• 315 replies

paultzman

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:45:47 PM by kjd01067 »

Johnny23

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
Kid was getting a lot of big offers for football but he wants to play hoops in college. He's a 6'5 PF. Nice kid but not a BE level PF at all. We need a real big. Pass.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »
This is the kind of kid you take a chance in. Not some pansy from Europe.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
Kid was getting a lot of big offers for football but he wants to play hoops in college. He's a 6'5 PF. Nice kid but not a BE level PF at all. We need a real big. Pass.

Sure, Big time talent would be nice. Maybe not an option. We have plenty of length, having a guy who can win an arm wrestling match could come in handy. Maybe he develops and helps us down the road.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »
Really like his intangibles and leadership qualities, hope the staff locks him up along with another local star Griffin soon. They then shoot for the moon and compete for Brown to close out the class.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
Really like his intangibles and leadership qualities, hope the staff locks him up along with another local star Griffin soon. They then shoot for the moon and compete for Brown to close out the class.

We have 6 guys eligible to return next year. Plus 3 sitting out. Plus 2 commits. As it stands we have two openings. Of course we are liable to have a departure. Would rather sign one of those two guys you mentioned and then grab a grad or sit out transfer.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »

Sure, Big time talent would be nice. Maybe not an option. We have plenty of length, having a guy who can win an arm wrestling match could come in handy. Maybe he develops and helps us down the road.

Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question. He's a really good HS player and these are some of the best Bosco teams in their bball history over his last few years. But he's a mid major college player. I just don't want to see the staff using a really precious scholly on an undersized PF who is solid but not much more.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't mind undersized because we need toughness. I would welcome him.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

I agree, Take a flyer on this kid. He’s small for a big east pf, but maybe he grows a few inches and  by soph year he becomes a rotational player.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »

Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question. He's a really good HS player and these are some of the best Bosco teams in their bball history over his last few years. But he's a mid major college player. I just don't want to see the staff using a really precious scholly on an undersized PF who is solid but not much more.

Undersized 4s are not unicorns in college basketball. How tall was anything Glover?

Jordan Murphy on Minnesota is 6’6 240 averaging 17 pts and nearly 12 boards. 

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »

Undersized 4s are not unicorns in college basketball. How tall was anything Glover?

Good undersized PF's are definitely unicorns. You just named one that hasn't played in 15 years or whatever. Furthermore, both those guys were high rated players coming out of HS. Earlington is not. Marginal BE level player at best. Staff should be setting sights higher.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

I agree, Take a flyer on this kid. He’s small for a big east pf, but maybe he grows a few inches and  by soph year he becomes a rotational player.
I never heard about this kid until an hour ago. He says he wants to play divison 1 Basketball. He is turning down high major football offers to bet on himself. At the very least he will battle in practice. If it doesn’t work out. He leaves. The kid rebounds and is tough. He is also local.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »

Good undersized PF's are definitely unicorns. You just named one that hasn't played in 15 years or whatever. Furthermore, both those guys were high rated players coming out of HS. Earlington is not. Marginal BE level player at best. Staff should be setting sights higher.

No one is projecting him to be all BE. Everyone would love a highly ranked kid.
How tall was Justin brownley? Christian jones? DJ Kennedy was 6’5 and excelled at the 4 spot.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
Hell Justin Simon is 6'5'' and isn't even a PF and held his own at times in the post against Wendell Carter a future NBA Player.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »

How tall was Justin brownley? Christian jones? DJ Kennedy was 6’5 and excelled at the 4 spot.
Bad comparison. Don’t think he is anything like those 3.
is he anthony Glover good? Lamont Middleton good? If yes to either I am fine with it. If he is Dexter gray 2.0 we should pass.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »

is he anthony Glover good? Lamont Middleton good? If yes to either I am fine with it. If he is Dexter gray 2.0 we should pass.

Missing the point.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »

Missing the point.
No think you are. DJ was not a 4. He rebounded well for a wing. He could also guard a post player. He was listed as 6’6 Brownlee was also a wing . He was athletic. Close to 6’7 . Don’t really remember his defense. Christina looked the part.
The 3 guys I mentioned were all short PF’s. Probably before your time.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

Missing the point.
No think you are. DJ was not a 4. He rebounded well for a wing. He could also guard a post player. He was listed as 6’6 Brownlee was also a wing . He was athletic. Close to 6’7 . Don’t really remember his defense. Christina looked the part.
The 3 guys I mentioned were all short PF’s. Probably before your time.

Just read the thread you quoted. Talking about undersized 4’s. Brownlee started at the 5 senior year. DJ the 4. Jones averaged 8 and 6. You hated him I get it. We could use him.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question

Perry McDonald. Jerome Lane. Adrian Griffin. Roger McCready. Mike Gansey. They all killed us.