aren't giving Lavin credit for that anyway, right?))  Before everyone jumps down my throat, that isn't just my opinion.. It's a fact, based on wins, standings in the BE.

Everyone expected to be in the NCAA this season. Yes, it is a disappointment, but blow it up, for a mid-major coach?    Who, may I ask?  You guys do realize that the mid-major guys that have made the jump recently haven't exactly had high success rate..  Also, you guy really trust the powers that be to hire the right guy?  What happens after a couple of years if we still stink?  Blow it up again?  Sounds fun. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:30:31 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »

I'm surprised how many are willing ( besides the lunatic fringe) to blow it all up after Lavins 4th season, which, lets  be honest, has seen moderate improvement each season (after season 1 with all the seniors, but we aren't giving Lavin credit for that anyway, right?))  Before everyone jumps down my throat, that isn't just my opinion.. It's a fact, based on wins, standings in the BE.

Everyone expected to be in the NCAA this season. Yes, it is a disappointment, but blow it up, for a mid-major coach?    Who, may I ask?  You guys do realize that the mid-major guys that have made the jump recently haven't exactly had high success rate..  Also, you guy really trust the powers that be to hire the right guy?  What happens after a couple of years if we still stink?  Blow it up again?  Sounds fun. 

Agree with the stupidity of the powers that be selecting a good candidate.  after all they did pick Norm Roberts and now Lavin.  However,  I once again think that with the kind of money that SJU is throwing around, we may surely get more then some mid major guy.  Perhaps even a former NBA coach looking to get back into the college ranks. And let me ask you this Boo, when do you think that Lavins team will even be as competitive as they were this year?  Next year?  The year after with at best a top flight 2015 class?  the year after.  I think that we don't lose anything by dumping this guy now as if not we are just prolonging the inevitable as we saw with Mr. Roberts.  Hey some of us oldsters would like to be around when St. John's finally gets it right.

In terms of Lavins team getting better?  If we were in the same Big East as last year, would the record really be any better.  Please compare apples to apples.

« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »

Agree with the stupidity of the powers that be selecting a good candidate.  after all they did pick Norm Roberts and now Lavin.  However,  I once again think that with the kind of money that SJU is throwing around, we may surely get more then some mid major guy.  Perhaps even a former NBA coach looking to get back into the college ranks. And let me ask you this Boo, when do you think that Lavins team will even be as competitive as they were this year?  Next year?  The year after with at best a top flight 2015 class?  the year after.  I think that we don't lose anything by dumping this guy now as if not we are just prolonging the inevitable as we saw with Mr. Roberts.  Hey some of us oldsters would like to be around when St. John's finally gets it right.

In terms of Lavins team getting better?  If we were in the same Big East as last year, would the record really be any better.  Please compare apples to apples.
weren't you Pro Lavin when he got hired ?

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

weren't you Pro Lavin when he got hired ?

Yes I was but they were running a sale on Koolaid then.  It was buy two and get 10 free I believe.  :-)