Carlos Morris - SG - Chipola CC - Jacksonville, FL - MINNESOTA

• 131 replies

PIB

Re: Carlos Morris - SG - Arlington Country Day - Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
A friend of mine that follows HSBB in Florida had this to say about Carlos Morris when I suggested that some think that he is/could be the true gem of the class (not sure which one of you mentioned it, btw):

"I don't know if I would call him the true gem of the class, but he has a TON of upside. He is one of those rare guys who has the ability shoot pretty consistently from three and get to the rim, but also be a decent defender all the way out to three. He can be very explosive with the ball but really needs to learn a bit on defense as well as enhancing his shot creation. Don't think he is better than Graham at this point (I think Graham can come in and make an immediate impact at most D1 schools) but I do think he has the potential to be as good."

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
Like SJU79 said there is a lot of recruiting stuff that isn't out there. Morris is one of those guys. He's an athletic uptempo player, very physical, and has some real good skills. He plays with Torian Graham who has more hype surrounding him but Morris is the true gem of that team. A really good unsigned player right now who is attractive due to his athletic ability and upside.

Not only an excellent athlete but has a great shooting stroke.  Exactly the type of kid we need to add to this team team.  Defense can be taught if the kid has the athleticism.  Nobody is going to come in here and play lazy defense.  Kid looks like he has all the tools.  This is one I hope we land.  He fills that "shooter" role, but with much ore upside than some of these marginal athletes that don't fit our style.  If we land one kid like this, we have Branch and our "shooter".  A few bigger bodies for the frontcourt and we're rocking next season IMO.

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Like SJU79 said there is a lot of recruiting stuff that isn't out there. Morris is one of those guys. He's an athletic uptempo player, very physical, and has some real good skills. He plays with Torian Graham who has more hype surrounding him but Morris is the true gem of that team. A really good unsigned player right now who is attractive due to his athletic ability and upside.

Not only an excellent athlete but has a great shooting stroke.  Exactly the type of kid we need to add to this team team.  Defense can be taught if the kid has the athleticism.  Nobody is going to come in here and play lazy defense.  Kid looks like he has all the tools.  This is one I hope we land.  He fills that "shooter" role, but with much ore upside than some of these marginal athletes that don't fit our style.  If we land one kid like this, we have Branch and our "shooter".  A few bigger bodies for the frontcourt and we're rocking next season IMO.

A friend compared him to former UCONN player Rudy Johnson of the mid 90's, he was a good role player. I like that comparison.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »

He looks like a very average athlete, but one with amazing size and a great stroke.  I like his handle for his size and his ability to get to the rim.  I hope he can defend because that will really be huge in how far he'll go.  He just doesn't look like a great athlete to me.

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »

He looks like a very average athlete, but one with amazing size and a great stroke.  I like his handle for his size and his ability to get to the rim.  I hope he can defend because that will really be huge in how far he'll go.  He just doesn't look like a great athlete to me.

I think he's a pretty good athlete.  I just think he loafs on defense a bit and is a bit like Moe in that he doesn't milk his athleticism to its fullest.  Then again, as D'Lo has taught us, it doesn't take a phenom athlete to be an amazing ball player.  Three of our best scorers ever in Barkley, Mullin, D'Lo are/were not supreme athletes.  That said, this kid seems like more than good enough as an athlete and an excellent shooter.  Take him.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »

I think he's a pretty good athlete.  I just think he loafs on defense a bit and is a bit like Moe in that he doesn't milk his athleticism to its fullest.  Then again, as D'Lo has taught us, it doesn't take a phenom athlete to be an amazing ball player.  Three of our best scorers ever in Barkley, Mullin, D'Lo are/were not supreme athletes.  That said, this kid seems like more than good enough as an athlete and an excellent shooter.  Take him.

I agree..take him in a heartbeat.  I also think he is ours and will be great in Lavin's half court offense.

Chilleb

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
Where have you found footage on this guy?

Moose

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »

Redmen.com thread on him has a video or two of him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »
Google

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »

Athlete? Who cares? If he can shoot, I'll take him. Ive never seen Carlos or Severe play, havent even looked at a Marillac 2 min clip. If they can put it in the hole, lets get them

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »

Athlete? Who cares? If he can shoot, I'll take him. Ive never seen Carlos or Severe play, havent even looked at a Marillac 2 min clip. If they can put it in the hole, lets get them

+1 Baldi

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »

+1 Baldi

Ricky Torres could shoot and put it in the hole.  AND he was NOT an athlete.  just b/c he can shoot doesn't mean anything.

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »

+1 Baldi

Ricky Torres could shoot and put it in the hole.  AND he was NOT an athlete.  just b/c he can shoot doesn't mean anything.

Torres have guys like Harrison,Harkless,Amir etc around him? How athletic is Steve Novak?

crgreen

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »

+1 Baldi

Torres have guys like Harrison,Harkless,Amir etc around him? How athletic is Steve Novak?

This is a Lavin team.  Proper question is how athletic is Jason Kapono, or Billy Knight.

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Will this kid want to come here with all the minutes D'lo eats up?

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »

Love your handle !

Moose

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

Isn't it supposed to be Schmuckboy?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »

He's locker room attendant at Seton Hall

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

Sorry, I flunked out of Hebrew school.

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

Sorry, I flunked out of Hebrew school.
As long as you understand we've got a thoroughbred coaching staff, and we're running with top-flite thoroughbreds now.  We're not some ordinary schmucks any more. lol