Khadeen Carrington - SG - Bishop Loughlin HS - Brooklyn, NY - SETON HALL

• 420 replies

Chilleb

Re: Khadeen Carrington - SG - Bishop Loughlin HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
We haven't .. Unless its a secret..  Iowa state was his first official offer.

Then this staff sucks.  I've had enough of their antics.

Lol. I didn't mean it to down the staff.. I love the job that they have done so far..  Nothing wrong with offering a slam dunk recruit early however.  Some like him better than Whitehead.

As I think you know the staff is very high on Whitehead.  If they play a similar game and staff is high on one then yes they might be putting all their eggs in one basket but also explains why it might be the case.

2 totally different players, carrington plays with more agression and heart, whitehead with more flash. Edge to whitehead for me but tell me in not the only one who's tired of the kilpatricks, Durand Scott's, landesbergs  etc getting away.

Might have different characteristics however they play the same position more or less.  I know you love your NYC guys but all indications point to years like 13, 14, etc being 2-3 ships.  Can't get every single NYC player.  14 might be a year for a PG, add Whitehead and McCullough and you don't have room for Carrington and whoever else might be part of that class.
I'm totally in favor of one or the other , not really that big on carrington yet I think whiteheads our guy. Was implying they play 2 different styles not that we should take both. IMO although I think we're gonna land whitehead I think jarred Terrell's ceiling is a bit higher. When carrington shows me he can go right I will re-evaluate.

ris

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
Can't get every single NYC player. 

True, but tell me, how many players from New York are going to play next season at St. John´s?

Moose

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:34 AM »

True, but tell me, how many players from New York are going to play next season at St. John´s?

Oy vey
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »
We haven't .. Unless its a secret..  Iowa state was his first official offer.

Then this staff sucks.  I've had enough of their antics.

Lol. I didn't mean it to down the staff.. I love the job that they have done so far..  Nothing wrong with offering a slam dunk recruit early however.  Some like him better than Whitehead.

As I think you know the staff is very high on Whitehead.  If they play a similar game and staff is high on one then yes they might be putting all their eggs in one basket but also explains why it might be the case.

2 totally different players, carrington plays with more agression and heart, whitehead with more flash. Edge to whitehead for me but tell me in not the only one who's tired of the kilpatricks, Durand Scott's, landesbergs  etc getting away.

Might have different characteristics however they play the same position more or less.  I know you love your NYC guys but all indications point to years like 13, 14, etc being 2-3 ships.  Can't get every single NYC player.  14 might be a year for a PG, add Whitehead and McCullough and you don't have room for Carrington and whoever else might be part of that class.
2014 has to be McCullough (or a Stanley Johnson for example) Whitehead and a top PG (many around the country) That will be the staff's primary targets

In 2013 we are probably realistically looking at maybe 5 players 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:16:39 AM by sju89tr »

ris

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »

Oy vey

In three classes (2010, 2011 and 2012) Coach Lavin has had real interest in only two NY/NJ kids: Harkless and Anderson.
In 2011 he had no interest in Jabarie Hinds (who started as freshman in a NCAA Tournament team). In 2012 he had no interest in Omar Calhoun (Top 60 player), Melvin Johnson (Top 100) Dana Dingle (Top 150) or Kamari Murphy. We were not in the list of finalists of these four players.

Lavin is a very good recruiter, but it is evident that he feels much much more confortable with West players (remember Dwaye Polee) than NY/NJ players (Ronald Roberts).

I´ll answer my own question: there will be 1 player from New York, who was a former walkon.

Moose

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »

Oy vey

In three classes (2010, 2011 and 2012) Coach Lavin has had real interest in only two NY/NJ kids: Harkless and Anderson.
In 2011 he had no interest in Jabarie Hinds (who started as freshman in a NCAA Tournament team). In 2012 he had no interest in Omar Calhoun (Top 60 player), Melvin Johnson (Top 100) Dana Dingle (Top 150) or Kamari Murphy. We were not in the list of finalists of these four players.

Lavin is a very good recruiter, but it is evident that he feels much much more confortable with West players (remember Dwaye Polee) than NY/NJ players (Ronald Roberts).

I´ll answer my own question: there will be 1 player from New York, who was a former walkon.

Let me help you.

You cannot talk about 2010 with Lavin.  He took a job in April.
In 2011 he got THE BEST player in NYC in Moe who left early after being named BE ROY.
Any NY player under previous classes who was 'run off' you can say, sure makes sense when you consider what they are doing now (Stith, Omari).

Do you ever think to yourself that kids don't want to stay in NY?  I think some ppl feel holier than thou and we are STJ and we should get any NYC kid.  Some don't want to stay in NY area.  Some want to go away whether its Miami, Philadelphia, or the sticks of CT.

I don't want a team stacked with NYC players.  Because NYC ball isn't what it used to be.  I want THE BEST NYC player each year seriously considering STJ.  We did that in 11, we didn't in 12 (by the way think Omar Calhoun, his Pops, and other NYC recruits might have been turned off by Omar following a massive 9 man class thinking he wouldnt' see PT) and we're def on our way in 13 with Lawrence and 14 with Whitehead and McCullough.

But keep on keeping on complaining that NYC players are leaving in droves.

sju89tr

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »

Oy vey

Let me help you.

In 2011 he got THE BEST player in NYC in Moe who left early after being named BE ROY.
Any NY player under previous classes who was 'run off' you can say, sure makes sense when you consider what they are doing now (Stith, Omari).

Do you ever think to yourself that kids don't want to stay in NY?  I think some ppl feel holier than thou and we are STJ and we should get any NYC kid.  Some don't want to stay in NY area.  Some want to go away whether its Miami, Philadelphia, or the sticks of CT.

I don't want a team stacked with NYC players.  Because NYC ball isn't what it used to be.  I want THE BEST NYC player each year seriously considering STJ.  We did that in 11, we didn't in 12 (by the way think Omar Calhoun, his Pops, and other NYC recruits might have been turned off by Omar following a massive 9 man class thinking he wouldnt' see PT) and we're def on our way in 13 with Lawrence and 14 with Whitehead and McCullough.

Moose I agree, its not the 80's anymore.
Kids do so much travelling on the AAU circuit these days and get to see the country and everything that a place like Tennessee for example can offer in terms of a campus life. It is so much different than NY in places like Kansas, No Carolina etc. We think those place stink but to the kids it offers so much more than the city.

However kids from Houston from example think the big apple is a great place and love the hustle of it all.

Lav will get his fair share from the city but I have no problem having him recruit the country.   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:35:33 AM by sju89tr »

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »

Oy vey

Let me help you.

Kids do so much travelling on the AAU circuit these days and get to see the country and everything that a place like Tennessee for example can offer in terms of a campus life. It is so much different than NY in places like Kansas, No Carolina etc. We think those place stink but to the kids it offers so much more than the city.

However kids from Houston from example think the big apple is a great place and love the hustle of it all.

Lav will get his fair share from the city but I have no problem having him recruit the country.   

And to boot those other places are playing Final Fours while we have sucked for the last decade.  Takes a certain few with the balls to take a leap of faith.  Moe did just that.  Omar Calhoun could have if he wanted.  (not that I like his game) But instead he chose to go to Uconn.  And now he won't even be eligible to play in the BE and NCAA tourney next year and Calhoun is teetering on retirement.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Think the fans of the schools in Florida are complaining they lost Austin Rivers to Duke?

Or the schools in Illinois complaining Anthony Davis went to Kentucky?

Or the schools in NJ, NY and PA complaining Kidd-Gilchrest went to Kentucky?

Or Missouri fans wondering why Brad Beal went to Florida?

Or schools in Indiana asking themselves why Teague went to Kentucky.

Thats the 2011 Rivals Top 5 all going out of state.  The first in state school choice that year was #12 Caldwell Pope staying Georgia.

Lets just get the best player in NYC that fits the roster we have.  Don't reach just to have NY written on the roster. 

sju89tr

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »

Oy vey

Let me help you.

And to boot those other places are playing Final Fours while we have sucked for the last decade.  Takes a certain few with the balls to take a leap of faith.  Moe did just that.  Omar Calhoun could have if he wanted.  (not that I like his game) But instead he chose to go to Uconn.  And now he won't even be eligible to play in the BE and NCAA tourney next year and Calhoun is teetering on retirement.

UCONN is possibly on the verge of a basketball change in history. Sometimes these things happen and then things are never the same. It is highly doubtful his successor will be as good as Calhoun is at everything and with the bad press last few years it may just never be the same in the near future 

Happy

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
I didn't mean to stir the pot with my Carrington comments... But I do agree with Moose about hopefully hand picking the best of NYC every year and that's it.  You just can't build a team of local players just because they are local.  No big time program does that and neither should we.. It would be great to have a team of local players.. But NYC basketball isn't like it used to be.  I for one would like us to get stronger in Jersey.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
I didn't mean to stir the pot with my Carrington comments... But I do agree with Moose about hopefully hand picking the best of NYC every year and that's it.  You just can't build a team of local players just because they are local.  No big time program does that and neither should we.. It would be great to have a team of local players.. But NYC basketball isn't like it used to be.  I for one would like us to get stronger in Jersey.

Look what you started! :)

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Providence, Miami and Oklahoma State are all very interested in Bishop Loughlin sophomore Khadeen Carrington, per @HarlemCW1LL. #boyshoops”

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
Rivals.com story:

That belief has extended beyond high school, especially with regard to Carrington. "He's getting looks from St. John's, Rutgers and Texas Tech," said Coach Gonzalez.

Currently, the rising junior is playing AAU basketball with the NY Lightning. According to Lightning coach Chris Williams, Carrington has already picked up offers from South Carolina, Iowa State DePaul and Boston College.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1358321

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
I don't want a team stacked with NYC players.  Because NYC ball isn't what it used to be.

This statement is a little off base. The talent level of young players being developed in NYC is as good as it has ever been but the problem is that these kids are leaving the area before they graduate or gain big national exposure. The reasons they leave vary but the fact remains that a lot of kids that are truly from NYC are not being looked at as NYC kids because they don't finish high school here.

Moose

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »
I don't want a team stacked with NYC players.  Because NYC ball isn't what it used to be.

This statement is a little off base. The talent level of young players being developed in NYC is as good as it has ever been but the problem is that these kids are leaving the area before they graduate or gain big national exposure. The reasons they leave vary but the fact remains that a lot of kids that are truly from NYC are not being looked at as NYC kids because they don't finish high school here.

Thanks for dragging up a quote from a month ago :)
The statement isn't off base though, because your caveat was exactly what was considered when I made it. 
These kids are not staying in NY anymore, so therefore I don't see the need that some here go gaga over any kid from a PSAL and CHSAA school when meanwhile most of the good ones are long gone.

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Oy vey

Good post.  It's illogical to say that there are no more good players in any area of the the country particularly New York.  Unfortunately the Metro area is loaded with street agents,hungry coaches and AAU gurus who make recruiting here a PIA. Jarvis was right in that contention and Lavin has taken the path of least resistance and probably can't offer what the deep pocketed rural schools can for their imported talent.  The out of towners have no choice but to sweeten their deals.  My guess is that NYC per se isn't that big a factor. It's also a big selling point for kids from the country. At least as attractive as the halcyon campus life at a Tenn. which the players really can't enjoy to begin with.  Right now we're a 13 win team with coach who wasn't on the scene last year so we're very lucky to get what we've got.  When we get a couple of NCAA appearances under our belt NYC will reopen for us.  Meanwhile I think having kids who want to be in the Apple is a good thing regardless of their roots and rankings.     

Moose

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »

Oy vey

Good post.  It's illogical to say that there are no more good players in any area of the the country particularly New York.  Unfortunately the Metro area is loaded with street agents,hungry coaches and AAU gurus who make recruiting here a PIA. Jarvis was right in that contention and Lavin has taken the path of least resistance and probably can't offer what the deep pocketed rural schools can for their imported talent.  The out of towners have no choice but to sweeten their deals.  My guess is that NYC per se isn't that big a factor. It's also a big selling point for kids from the country. At least as attractive as the halcyon campus life at a Tenn. which the players really can't enjoy to begin with.  Right now we're a 13 win team with coach who wasn't on the scene last year so we're very lucky to get what we've got.  When we get a couple of NCAA appearances under our belt NYC will reopen for us.  Meanwhile I think having kids who want to be in the Apple is a good thing regardless of their roots and rankings.     

You continue to amaze me.  One post at a time.

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
Amaze or amuse?

Moose