Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT - MARYLAND

• 147 replies
Re: Jordan Williams - PF - Torrington HS - Torrington, CT
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
If we wound up with the South Kent duo and Williams, it would be the most solid overall class of the Roberts era.

South Kent duo of Lawrence & Parrom plus Williams (& Stith) is one too many.

This would be the first time that a transfer would be welcome.
Hate to say that, because each underclassman has a legitimate chance to contribute

Have schools ever accepted one too many signed letters in early period,
expecting a defection ? (or just leaving the problem open till spring)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:52:37 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »
If we wound up with the South Kent duo and Williams, it would be the most solid overall class of the Roberts era.

Hate to say that, because each underclassman has a legitimate chance to contribute

Someone should be told nicely that they will not get off the bench and would be better off elsewhere

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »
The one thing you have been able to count on, with out fail, during the Norm Roberts Era is kids transferring....     it has happened every year..  and will happen again...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »

Definitely.  It happened a couple of times this year, I think: in fact U Conn might have been over by a schollie.  Washington State has one guy who is paying his way to get another player on the roster.  I don't get the feeling that Parrom (or Durand Scott) is coming; I think Lawrence and Williams, the staff has a solid chance to bring them in.  So the team may not have any transfers; nobody's talking about players being disaffected (as Larry Wright was after the first year) and I can't think of anyone who will be dissatisfied with their role (maybe Paris, but he'll get a LOT of time off the bench).

Someone will have to transfer before 2010, more likely - that's a loaded class with guys like Lamb, Harris, Poole, Regan, Southwell, Buie, Collier, Pankey...

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »

Definitely.  It happened a couple of times this year, I think: in fact U Conn might have been over by a schollie.  Washington State has one guy who is paying his way to get another player on the roster.  I don't get the feeling that Parrom (or Durand Scott) is coming; I think Lawrence and Williams, the staff has a solid chance to bring them in.  So the team may not have any transfers; nobody's talking about players being disaffected (as Larry Wright was after the first year) and I can't think of anyone who will be dissatisfied with their role (maybe Paris, but he'll get a LOT of time off the bench).

Someone will have to transfer before 2010, more likely - that's a loaded class with guys like Lamb, Harris, Poole, Regan, Southwell, Buie, Collier, Pankey...
I would be shocked if Buie, Regan, Lamb, or Harris came to STJ.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »
Hey- my fault this got off topic.

I was just talking about Williams plus others.

I like the fact that his sister's here. But that could be a + or -.

Some kids never want to go to where an older sibling goes.
Molloy '71

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
Hey- my fault this got off topic.

I was just talking about Williams plus others.

I like the fact that his sister's here. But that could be a + or -.

Some kids never want to go to where an older sibling goes.

The question that comes to mind with me is that I wonder if his father/mother went to St. John's
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:44:25 PM »
no they didn't but his uncle went to uconn and his moms is very protective so he may go to a school close to home who knows

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »
From SJUhoopnut of redmen.com :

Nice article on scout, he singles us out as a school that was there from the beginning, and his sister goes to ST.J. The kid has had a great summer.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/775318.html

“I’m thinking about [the recruiting process], but it’s tough because a lot of these schools just started recruiting me, so I haven’t really gotten a good feel for any of these schools, besides St. John’s,” Williams said. “They’ve been there since before most of these schools and my sister goes there.”

With the obvious St. John’s connection and their persistence with his recruitment, does that give them an extra edge?

“I wouldn’t say that it puts them in a stronger position, but I’m not going to forget about them just because some other bigger schools have started to recruit me,” Williams said. “They are still going to be there, just because of the fact that they were there in the beginning.”

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:26:13 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3536556)

Jordan Williams, 6-8 PF
Senior, Torrington, Conn.
Williams has to continue to reshape his body and add muscle. Increasing his muscle tone would only serve to enhance his already impressive strength -- it would make Williams an absolute terror in the post. Though he did not receive a great deal of touches in the post, he still ran the floor very well and finished off breaks when he got the chance. He could use his body to establish positioning for scoring and demand the ball more, but those skills should come as Williams gains more confidence in his abilities.

Williams does a good job of rebounding in traffic, but given his frame and his tools, he could become an even better rebounder with better conditioning. He does a really good job of using his size and deceptive athleticism to alter/block shots. Williams has a great deal of upside and should continue to improve.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:28 AM »
Jordan Williams Terps Staff

September 11, 2008

Dan Painter, TerrapinTimes.com

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=849040

So where does this leave the Terps after gaining the first home visit?

"Well, Marquette actually visited me today [Wednesday], and I have St. John's and Providence coming in next week," said Williams. "There could be a few more after that like Indiana, but they are not set just yet.

"I can tell you that I am going to take an official visit there [Maryland]. I am thinking about coming down for their Maryland Madness, since it sounds like that is also Homecoming Weekend and a lot will be going on. Right now, that is the tentative plan, but it's possible I could visit before then. This process is just beginning in terms of home and official visits, and I am not ready to say anyone is leading at this point. But Maryland is definitely going to be in the mix."

The 6-9 insider from Torrington, CT burst on the scene this spring and summer for the NE Playaz AAU club, and Maryland followed him on the July camp/AAU circuit from Las Vegas to California after first seeing him in the spring in Rhode Island. He is a skilled big man that can face or play with his back to the basket. He averaged 27 ppg as a junior.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
I think Jordan Williams should be our top target now that Parrom is off the board. I think we need size more than anything and I think Williams is the best guy to nab. Maryland has been pulling out the red carpet for Williams lately so hopefully we're not out of the drivers seat for Williams.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
I'd say:

1.  Lance Stephenson
2.  Jordan Williams
3.  Durand Scott (no way he's coming here anyway)
4.  James Padgett

I'll have to see David Bruce play.  But if we strike out with all of these guys, we may be better off saving the scholarship for 2010.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »
Injured over the weekend (http://blog.northstarbball.com/2008/09/21/fall-jam-fest-day-one-overview-septmeber-20-2008.aspx):

In the group’s second matchup, Jordan Williams, who also has a legitimate argument as the best player in attendance, came down hard on his ankle. Williams had to be walked off the court and after the game had to be walked out of the gym, as he was unable to put any pressure on the ankle. According to Williams’ teammate Austin Carroll, “he sprained his ankle pretty badly.” Carroll also mentioned that Williams, regarded as one America’s best uncommitted senior big men, would not even be at the gym on Sunday.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
I saw someone on Redmen worrying about this line:

Williams said it’s likely he’ll make a decision not to long after his visit to St. John’s last weekend, which would seem to play in Maryland’s favor. Nothing is done yet, but the Terps appear to be in a very good position with Williams.

That "good position" line is promo BS.  I think that definitely puts things in St. John's favor; if he loved Maryland so much, he would have committed there.  He has positive things to say... as does any recruit.  Coach Roberts, seal the deal!

kjd01067

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
I saw someone on Redmen worrying about this line:

Williams said it’s likely he’ll make a decision not to long after his visit to St. John’s last weekend, which would seem to play in Maryland’s favor. Nothing is done yet, but the Terps appear to be in a very good position with Williams.

That "good position" line is promo BS.  I think that definitely puts things in St. John's favor; if he loved Maryland so much, he would have committed there.  He has positive things to say... as does any recruit.  Coach Roberts, seal the deal!

Good point Peter and the other thing to remember is that this report was written for the maryland scout page... of course they are going to put a positive spin on it.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
jordan williams will be visiting st johns tomorrow (friday), and some of the students want to make signs, etc, to really try to wow him....anything we should know about jordan or any ideas\suggestions please respond asap because we're working on some of the signs and posters right now

mkras99

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
jordan williams will be visiting st johns tomorrow (friday), and some of the students want to make signs, etc, to really try to wow him....anything we should know about jordan or any ideas\suggestions please respond asap because we're working on some of the signs and posters right now

Make sure to make signs for Omari too!

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »

Make sure to make signs for Omari too!

yea we're doing that too but at this point we're a little more concerned with getting jordan...reading through here i see he wants to be a cop, he wants to go somewhere where he can actually make a difference, and his sister goes here...we're coming up with some creative things going off that and we're still thinking of other things..again, any ideas\suggestions let me know!!!